Prescription sunnies

crazney

Nov 27, 2004
Hey folks,

Being unfortunate enough to have poor eye sight, and unable to wear contact lenses, I have the misfortune of not being able to wear standard sunnies.

So I've been riding for several years with just my standard prescription glasses, but they don't offer nearly as much protection as I'd like - both from the sun and flying debris / insects etc.

I went to my optomotrist the other day to enquire about specific prescription _cycling_ sunnies.. (Cycling sunnies are different in that the wrap around further to protect your eyes from all that debris). Anyhow, the nice lady told showd me what they had available. The cheapest they had would cost me: $300 for the frame + sunglass lenses, $100 for script lenses and another $100 for a clip fixture to set them in. Apparantly these glasses have a system that allows the prescription lense to fit behind the standard lense. That's $500 for a pair of sunglasses. Not what I'm willing to pay.

So, does anyone have any advice for what I'm to do? I don't need any flashy sunglasses, just something that does the job. The cheaper the better.

Thanks folks.

David.

crazney said:
Hey folks,

I went to my optomotrist the other day to enquire about specific prescription _cycling_ sunnies.. (Cycling sunnies are different in that the wrap around further to protect your eyes from all that debris). Anyhow, the nice lady told showd me what they had available. The cheapest they had would cost me: $300 for the frame + sunglass lenses, $100 for script lenses and another $100 for a clip fixture to set them in. Apparantly these glasses have a system that allows the prescription lense to fit behind the standard lense. That's $500 for a pair of sunglasses. Not what I'm willing to pay.

So, does anyone have any advice for what I'm to do? I don't need any flashy sunglasses, just something that does the job. The cheaper the better.
g'day
rudy project and oakley make pretty good prescription cycling glasses, they're what most pro riders use these days.
i think most cyclist requiring prescription sunnies opt for rudy project rydon, they're the one with a clip on the inside. what makes these frames particularly good is that the lenses are interchangle for different light conditions, but after buying the frame, the clip-in and prescription lense it can get quite expensive.
i myself opted for a pair of rudy project Kabrio Ti instead of the rydons, i chose the kabrios over the rydons cause they have a more casual look to them, so you can wear it to the beach and stuff like that. whats also good about this pair is that its more like a pair of convertible glasses. the sunglass lens clips onto the standard frame (can get dif. colour lenses too), so you can use it as a prescription sunglass or just as pair of ordinary prescription glasses. i think its actually cheaper than getting a pair of rydons cause you dont need to get the clip-in. i think they're great, heaps comfy, heaps of adjustments and a variety of frame colours.
check it out at rudyproject.com.au

My partner has recently got some fit-over sunnies that go over her regular glasses. They actually aren't too bad, quite compact and not like the big bulky ones that many pensioners seem to favour. I think she got them from the optical superstore within Myers, but I'll check. Let me know if you want the brand of the fit-overs.

Also if that isn't any good, some health insurance companies (Medibank private) will give a free pair of prescription glasses per year. I know one year my partner got a pair of prescription sunnies from the optical superstore and they definately were not worth $500, she can only claim up to $200 or so for her free pair.

cheers

Join a health fund, as you should be able to claim back much of the cost of the glasses.

Rudy's are definately the way to go. Spend the extra and it will be worth it. I had a pair of Rudy Perceptor which were good until hit by a car, but still useable. Santa brought me the new model which has replaced the Perceptor and they are fantastic. You can use them as standard specs, standard sunnies if you had contact lenses in, or prescription sunnies. You don't get blind spots with them (the Perceptors did).

The Dubliner said:
Join a health fund, as you should be able to claim back much of the cost of the glasses.

Rudy's are definately the way to go. Spend the extra and it will be worth it. I had a pair of Rudy Perceptor which were good until hit by a car, but still useable. Santa brought me the new model which has replaced the Perceptor and they are fantastic. You can use them as standard specs, standard sunnies if you had contact lenses in, or prescription sunnies. You don't get blind spots with them (the Perceptors did).
Well, I have medibank private, but am just about to cancel it.. From their website, I can only get $200 on eyewear each year, only $92 of which can be for frames.. So it's really not worth it.

crazney said:
Hey folks,

Being unfortunate enough to have poor eye sight, and unable to wear contact lenses, I have the misfortune of not being able to wear standard sunnies.

So I've been riding for several years with just my standard prescription glasses, but they don't offer nearly as much protection as I'd like - both from the sun and flying debris / insects etc.

Thanks folks.

David.

David
Check out the Euosport sunglasses with the RX insert.
http://www.eurooptics.com.au/360.html
http://www.eurooptics.com.au/images/eyewear/sport/fire.jpg
the "360" and the "Fire" are cheap and the clip is only $19.
Still have to pay the $100 ransom to optometrists though.
Pete
Canberra

I wear prescription sunnies too.

Rudy Project or Oakley. Whichever you prefer.

crazney said:
Hey cool, that looks pretty good. The fire is only $50. Sweet.

Now, can anyone recommend a good optometrist that stocks this stuff? (In Melbourne.)

Thanks!

David

Myer, Chemist shops, Rebel Sport, Some bike shops.
Failing that you can buy direct from Euro with a credit card.
Once you get them just rock up to an optometrist.

Not a rep, just someone who has had to chase them down for myself.

Pete

Poiter said:
Myer, Chemist shops, Rebel Sport, Some bike shops.
Failing that you can buy direct from Euro with a credit card.
Once you get them just rock up to an optometrist.

Not a rep, just someone who has had to chase them down for myself.

