Prescription glasses recommendation

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by The Keithster, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. I've read all the previous posts re cheap vs. expensive glasses. Very amusing, however, I need
    something decent that will hold a prescription lens. I have had Oakley 5 prescriptions in the past
    and liked the fit however the frames were subject to cracking (without benefit of hitting parked
    car). Oakley replaced them but I guess I'd rather not have to replace frames just from wearing
    them. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and have a recommendation on a decent pair for duathlon?
    Thanks much.

    By the way, any comment on fitovers for regular specs?

    Tags:

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    I bought Briko after reading a review in Bicycling. Suffice it to say, that I'm sorry that I did.

    Tom

    "The Keithster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've read all the previous posts re cheap vs. expensive glasses. Very amusing, however, I need
    > something decent that will hold a prescription lens. I have had Oakley 5 prescriptions in the past
    > and liked the fit however the frames were subject to cracking (without benefit of hitting parked
    > car). Oakley replaced them but I guess I'd rather not have to replace frames just from wearing
    > them. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and have a recommendation on a decent pair for duathlon?
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > By the way, any comment on fitovers for regular specs?

  3. John Hardt

    John Hardt Guest

    On 1/31/03 11:16 AM, in article, "The Keithster" wrote:

    > I've read all the previous posts re cheap vs. expensive glasses. Very amusing, however, I need
    > something decent that will hold a prescription lens. I have had Oakley 5 prescriptions in the past
    > and liked the fit however the frames were subject to cracking (without benefit of hitting parked
    > car). Oakley replaced them but I guess I'd rather not have to replace frames just from wearing
    > them. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and have a recommendation on a decent pair for duathlon?
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > By the way, any comment on fitovers for regular specs?

    I went to Sunglass Hut and picked up a $10 pair of plastic, non-prescription Ray Bans. Then I walked
    across the mall to Lenscrafters, handed the pair to a salesperson and told them I wanted
    prescription lenses put in them. His first reaction was "uh... gee... I don't know if we can do
    that" but after pressing a little, the guy in the lab said it wasn't a problem.

    The end result is a pair of prescription sunglasses that cost under $100. They have survived a lot
    of everyday abuse such as dumping them in the bottom of a transition bag, sitting on them, etc
    (although no major incidents yet). So far, I've been nothing but happy with them.

    John

  4. Witheld

    Witheld Guest

    "The Keithster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've read all the previous posts re cheap vs. expensive glasses. Very amusing, however, I need
    > something decent that will hold a prescription lens. I have had Oakley 5 prescriptions in the past
    > and liked the fit however the frames were subject to cracking (without benefit of hitting parked
    > car). Oakley replaced them but I guess I'd rather not have to replace frames just from wearing
    > them. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and have a recommendation on a decent pair for duathlon?
    > Thanks much.
    >
    > By the way, any comment on fitovers for regular specs?

    I am using a set made ("marketed" is probably more accurate) by Adidas. Lot's of adjustments for
    lens angle, nose-width. The design is similar to the Bolle/Briko in that the prescription is not
    part of the eyeshield - - like Oakley.

    I would buy them again. I have had these for three years and I expect that there are more available
    options available these days.

    BTW: I dropped the Oakley's for the same reasons. I also didn't like the behind-the-eyeshield design
    because I have long eyelashes; the Briko and Bolle design (small specs attached to the nose-piece)
    didn't work. Adidas has the same basic design, with just a little more room.

    rsquared