Presta to Shraeder (with Shraeder core) adapter?

Robert Haston

Guest
I'm having trouble with slime clogging my presta valves.

Since I need a valve extension anyway, I thought a complete shraeder valve
with presta threads on the bottom would be a nice fix.

Anyone seen such a thing, or know where to get it?

--
Robert Haston
Satellite Beach, FL

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:56:10 GMT, "Robert Haston"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm having trouble with slime clogging my presta valves.
>
>Since I need a valve extension anyway, I thought a complete shraeder valve
>with presta threads on the bottom would be a nice fix.
>
>Anyone seen such a thing, or know where to get it?

Much of the point of the Presta is to use a smaller valve hole in the
rim. The smallest diameter of Schrader stem is much larger. The
valve would have to be screwed into the tube through the rim...and if
you have rims that require a Presta extender, the Schrader valve would
have to be built with a long enough lower Presta-diameter section to
get past the rim, leaving at least an inch of bulbous Schrader
assembly sticking up.

Despite the fact that a lot of worse ideas have made it into
production (and even more have received patents), I doubt that this
one exists as an off-the-shelf option, though doubtless a tinkerer
with a lathe could whip one up.

In any event, it might not achieve the end you seek; Schrader valves
are no more resistant to slimeclog than Prestas, in my experience.
And, to be honest, it might simply substitute one problem for another;
I've had more problems with Schraders leaking due to Slime fiber
fouling than I've had with Prestas.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:22:44 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
(Luns Tee) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
>Robert Haston <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Since I need a valve extension anyway, I thought a complete shraeder valve
>>with presta threads on the bottom would be a nice fix.
>>
>>Anyone seen such a thing, or know where to get it?

> I keep one of these in my saddle bag.
>
>http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?c=Tools&item_id=SI-2220

If I read the post correctly, that's not what he's looking for.

I believe that the OP wants a Schrader valve assembly that can be
screwed into the port on a tube that was originally equipped with a
Presta, and wants it in a long version, presumably for an aero rim.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.