Pressing Tool for Square-Tapered BB

tanggoman

Sep 22, 2003
It says in the park tools website that the nut itself is the pressing tool but when I tried it, the cranks only go halfway on the BB spindle.

Doea anyone know what kind of pressing tool to use in installation of cranks with square-tapered BB? Thanks.

tanggoman said:
It says in the park tools website that the nut itself is the pressing tool but when I tried it, the cranks only go halfway on the BB spindle.

Doea anyone know what kind of pressing tool to use in installation of cranks with square-tapered BB? Thanks.
It's the bolt that does it except in the case of old nut type square tapers which do use a nut. You either aren't using enough torque or maybe you are trying to jam a ISO taper crank arm onto a JIS spindle.

boudreaux said:
It's the bolt that does it except in the case of old nut type square tapers which do use a nut. You either aren't using enough torque or maybe you are trying to jam a ISO taper crank arm onto a JIS spindle.

I just tried and applied a ~40ft-lb torque, it did go close to 3/4 all the way in the cranks. The LBS told me that the spindle will not go all the way in the cranks.

How will you know if its a JIS spindle? Thanks

tanggoman said:
I just tried and applied a ~40ft-lb torque, it did go close to 3/4 all the way in the cranks. The LBS told me that the spindle will not go all the way in the cranks.
LBS nose pickers.

boudreaux said:
LBS nose pickers.

So how can you tell the difference between an ISO and a JIS?

The cranks I'm installing is an FSA (ISO written at the back of the cranks) and an FSA Ultimax Ti BB (I didnt see any ISO or JIS written on it). Thanks