Prescription Lens Sun Specs

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Anonymous, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    I'm sure this subject will have been done to death but bear
    with me. I'm interested in peoples experiences of "cycling
    eye wear" fitted with prescription lens. Until now I have
    been using a pair of tinted "ordinary" specs. Nothing wrong
    with what I have but I like the idea of the greater
    protection offered by some of the styles available.. I took
    a pair Rudy Project Kerosene's borrowed from one of my
    daughters along with the clip-in prescription lens holder
    into my optician for their opinion on fitting lens with my
    prescription into them. My prescription is +3.5 both eyes.
    This is within the correction limits Rudy Project state for
    the clip in holders. The opticians said they could get the
    lens fitted but were a bit doubtful of complete success on
    the grounds that the lenses would be very close to my eyes
    and there is significant curvature with this type of frame.
    They suggested I canvas opinion of other users as they have
    had very little experience of what I was trying to do and
    none with.Rudy Project..

    So there it is.

    Any advice/experiences will be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    Roger

    Tags:

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    >" My prescription is +3.5 both eyes. This is within the
    >correction limits
    Rudy
    > Project state for the clip in holders."

    Depending on the curvature of lenses selected to go into the
    clip I would imagine there might be more of a problem with
    the from of the insert rubbing on the back of the sunglass
    lens. All it would need is sensible lens selection and the
    lenses to be surfaced to suitable centre substance. You
    would get a better result with a higher index material than
    standard plastic
    (CR39) but this would obviously put the cost up a bit.

    We don't sell Rudy Project but I have had the chance to have
    a good look at their products and they seem very well made
    with clever design ideas. Kerosene in particular with it's
    flippy front is very smart.

    Cheers

    Paul F

  3. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    Roger wrote:

    > I'm sure this subject will have been done to death but
    > bear with me. I'm interested in peoples experiences of
    > "cycling eye wear" fitted with prescription lens. Until
    > now I have been using a pair of tinted "ordinary" specs.
    > Nothing wrong with what I have but I like the idea of the
    > greater protection offered by some of the styles
    > available.. I took a pair Rudy Project Kerosene's borrowed
    > from one of my daughters along with the clip-in
    > prescription lens holder into my optician for their
    > opinion on fitting lens with my prescription into them. My
    > prescription is +3.5 both eyes. This is within the
    > correction limits Rudy Project state for the clip in
    > holders. The opticians said they could get the lens fitted
    > but were a bit doubtful of complete success on the grounds
    > that the lenses would be very close to my eyes and there
    > is significant curvature with this type of frame. They
    > suggested I canvas opinion of other users as they have had
    > very little experience of what I was trying to do and none
    > with.Rudy Project..
    >
    > So there it is.
    >
    > Any advice/experiences will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Roger

    I think you can get prescription lenses put into some of the
    oakley sunglasses. (Not sure about the cycling specific
    wraps though) I wouldn't like to venture on how much they
    might cost though. You must be loooking at at least £200

  4. news:[email protected]...
    > I'm sure this subject will have been done to death but
    > bear with me. I'm interested in peoples experiences of
    > "cycling eye wear" fitted with prescription lens. Until
    > now I have been using a pair of tinted "ordinary"
    > specs. Nothing
    wrong
    > with what I have but I like the idea of the greater
    > protection offered by some of the styles available.. I
    > took a pair Rudy Project Kerosene's borrowed from one of
    > my daughters along with the clip-in prescription lens
    > holder into my optician for their opinion on fitting lens
    > with my prescription into them. My prescription is +3.5
    > both eyes. This is within the correction limits
    Rudy
    > Project state for the clip in holders. The opticians said
    > they could get the lens fitted but were a bit doubtful
    of
    > complete success on the grounds that the lenses would be
    > very close to my eyes and there is significant curvature
    > with this type of frame. They suggested I canvas opinion
    > of other users as they have had very
    little
    > experience of what I was trying to do and none with.Rudy
    > Project..
    >
    > So there it is.
    >
    > Any advice/experiences will be greatly appreciated.

    I've not used the Rudy Projects but I've had two sets of
    Bollés - first Edge IIs and now Vigilantes. Bolle do another
    design that also takes prescription lenses called the Parole
    - I tried these but the insert ended up too close to my eyes
    and my eyelashes got hung up on them! The Vigilantes are
    great, come with 3 different sets of coloured lenses and
    cost me <£100 all in, including my prescription lenses.
    Details are on their website at www.bolle.com - look for
    Sport Optical System. I have no connection with Bollé other
    than as a satisfied customer.

