Prescription lenses and decent cycling glasses

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke wrote on 08/01/2007 23:34 +0100:
>>
>> However, Oakleys are the only people as far as I know who do any
>> prescription lens without an insert, and they don't do varifocal... so I
>> think I'm going to have to have an insert.
>>
>> That, or wander around with two pairs of glasses on my head!

> Have you tried it with normal glasses with your prescription in? I
> doubt very much that if your distance vision is corrected you won't be
> able to read any normal large digit bike computer display with them. In
> which case you can just get Oakleys fitted with your prescription.

Believe me. With my driving glasses I can read the big digits of the main
display, but not the smaller displays. And I cannot read a map or a
typical audax routesheet.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

Tony Raven <[email protected]> writed in
news:[email protected]:

> Alan Braggins wrote on 09/01/2007 13:56 +0100:
>> Simon Brooke wrote:

>> This weekend I learnt some orienteers use two contact lenses of
>> different prescriptions, one eye for distance vision, one for
>> map-reading... Not everyone gets on with contact lenses though, and
>> on a bike I think I'd rather not have a speedo than lose some distant
>> peripheral vision.

> I tried that and found it the worst of both worlds. You can get
> bifocal and multifocal contact lenses by the way.

(go google monovision )
I wear varifocal spec's, but for when I prefer contacts I have good
vision with one contact lens. I can't remember when I last bought any
left eye lenses!
This was an arrangement suggested by the optician, and she was right in
suggesting that it takes a while for your brain to adapt - but it does
very well. I now find that I can go with one lens at the drop of a ....
lens.
The only time this arrangement causes problems is driving (car) at night
(I get what looks like flares from on-coming headlights). Curiously
cycling at night isn't an issue.

Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>>Right, I have got to the point of old age and decrepitude where I need
>>prescription lenses for my cycling glasses. Or at least, to be more
>>precise, I need either bifocal or varifocal lenses, since I can't focus on
>>the road ahead and on my speedometer thingy with the same strength of
>>lens.

> [...]
>>Any recommendations?

> This weekend I learnt some orienteers use two contact lenses of different
> prescriptions, one eye for distance vision, one for map-reading...
> Not everyone gets on with contact lenses though, and on a bike I think
> I'd rather not have a speedo than lose some distant peripheral vision.

But peripheral vision doesn't give a hoot about your near or far lens
correction, it's far too vague for that to matter.

--
Chris Malcolm [email protected] DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Simon Brooke wrote:
> Any recommendations?

I'd recommend Optilabs. They'll do standard prescription, bifocals and
varifocals in most of their frames. I went for Rapides with mirrored
lenses (single vision prescription) for about 140 quid. Delivered
within 10 days. Very good. They fit snugly and stop the wind getting in
on fast descents.

I wear them during the daylight portions of an Audax and carry my
normal prescription glasses for the dawn/dusk/night portions of the
ride.

I was hoping to use them for skiing this year but other commitments
have prevented me from booking a skiing holiday.

I've also just bought a pair of prescription swimming goggles from
Optilabs, haven't tried them out in a pool yet (local pool late to
reopen after refurb).

Ta,

-Alex

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke
[email protected] says...
> Right, I have got to the point of old age and decrepitude where I need
> prescription lenses for my cycling glasses. Or at least, to be more
> precise, I need either bifocal or varifocal lenses, since I can't focus on
> the road ahead and on my speedometer thingy with the same strength of
> lens.
>
> I've used Oakley M-Frames for years, and I very much like them. They're
> hideously expensive but they work well, fit well, are comfortable, and *I*
> think they're stylish. Unfortunately, Oakley don't make bifocal or
> varifocal lenses for them; unlike other makes of sports glasses,
> the 'prescription' bit isn't an insert, it's the whole lens, and making
> them varifocal apparently doesn't work.
>
> Bother.
>
> So I need to get something else. I'd like something that looks like an
> M-Frame - i.e. a one piece visor without side or bottom frame - and is
> comfortable and well made, not flimsy.
>
> Any recommendations?

I've not followed this thread so someone may have already suggested
this, but what about a corrective lens for the computer display?

In article <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
[email protected] says...

> This weekend I learnt some orienteers use two contact lenses of different
> prescriptions, one eye for distance vision, one for map-reading...
> Not everyone gets on with contact lenses though, and on a bike I think
> I'd rather not have a speedo than lose some distant peripheral vision.

I wonder what that does for distance perception, and the consequences
when you're negotiating tricky terrain.

In article <[email protected]>, Rob Morley wrote:
>In article <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
>[email protected] says...
>
>> This weekend I learnt some orienteers use two contact lenses of different
>> prescriptions, one eye for distance vision, one for map-reading...
>> Not everyone gets on with contact lenses though, and on a bike I think
>> I'd rather not have a speedo than lose some distant peripheral vision.
>>

>I wonder what that does for distance perception, and the consequences
>when you're negotiating tricky terrain.

I don't know. Presumably it works for them, but I suspect (like varifocal
contact lenses) isn't going to work for everyone. (I was talking to
someone who has varifocal glasses, but he mentioned some other people do
the two lens thing.)

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Rob Morley
> wrote:
>>In article <[email protected]>, Alan Braggins
>>[email protected] says...
>>
>>> This weekend I learnt some orienteers use two contact lenses of
>>> different
>>> prescriptions, one eye for distance vision, one for map-reading...
>>> Not everyone gets on with contact lenses though, and on a bike I think
>>> I'd rather not have a speedo than lose some distant peripheral vision.
>>>

>>I wonder what that does for distance perception, and the consequences
>>when you're negotiating tricky terrain.

