Prescription glasses recommendation

T

The Keithster

I've read all the previous posts re cheap vs. expensive glasses. Very amusing, however, I need
something decent that will hold a prescription lens. I have had Oakley 5 prescriptions in the past
and liked the fit however the frames were subject to cracking (without benefit of hitting parked
car). Oakley replaced them but I guess I'd rather not have to replace frames just from wearing
them. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and have a recommendation on a decent pair for duathlon?
Thanks much.

By the way, any comment on fitovers for regular specs?

I bought Briko after reading a review in Bicycling. Suffice it to say, that I'm sorry that I did.

Tom

"The Keithster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've read all the previous posts re cheap vs. expensive glasses. Very amusing, however, I need
> something decent that will hold a prescription lens. I have had Oakley 5 prescriptions in the past
> and liked the fit however the frames were subject to cracking (without benefit of hitting parked
> car). Oakley replaced them but I guess I'd rather not have to replace frames just from wearing
> them. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and have a recommendation on a decent pair for duathlon?
> Thanks much.
>
> By the way, any comment on fitovers for regular specs?

On 1/31/03 11:16 AM, in article, "The Keithster" wrote:

> I've read all the previous posts re cheap vs. expensive glasses. Very amusing, however, I need
> something decent that will hold a prescription lens. I have had Oakley 5 prescriptions in the past
> and liked the fit however the frames were subject to cracking (without benefit of hitting parked
> car). Oakley replaced them but I guess I'd rather not have to replace frames just from wearing
> them. Anyone use prescription sunglasses and have a recommendation on a decent pair for duathlon?
> Thanks much.
>

I went to Sunglass Hut and picked up a $10 pair of plastic, non-prescription Ray Bans. Then I walked
across the mall to Lenscrafters, handed the pair to a salesperson and told them I wanted
prescription lenses put in them. His first reaction was "uh... gee... I don't know if we can do
that" but after pressing a little, the guy in the lab said it wasn't a problem.

The end result is a pair of prescription sunglasses that cost under $100. They have survived a lot
of everyday abuse such as dumping them in the bottom of a transition bag, sitting on them, etc
(although no major incidents yet). So far, I've been nothing but happy with them.

John

"The Keithster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks much.
>

I am using a set made ("marketed" is probably more accurate) by Adidas. Lot's of adjustments for
lens angle, nose-width. The design is similar to the Bolle/Briko in that the prescription is not
part of the eyeshield - - like Oakley.

I would buy them again. I have had these for three years and I expect that there are more available
options available these days.

BTW: I dropped the Oakley's for the same reasons. I also didn't like the behind-the-eyeshield design
because I have long eyelashes; the Briko and Bolle design (small specs attached to the nose-piece)
didn't work. Adidas has the same basic design, with just a little more room.

rsquared