prescription sunglasses for riding/training?

Jjpsych

Guest
Hi, I am looking for advise/recommendations for prescription sunglasses for riding. I am considering
having Oakley make a pair, but also have looked into Rudy and possible Bolle. Anyone with any
experience or recommendations, feel free to give them. Jay

Hi Jay,

Have been the same route, ended up sticking with my good old aviator frames but when the time comes
I woud give serious consideration to these folks:

http://www.optilabs.com/homeframeset.html

Relative to Oakley (way too much) and the alternatives, which all involve a sub frame, these look
very good, and the price appears to be quite good.

HTH Roger Bogda

"jjpsych" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I am looking for advise/recommendations for prescription sunglasses for riding. I am
> considering having Oakley make a pair, but also have looked into Rudy and possible Bolle. Anyone
> with any experience or recommendations, feel free to give them. Jay

I got my Rudy Projects from http://www.in-spex.com/home/index.html

Jim is a cyclist and an optician so he knows his stuff. I got the Graals with prescription lenses
(no inserts). Now I can actually see. Give Jim a call.

Alan "jjpsych" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I am looking for advise/recommendations for prescription sunglasses for riding. I am
> considering having Oakley make a pair, but also have looked into Rudy and possible Bolle. Anyone
> with any experience or recommendations, feel free to give them. Jay

"jjpsych" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I am looking for advise/recommendations for prescription sunglasses for riding. I am
> considering having Oakley make a pair, but also have looked into Rudy and possible Bolle. Anyone
> with any experience or recommendations, feel free to give them.

Hi Jay,

I've got the Bolle Vigilante with the prescription insert and I never use the insert because it
makes the glasses way to heavy. I tried this combination because my contact lenses can be a pain on
long rides, especially when it's hot and the sweat runs in into my eyes. Still, that is better than
the heavy combination of the Bolle sunglasses and the prescription insert (IMO). Good luck.
--
Marty

Go with the Oakleys. They may be more expensive, but you won't find a much better combination of
lightweight and comfort. I have the Oakley Minutes with prescription lenses and love them.

"jjpsych" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I am looking for advise/recommendations for prescription sunglasses for riding. I am
> considering having Oakley make a pair, but also have looked into Rudy and possible Bolle. Anyone
> with any experience or recommendations, feel free to give them. Jay

Jay,

I have two pairs of Oakley prescription sunglasses, and 3 pairs of prescription oakley RX frames
(their opthalmic frames). The upside is that they really are the best RX lenses availalbe, the
downside is they are extremely expensive. i used to get 2 pairs a year from Oakley, so that was
cool. But you are looking at at least $400.00 for a set from oakley (their lenses start at around
200-270) for the prescription then you have the frame cost. I have a pair of racing jackets and they
would have cost me just about $450 if I hadn't been setup with them.

THey are definiteley worth it though.

Bill

news:<[email protected]>...

On 20 Jul 2003 07:50:13 -0700, [email protected] (jjpsych) wrote:

>Hi, I am looking for advise/recommendations for prescription sunglasses for riding. I am
>considering having Oakley make a pair, but also have looked into Rudy and possible Bolle. Anyone
>with any experience or recommendations, feel free to give them. Jay

I really like my Bolle Paroles. They have multiple lens sets for different conditions and sports.
One set is great for softball and golf.

Lindsay
"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the
difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's
remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

P.J. O'Rourke