Pressure Gauge: To carry or not to carry?

JamesLondon

Feb 25, 2005
Hi there,

I've recently got back on the roads with a Specialized Sirrus, which I'm very much enjoying. Now trying to refine my tools/kit in my wedge pack.

I use a Topeak BlowJoe Sport floor pump at home and obviously use the integral pressure gauge to inflate to the right pressure.

On the road I use a Blackburn Airstik, but the question is whether to carry a pressure gauge as well? Any thoughts?

James

Nah.....Just get it hard....but get to know what the correct hardness after using your floor pump is.

JamesLondon said:
Hi there,

I've recently got back on the roads with a Specialized Sirrus, which I'm very much enjoying. Now trying to refine my tools/kit in my wedge pack.

I use a Topeak BlowJoe Sport floor pump at home and obviously use the integral pressure gauge to inflate to the right pressure.

On the road I use a Blackburn Airstik, but the question is whether to carry a pressure gauge as well? Any thoughts?

James

JamesLondon said:
Hi there,

James
In the past when I was on the roads alot I always carried a guage. they dont take up much space and its a pain being under inflated as many pumps along the way have no gauges. Just my 2 cents.

"John"

JOHN J said:
In the past when I was on the roads alot I always carried a guage. they dont take up much space and its a pain being under inflated as many pumps along the way have no gauges. Just my 2 cents.

"John"
Just pump it till it feels hard. You'll never over inflate with a hand pump.

JamesLondon said:
Hi there,

James

Some mini pumps like the Topeak Road Morph have a built-in gauge.

No need to take a pressure gauge. Waste of space. Over time you will get used to the tire pressure you need, just make sure that the tires are pumped up when you leave home. As for flats, pump up to the desired pressure (as the other posters say, as hard as you can get it ;) ) and you will be fine.

Think about giving the pump the dump.
CO2 is a nice way to go. It fits in the wedge pack and no need for a guage.
There is a thread about CO2 vs. pumps. Most use CO2.
I've used gas cartirdges for years. Actually none of my roadie buddies use pumps. Good luck !

BikeyGuy said:
Think about giving the pump the dump.
CO2 is a nice way to go. It fits in the wedge pack and no need for a guage.
There is a thread about CO2 vs. pumps. Most use CO2.
I've used gas cartirdges for years. Actually none of my roadie buddies use pumps. Good luck !

Think about the environment. Whats a few grams and a bit of huff and puff. One of the best sites in racing is to see some kook burst a tyre with his C02 charges.

Whichever way you go, I agree with the consensus that if you have a floor pump at home with an integral gauge, that is sufficient. Just get the tires to pressure before each ride. If you get a flat, pump the tire back up based on the feel of the tire, which you will learn over a little time and should learn anyway.

As for CO2 vs handpumps, well, choose whichever you like. I used a frame pump for years until I discovered just how good the CO2 pumps were for me. Back up and running at pressure as fast as you can swap out your tube. My frame pump could get a tire to pressure but it took a lot of grief to do it. I've never blown a tire with a cartridge. Even the 16gs. You could do it if you tried, by having some pressure on the tire to start with, but even then if you have a light touch you can send around 20-30psi to the tire per trigger squeeze. I had to do that for a few days when I was without my floor pump.