    --
    Pete
    ===

  5. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Pete Franklin wrote:

    > I've not used the Rudy Projects but I've had two sets of
    > Boll=E9s - fir=
    st Edge
    > IIs and now Vigilantes. Bolle do another design that also
    > takes prescri=
    ption
    > lenses called the Parole - I tried these but the insert
    > ended up too cl=
    ose
    > to my eyes and my eyelashes got hung up on them!=20

    AFAICT the Parole is basically a slightly smaller version of
    the=20 Vigilante for folk with slightly smaller heads. Just
    a case of try them =

    both and see which works best for you.

    > come with 3 different sets of coloured lenses and cost me
    > <=A3100 all i=
    n,
    > including my prescription lenses.

    That's very good, mine cost me =A3110 with clear and grey
    lens. I=20 subsequently picked up an amber set for another
    =A318, so you did better =

    than I did on price! (and I've come across higher prices
    than I paid).

    I recently got the prescription insert reglazed with a new
    prescription, =

    which has the nice effect of three new prescription lens
    sets for the=20 price of 1 because the same insert works for
    all of the outer lenses.=20 Because the prescription insert
    itself is relatively flat it isn't a=20 Complete Beast to
    glaze, which I think is the case with directly=20 prescription-
    glazing a wraparound style lens. I've been happy with my=20
    Vigilantes. They are slightly less comfy with the insert in,
    just from=20 the extra weight, but not to an extent that's
    caused me problems.

    Pete. --=20 Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382
    660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44
    1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net
    [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. I use Bolle Edge with inserts-great .
    John.
    http://www.pbase.com/john28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Peter Clinch"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... Pete Franklin wrote:

    > I've not used the Rudy Projects but I've had two sets of
    > Bollés - first
    Edge
    > IIs and now Vigilantes. Bolle do another design that
    > also takes
    prescription
    > lenses called the Parole - I tried these but the insert
    > ended up too close to my eyes and my eyelashes got hung up
    > on them!

    AFAICT the Parole is basically a slightly smaller version of
    the Vigilante for folk with slightly smaller heads. Just a
    case of try them both and see which works best for you.

    > come with 3 different sets of coloured lenses and cost me
    > <£100 all in, including my prescription lenses.

    That's very good, mine cost me £110 with clear and grey
    lens. I subsequently picked up an amber set for another £18,
    so you did better than I did on price! (and I've come across
    higher prices than I paid).

    I recently got the prescription insert reglazed with a new
    prescription, which has the nice effect of three new
    prescription lens sets for the price of 1 because the same
    insert works for all of the outer lenses. Because the
    prescription insert itself is relatively flat it isn't a
    Complete Beast to glaze, which I think is the case with
    directly prescription-glazing a wraparound style lens. I've
    been happy with my Vigilantes. They are slightly less comfy
    with the insert in, just from the extra weight, but not to
    an extent that's caused me problems.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 01:39:14 +0000, Roger wrote: Loads of
    snips.
    > Rudy Project Kerosene's .... My prescription is +3.5 both
    > eyes..... The opticians said they could get the lens
    > fitted but were a bit doubtful.... They suggested I canvas
    > opinion of other users ....

    Yes, I have these glasses, and have used them for Summer
    racing for 2 years, they are excellent.They do give a
    strange distortion when viewing things close up (mine are
    -1.5, and -3.75) - I went to pick up a pen to sign on, and
    missed the pen - close up things look further away, but
    after a couple of minutes the effect doesnt seem to bother
    me.General riding is fine, it is just things at arms length
    that look strange for a while. Someone else has mentioned
    the same effect with theirs on here as well before. Alan.

    http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North
    Midlands.

  8. Doki

    Doki Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > I'm sure this subject will have been done to death but
    > bear with me. I'm interested in peoples experiences of
    > "cycling eye wear" fitted with prescription lens.

    Why not try contact lenses? They're miles ahead of glasses
    IMO. The main problem is that you can only keep basic ones
    in for 12 hours of so before they start getting dry.

  9. Nc

    Nc Guest

    Peter Clinch wrote:
    > Pete Franklin wrote:
    >
    >> I've not used the Rudy Projects but I've had two sets of
    >> Bollés - first Edge IIs and now Vigilantes. Bolle do
    >> another design that also takes prescription lenses called
    >> the Parole - I tried these but the insert ended up too
    >> close to my eyes and my eyelashes got hung up on them!
    >
    > AFAICT the Parole is basically a slightly smaller
    > version of the Vigilante for folk with slightly smaller
    > heads. Just a case of try them both and see which works
    > best for you.

