presta schrader

metropical75

Jun 29, 2022
can't stand the presta that came OEM with my 2nd hand CAAD9. I put them little schrader adapter caps on and that seems better when filling.
But the pins in the presta are off center and they seem to lose air faster. Does that mean I should get new inners?
Can one safely drill out the presta hole for a schrader tube?

I have drilled out presta rims to take Schrader valves before using a hand-drill then some careful deburring of the hole, but the rim of course has to be wide enough to take that modification without being damaged. If the rim is so narrow that the drill size affects the sides of the rim and not just the inside then it may compromise the rims strength. Find an old Schrader rim and measure the hole by sticking drill bits into it until you find the max size that will fit, which will be the correct size, then see what it looks like when you fit the schank end of the drill inside the rim you want to modify and see if you can guess what material it will remove from the rim structure. If it will fit inside the rim without touching the sides, with just touching the bottom of the channel the tire fits into, then you may be okay to go ahead with the project. If I had a really nice set of wheels and was not experienced in this sort of work, I would certainly try to find a set of similar cheap or damaged wheels to practice on first. Grabbing a drill and experimenting on a cherished set of rims would not be smart.

Oem tubes?

Buy new ones, use the adapter and be sure not to bend over the Presta core while installing the adapter.

Never had air loss problems in mentioned fashion.

OEM yes. I put on adapters. Inside the presta core the open/close post is a ittle bent on one. But after messing about with the adapter, I get it to work.
But yea, new tubes seems the smartest easiest way to go.

Hey! It sounds like you're dealing with some tube issues. If the presta core's open/close post is a bit bent, it might be causing the problem. You can try gently straightening it out with some pliers. However, if you're still having trouble, getting new tubes might be the best solution. Make sure to choose ones that are the right size and have a good quality valve. When it comes to building stamina and strength in cycling, I recommend incorporating interval training into your routine. This involves alternating between periods of intense effort and recovery. It's a great way to improve your endurance and power. Keep pushing yourself and have fun out there! ‍♂️

Install new tubes, don't bend the pins, then install the Schrader adapters.

Drilling out the rims risking damage really isn't too bright if your main obstacle is a bent pin. A tube is what, 5 dollars?

Instead of taking the risk of damaging your rim by drilling it, why not consider using a tubeless setup? It might require a bit more investment upfront, but it could save you from future headaches. Thoughts? ; #tubeless #cycling