Pressure Gauge

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Scottw44, Mar 26, 2003.

  1. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    The other day, I was shocked as I saw 3 pumps read 3 entirely different readings.

    I guess pumps are like scales...and the pressure, like the weight, is relative.

    Can anyone recommend an accurate pressure gauge. I want to know what I am actually pumping into my
    tires and I feel this will be a good tool for my group.

    tia,

    scott

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The other day, I was shocked as I saw 3 pumps read 3 entirely different readings.
    >
    > I guess pumps are like scales...and the pressure, like the weight, is relative.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend an accurate pressure gauge. I want to know what I am actually pumping into my
    > tires and I feel this will be a good tool for my group.
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > scott
    >
    > sco[email protected]

    This one... http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/airgauge.html

    Mike

  3. Patrick W.

    Patrick W. Guest

    "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The other day, I was shocked as I saw 3 pumps read 3 entirely different readings.
    >
    > I guess pumps are like scales...and the pressure, like the weight, is relative.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend an accurate pressure gauge. I want to know what I am actually pumping into my
    > tires and I feel this will be a good tool for my group.
    >
    > tia,
    >
    > scott
    >
    > [email protected]

    Accugage. It will cost you around $15.

    -Patrick

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The other day, I was shocked as I saw 3 pumps read 3
    entirely different
    > readings.
    >
    > I guess pumps are like scales...and the pressure, like the
    weight, is
    > relative.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend an accurate pressure gauge. I want
    to know what I am
    > actually pumping into my tires and I feel this will be a
    good tool for my
    > group.

    The cheap, pencil-type guages from auto parts stores are generally accurate +-1psi. Of course
    they're for Schrader valves, but you could use one of those little adapters.

    But all you need to do is find the pressure that works for you, and use the guage on your pump to be
    able to repeat that. It doesn't matter if the guage is accurate, as long as it's consistent.

    45 Zefal Husky Units works fine for me.

    Matt O.

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

  6. "Patrick W." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "scottw44" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > Can anyone recommend an accurate pressure gauge. I want to know what I am actually pumping into
    > > my tires and I feel this will be a good tool for my group.
    > >

    > Accugage. It will cost you around $15.
    >
    > -Patrick

    Is the Zefal "twin graph" accurate / durable ? Seems to be made of plastic, but .......

    http://www.zefal.com/anglais/indexpompesang.html

  7. Scottw44

    Scottw44 Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. I use my gauge like my scale...relative weight. But apparently, it is
    reading much lower than it used to, and I need a point of reference.

    will check out acugage...

    [email protected]