    Another vote for the Parole/Vigilante. Works very well,
    weight not a problem for many hours of wearing. Also
    useful in windy conditions when hill walking and for cross-
    country skiing.

    Other alternative would be contact lenses and any plain (no
    correction) shades.

    >> come with 3 different sets of coloured lenses and cost me
    >> <£100 all in, including my prescription lenses.
    >
    > That's very good, mine cost me £110 with clear and grey
    > lens. I subsequently picked up an amber set for another
    > £18, so you did better than I did on price! (and I've come
    > across higher prices than I paid).

    Much better price than I got; around £120 for a set of four
    colours (clear, pink, brown, half-mirror) and the insert.
    Plus about £40 for prescription lens in the insert.

    Pink is good for X-country skiing in flat light (*), but
    makes greens look very strange, so I don't use it in the UK
    for cycling. Brown isn't a lot of use IMHO. Half-mirror is
    very good in bright light, being a neutral colour, just
    reducing the light. Clear is useful in UK dull conditions to
    keep grit/insects/wind from the eyes.

    Light yellow might be useful in dull conditions in the UK,
    and I might buy a pair.

    (* worn most days last week in Norway, even in modest
    sunshine. Swapped to half-mirror on the brightest days.
    Pink has wierd effects if your colleagues have pink skins,
    their skis appear to be riding on pink flourescent lamps;
    nearest equivalent would be under-car lights as used by a
    Max-Power reader. )

    - Nigel

    --
    NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to
    newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:11:09 -0000, "Doki" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Why not try contact lenses? They're miles ahead of
    >glasses IMO.

    Unless you have astigmatism and amblyopia in which case you
    will see half as well and get thumping headaches.

    Moving swiftly on, I find the Rudy Project Kerosenes pretty
    good. I have plain, tinted and polarised lenses. Getting the
    inserts made up is a job for a proper optician, and I
    recommend high-index plastic rather than polycarbonate,
    which is rather prone to scratches.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  11. Doki

    Doki Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:11:09 -0000, "Doki"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >> Why not try contact lenses? They're miles ahead of
    >> glasses IMO.
    >
    > Unless you have astigmatism and amblyopia in which case
    > you will see half as well and get thumping headaches.

    I suspect the optician would have more idea about this than
    me. If you can get used to putting them in and taking them
    out, and have no medical problems with them, they're
    absolutely fantastic compared to glasses. You can see
    properly without having to worry about looking though
    glasses, if you see what I mean, there are no problems with
    rain, no problems with binoculars etc.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:48:25 -0000, "Doki" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >I suspect the optician would have more idea about this than
    >me. If you can get used to putting them in and taking them
    >out, and have no medical problems with them, they're
    >absolutely fantastic compared to glasses. You can see
    >properly without having to worry about looking though
    >glasses, if you see what I mean, there are no problems with
    >rain, no problems with binoculars etc.

    A significant number of people never get on with them, and
    it was the opinion of my optician that corrected vision is
    typically better with spectacles. I also like the fact that
    my sole working eye is protected by a nice piece of
    bulletproof plastic. Frankly I find the "problems" of
    wearing specs to be negligible. The only time I've ever felt
    the need to try contacts was so I could see the girlies in
    circuit classes (where I remove my bins to prevent them
    heading floorwards at an inconvenient moment).

    --
    Guy
    ===
    posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
    Washington University

  13. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > I'm sure this subject will have been done to death but
    > bear with me. I'm interested in peoples experiences of
    > "cycling eye wear" fitted with prescription lens.

    I wear specs all the time and until recently suffered when
    going downhill with streaming eyes and consequent reduced
    vision. My glasses were fairly normal ones with trendy small
    rectangular lenses.

    I've never liked the look of cycling specs as I think they
    make you look a twit. Instead I got a pair of aviator type
    sunglasses made up with my prescription ( blind as a bat,
    long sighted and varifocal) in reactolite type stuff. They
    ended up costing a packet (more than oaklys) as I went for
    the super thin lenses with coatings, to avoid the blind boy
    with milk bottle bottoms look, and varifocal so I can look
    at a map, fix a puncture etc.

    They do look like something from the 70's, but I find they
    work very well, I can go down hill as fast as I like and see
    fine, I don't look like an alien when I stop to buy some
    fags, the optical feel is the same as my normal glasses and
    I can uses them at night or in the sun without faffing about
    changing shades. They do steam up at traffic lights, but I
    guess that would happen with cycling specs as well. Also if
    I break my normal specs I've got a decent spare pair.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this:

  14. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Unless you have ... amblyopia

    The inability to see amblyances? Surely the screaming sirens
    and flashing lights help?