> I don't know. Presumably it works for them, but I suspect (like varifocal
> contact lenses) isn't going to work for everyone. (I was talking to
> someone who has varifocal glasses, but he mentioned some other people do
> the two lens thing.)

I suppose we all have different degrees of sight but I've worn varifocal,
photosensitive glasses for years and never had any trouble with using them
on the bike. In fact the varifocal bit is what I like as I can read the
computer and distance stuff with no problems. Also, can look down at my feet
when carrying the bike down the steps at the Woolwich and Greenwich, Thames
pedestrian tunnels! (Without falling over).
By using a pair with slightly larger (plastic) lens than normal, it also
keeps the wind off and rain only builds up a certain amount and then pools
and runs off.

Paul.

> in message <[email protected]>, Chris Slade
> ('[email protected]') wrote:

Stuff deleted:-

> They're quite nice, but the prescription lens is an insert and it doesn't
> say whether varifocal is possible - I'll try to find out. Having double
> glazing in front of one's eyes sounds like just another problem to keep
> clean and defogged - one of my pet hates is when you go over the top of a
> ridge on a summer night ride, and you've got a choice between not being
> able to see because of midges getting in your eyes or not being able to
> see because your glasses are completely fogged up from sweating up the
> climb...
>
> However, Oakleys are the only people as far as I know who do any
> prescription lens without an insert, and they don't do varifocal... so I
> think I'm going to have to have an insert.

Do inserts come as bifocals?

Alan

"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> So I need to get something else. I'd like something that looks like an
>> M-Frame - i.e. a one piece visor without side or bottom frame - and is
>> comfortable and well made, not flimsy.
>>
>> Any recommendations?

> Have a look through the Rudy Project catalogue. Several of their frames
> can take prescription lenses and others can take a prescription insert
> behind the RP lens.

What is an insert?

Alan

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=insert

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>

>>> So I need to get something else. I'd like something that looks like an
>>> M-Frame - i.e. a one piece visor without side or bottom frame - and is
>>> comfortable and well made, not flimsy.
>>>
>>> Any recommendations?

>> Have a look through the Rudy Project catalogue. Several of their frames
>> can take prescription lenses and others can take a prescription insert
>> behind the RP lens.

> What is an insert?
>
> Alan

See

http://www.rudyproject.com/rudyrx/rudyrx.php?isAction=1&idLivello1=12&idLivello2=29

Simon Brooke wrote:

> However, Oakleys are the only people as far as I know who do any
> prescription lens without an insert, and they don't do varifocal... so I
> think I'm going to have to have an insert.

I think Bolle do on some of their range (but not interchanging lenses),
it's just bloody difficult getting useful information out of their
website :-(

Try Leah Wilson at Bolle's UK agents ([email protected]) for
more details.

If they do then it'll only be expensive, as opposed to *insanely*
expensive for Os! ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 01/16/2007 23:31:02 "Alan Holmes" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>> in message <[email protected]>, Chris Slade
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Stuff deleted:-

>> They're quite nice, but the prescription lens is an insert and it doesn't
>> say whether varifocal is possible - I'll try to find out. Having double
>> glazing in front of one's eyes sounds like just another problem to keep
>> clean and defogged - one of my pet hates is when you go over the top of a
>> ridge on a summer night ride, and you've got a choice between not being
>> able to see because of midges getting in your eyes or not being able to
>> see because your glasses are completely fogged up from sweating up the
>> climb...

>> However, Oakleys are the only people as far as I know who do any
>> prescription lens without an insert, and they don't do varifocal... so I
>> think I'm going to have to have an insert.

> Do inserts come as bifocals?

> Alan

The inserts come with plain non prescription lenses, you have them done
to your specification by your optician.

--

Buck

Give a little person a little power and create a big problem.

http://www.catrike.co.uk

> in message <[email protected]>, Nigel Wade
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> I don't like cycling in varifocals. I just can't get used to the off-axis
>> blur, I find it very distracting. Thankfully my eye-sight isn't that bad
>> that I can't read when I have just a distance prescription (yet). I like
>> to be able to read my computer, and also maps and/or PDA when I'm using
>> them.

Why would you want to read your computer whilst travelling?

What is a PDA?

> Yup, this is what I now can't do. Having to stop and change glasses every
> time you want to check the map or the routesheet just isn't fun.

Bifocals are adequate.

Alan

Alan Holmes wrote:

> Why would you want to read your computer whilst travelling?

"Ooooh, this is fun, I wonder how fast I'm going?...
bugger, can't read the computer display. I know, I'll stop and pop my
other glasses on! [pause] That's odd, it says 0 mph, and I was sure I
was doing at least 25!"

Alan, I find it very difficult to gauge the extent to which you're
winding us up about not having your brain switched on, or really not
having your brain switched on. I do hope it's the former...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Alan, I find it very difficult to gauge the extent to which you're
> winding us up about not having your brain switched on, or really not
> having your brain switched on.

You're making an assumption there, Peter. I'm not at all certain it's
justified.

;; It's dangerous to be right when the government is wrong.
;; Voltaire RIP Dr David Kelly 1945-2004

Simon Brooke wrote:

> You're making an assumption there, Peter. I'm not at all certain it's
> justified.

I was trying to be nice for a change! ;-)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:13:37 GMT, "Alan Holmes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>What is a PDA?

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have here a new aspirant to the title of
u.r.c. resident troll, a position currently held by the entity known
sometimes known as TrollB.

"Who are the Beatles?"

[email protected] wrote:

> Ladies and Gentlemen, we have here a new aspirant to the title of
> u.r.c. resident troll, a position currently held by the entity known
> sometimes known as TrollB.

That personal attack was unwarranted, why not stand up and be counted?

A well known tactic of a desperate argument loser is to throw in the
towel screaming "troll!".

--
Matt B