Pete
I am a 'Blind Bugger on a Bike' too. I currently wear Rudy Perceptions and I am very happy with them but they were quite expensive.

Depending on how blind you are, there are some limitations on the prescription that can be put into your cycling sunnies - all to do with the base curve of the frames. At the limit, using some of the new (ie more expensive) high refractive index lens materials, higher prescriptions can be put into curved frames, but there comes a limit where high prescriptions are not really practical for curved frames.

With the Rudies, only some of their frames can take the really strong prescriptions - Perception is one.

It would pay to ask Euro, or whoever, before you part with the cash.

Alternatively, most optometrists can get in frames on special order for you, and if they are getting the business of doing the lenses, will often be prepared to check these sorts of things with the optical company rep for you.

cheers,
SteveA

a1086528 said:
g'day
rudy project and oakley make pretty good prescription cycling glasses, they're what most pro riders use these days.
i think most cyclist requiring prescription sunnies opt for rudy project rydon, they're the one with a clip on the inside. what makes these frames particularly good is that the lenses are interchangle for different light conditions, but after buying the frame, the clip-in and prescription lense it can get quite expensive.
i myself opted for a pair of rudy project Kabrio Ti instead of the rydons, i chose the kabrios over the rydons cause they have a more casual look to them, so you can wear it to the beach and stuff like that. whats also good about this pair is that its more like a pair of convertible glasses. the sunglass lens clips onto the standard frame (can get dif. colour lenses too), so you can use it as a prescription sunglass or just as pair of ordinary prescription glasses. i think its actually cheaper than getting a pair of rydons cause you dont need to get the clip-in. i think they're great, heaps comfy, heaps of adjustments and a variety of frame colours.
check it out at rudyproject.com.au
I have the Perceptions which were not cheap. I'm thinking about a new pair of bike sunnies. What did the Kabrio TI' s cost?

cheers,
SteveA

If you have trouble finding your ones "BBB" brand (make just about every thing in the way of bike accessories and stocked by lots of bike shops have a set with 3 sets of lenses for different lighting conditions at about $120 and you may find you local eye shop already has them - mine did after I purchased mine from Cecil Walkers in Melbourne. Very happy with them.

crazney said:
Hey cool, that looks pretty good. The fire is only $50. Sweet.

Now, can anyone recommend a good optometrist that stocks this stuff? (In Melbourne.)

Thanks!

David

leerob_52 said:
If you have trouble finding your ones "BBB" brand (make just about every thing in the way of bike accessories and stocked by lots of bike shops have a set with 3 sets of lenses for different lighting conditions at about $120 and you may find you local eye shop already has them - mine did after I purchased mine from Cecil Walkers in Melbourne. Very happy with them.
I just bought a pair of Euro Optics 360s with an optical clip, grey mirror, clear and yellow lenses for $117. I just have to get to the optometrist to get the prescription lenses fitted - which will more than double the cost of the sunnies

SteveA

Hey guys,

Just as a heads up, there is a company in the States called Sports Optical that makes custom prescription lenses for wrap-around cycling glasses. They have a strong cycling pedigree, do very high-quality work and ship all over the world. Their website is www.sportsoptical.com.

Good luck with your eyewear issues!

"can't wear contacts" - why not? Did a skilled CL fitter tell you that, or some Specsavers gimp? Assuming it's true, spend the coin on some Rudy Project Rx sunnies - the optics and lens quality are unbeatable. Nice frames too. Oakley are close, but I think the Rudy's win. Cam P.s. I'm one of those evil optoms......

Hey mate I am in the same boat old, blind and poor !
But I have the perfect riding glasses that suit my funny eyesight.
Now these are not strictly speaking script glasses more like roll your own.
Here is how..your script glasses are made up from magnify lens of various strengths e.g +1 +2 etc called diopts.
If you are real lucky both eyes may be suffering from the same weakness ( I am pretty lucky and both my eyes for long vision require very close to 1.5 diopters).
Now you easily find out what you require from a simple test (or go ask optometrist). Visit any store that sell "readers" and test each eye with various strengths looking at a distant object.
Ok note what each eye requires for clear long sighted vision. It maybe 1.5 for both or maybe 2.0 left or right or whatever.
Now you need to buy dark tinted readers online from various websites. I get mine from boomersintheknow.com http://boomersintheknow.com get excellent quick service and delivery to Australia about 10 days . Cost about $20 yes that 20 for full wrap sunnies with beaut sharp lens.
Now you may need to get 2 pair if your need different dioptes for both eyes . No worries buy both then pop out the lens and insert to make one perfect set.
You wont be sorry they are great. Light, pretty strong and look good.
My personal preference is the style [COLOR= rgb(34, 34, 34)]The Wrap Full Sun Reader 8372S150cg . They keep the maggies out .[/COLOR]
Enjoy the ride and the vision.
Kenno down under.

Originally Posted by camdyson .

"can't wear contacts" - why not? Did a skilled CL fitter tell you that, or some Specsavers gimp?
Assuming it's true, spend the coin on some Rudy Project Rx sunnies - the optics and lens quality are unbeatable. Nice frames too. Oakley are close, but I think the Rudy's win.
Cam
P.s. I'm one of those evil optoms......
Hey camdyson - do you know if it's possible to get contact for prisms? My optom says no and it makes sense (thicker/heavier part of lens would just rotate to bottom), but I thought it was worth asking.

If you are cheap (like me) and you only have a problem with your reading, you can get some pretty ace and inexpensive bifocal safety glasses from this mob:

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safreadglas.html

For example.... $10.85 USD. The quality is fine.

safetyglassesusa_2243_88793783