    <quick Google> Aah! So that's what it means!

    Graeme

  15. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "A.Lee" <[email protected]+.com> wrote in news:Z%k5c.23245$Y%6.2258682
    @wards.force9.net:

    > Someone else has mentioned the same effect with theirs on
    > here as well before.

    I get a very similar effect when I change between my glasses
    and my contacts during the day (going either way round).
    Everything is still in perfect focus, but my depth
    perception seems to have changed somewhat. Maybe it's
    because the focussing lens is a centimetre or so away from
    the eye for the glasses and on the eye for the contacts?

    Graeme

  16. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    NC wrote:

    [about lens colours]

    I have clear, grey and amber. Grey are standard sunglasses
    and I use the clears when it's normal conditions but I
    want to see better via the prescription insert. Amber is
    quite good high contrast which I mainly use for skiing in
    dull conditions and they don't get out too much on the
    bike, though if it's one of those bright but not directly
    sunny days I'll sometimes use them for that. Without the
    skiing I'd probably not have bothered though with the
    ambers though.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  17. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Doki wrote:

    > Why not try contact lenses? They're miles ahead of glasses
    > IMO. The main problem is that you can only keep basic ones
    > in for 12 hours of so before they start getting dry.

    In my particular case my eyes aren't bad enough to bother
    with the extra faff: I can survive quite happily without my
    prescription lenses, but I do prefer to see as clearly as
    possible when mixing it with the traffic.

    But if my eyes get worse they'll be high up the
    consideration list.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext.
    33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177
    Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  18. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:28:30 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:11:09 -0000, "Doki"
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message
    ><[email protected]>:
    >
    >>Why not try contact lenses? They're miles ahead of
    >>glasses IMO.
    >
    >Unless you have astigmatism and amblyopia in which case you
    >will see half as well and get thumping headaches.

    Depends on how serious your astigmatism is. Or how much dosh
    you want to lay out. For mild astigmatism (dunno the
    numbers) I get acceptable results with vanilla daily
    disposables. For more serious astigmatism, toric lenses are
    available, for more serious amounts of money.

    Dunno what amblyopia is so can't comment.

    Tim

  19. Gwyn Oakley

    Gwyn Oakley Guest

    In message <[email protected]>
    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:48:25 -0000, "Doki"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >I suspect the optician would have more idea about this
    > >than me. If you can get used to putting them in and
    > >taking them out, and have no medical problems with them,
    > >they're absolutely fantastic compared to glasses. You
    > >can see properly without having to worry about looking
    > >though glasses, if you see what I mean, there are no
    > >problems with rain, no problems with binoculars etc.
    >
    > A significant number of people never get on with them,
    > and it was the opinion of my optician that corrected
    > vision is typically better with spectacles. I also like
    > the fact that my sole working eye is protected by a nice
    > piece of bulletproof plastic. Frankly I find the
    > "problems" of wearing specs to be negligible. The only
    > time I've ever felt the need to try contacts was so I
    > could see the girlies in circuit classes (where I remove
    > my bins to prevent them heading floorwards at an
    > inconvenient moment).

    My preference is for contacts when cycling especially in the
    rain in the dark. I can wear contacts all day on the bike no
    problem, but within 1/2 an hour inside I get dry and
    irritated eyes. I also like the improved peripheral vision
    and the fact that I dont get the rim of the glasses
    interfering with my view - for me this is a particular
    problem as AS means restricted back and neck movement.

    --
    Gwyn

  20. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:09:28 GMT, Gwyn Oakley <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >My preference is for contacts when cycling especially in
    >the rain in the dark. I can wear contacts all day on the
    >bike no problem, but within 1/2 an hour inside I get dry
    >and irritated eyes. I also like the improved peripheral
    >vision and the fact that I dont get the rim of the glasses
    >interfering with my view - for me this is a particular
    >problem as AS means restricted back and neck movement.

    I use cycling glasses with prescription inserts on the stick-
    bike(s) and my normal bins on the 'bent. Neither gives me
    problems with peripheral vision - I buy bins with larger-than-
    fashionable frames because I am very sensitive to incursions
    into my peripheral vision, what with my funny eyes and all.
    I tried contacts riding in the rain and in the dry. In the
    dry the wind in my eyes had me reaching for the goggles
    straight away, and in the rain I couldn't see diddly because
    I spent the whole time blinking away the water (and worrying
    about losing the lens). On the whole a pair of bins or
    goggles and a peak or visor to keep the worst of the water
    out of the upper face works well for me.

    --
    Guy
    ===