Presta tube in a Schrader hole? - - again please - -

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by D T W .../\\..., Feb 20, 2003.

  1. I know that this was discussed a while ago but I can't find it on Google search.

    I ordered a Mavic 317 rim without specifying "presta" and of course I got a Schrader hole ;-(

    So, what will it hurt to use a presta tube in a Schrader drilled rim? I would always use the knurled
    nut thingy.

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:aig5a.1323$%[email protected]...

    > I know that this was discussed a while ago but I can't find it on Google search.
    >
    > I ordered a Mavic 317 rim without specifying "presta" and of course I got a Schrader hole ;-(
    >
    > So, what will it hurt to use a presta tube in a Schrader drilled rim? I would always use the
    > knurled nut thingy.
    >

    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    In short no, it won't hurt. There is a small rubber grommet that I use in mine for added
    protection though.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:aig5a.1323$%[email protected]...

    > > I know that this was discussed a while ago but I can't find it on Google search.
    > >
    > > I ordered a Mavic 317 rim without specifying "presta" and of course I
    got a
    > > Schrader hole ;-(
    > >
    > > So, what will it hurt to use a presta tube in a Schrader drilled rim?
    > > would always use the knurled nut thingy.
    > >

    > > --
    > > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >

    > In short no, it won't hurt. There is a small rubber grommet that I use in
    mine for added protection though.
    > --
    > Slacker

    All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted with that grommet - have I
    only seen part of the story?

    Shaun aRe

  4. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:aig5a.1323$%[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > I know that this was discussed a while ago but I can't find it on
    Google
    > > > search.
    > > >
    > > > I ordered a Mavic 317 rim without specifying "presta" and of course I
    > got a
    > > > Schrader hole ;-(
    > > >
    > > > So, what will it hurt to use a presta tube in a Schrader drilled rim?
    > > > would always use the knurled nut thingy.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    > >

    > > In short no, it won't hurt. There is a small rubber grommet that I use
    in
    > mine for added protection though.
    > > --
    > > Slacker
    >
    > All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted
    with
    > that grommet - have I only seen part of the story?
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    I have four Mavic 317's, which are disk specific rims, and all are drilled for presta.

    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  5. Slash

    Slash Guest

    On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:49:29 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> scribbled:

    >> I have four Mavic 317's, which are disk specific rims, and all are drilled for presta.
    >>
    >> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    >
    >Curiouser and curiouser.....
    >
    >Shaun aRe - just get schraeder tubes FFS! ',;~}

    I'm still trying to fathom how anyone could get the tube through the damn tiny hole to
    begin with. ;)

    -Slash
    --
    "Ebert Victorious"

    - The Onion

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    D T W .../\... <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:Kn5a.1417$%[email protected]...

    > > Slacker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:aig5a.1323$%[email protected]...

    > Google

    > > got a

    > > > In short no, it won't hurt. There is a small rubber grommet that I use
    > in
    > > mine for added protection though.
    > > > --
    > > > Slacker
    > >
    > > All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted
    > with
    > > that grommet - have I only seen part of the story?
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > I have four Mavic 317's, which are disk specific rims, and all are drilled for presta.
    >
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

    Curiouser and curiouser.....

    Shaun aRe - just get schraeder tubes FFS! ',;~}

  7. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    > All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted
    with
    > that grommet - have I only seen part of the story?
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    I have 3 Mavic X517's. 2 schraeder, 1 presta. All bought in UK IIRC.

    bloocow - Presta looks kewler.

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Slash <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:49:29 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> scribbled:
    >
    > >> I have four Mavic 317's, which are disk specific rims, and all are
    drilled
    > >> for presta.
    > >>
    > >> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
    > >
    > >Curiouser and curiouser.....
    > >
    > >Shaun aRe - just get schraeder tubes FFS! ',;~}
    >
    > I'm still trying to fathom how anyone could get the tube through the damn tiny hole to begin
    > with. ;)

    LOLFFS! Heheheheh - yer a star fer that one Slash, heheheheheeeee!

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe ',;~}

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted
    > with
    > > that grommet - have I only seen part of the story?
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > I have 3 Mavic X517's. 2 schraeder, 1 presta. All bought in UK IIRC.

    'K....

    > bloocow - Presta looks kewler.

    Bollix - fat valves fer fat tyres, skinny arsed valves fer skinny arsed tyres - duh!

    Bloody roadie wannabes....

    Shaun aRe

  10. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Rimmer wrote:
    > > Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > In short no, it won't hurt. There is a small rubber grommet that I use in mine for added
    > > > protection though.

    I've done this with no "grommet" and with one. Using the grommet is perhaps a way to keep sand, etc
    from getting in there, but it's probably more of an anal retentive instinct, to make it look as
    though the tube and rim were made for each other.

    Using schraeder tubes would probably be a fine idea, but if you're like me it would be an exception.
    All your other bikes/rims use presta, so you'd have to have "special" tubes for this one.

    > > All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted with that grommet - have
    > > I only seen part of the story?

    I've never gotton one of those grommets without asking for it specially. Never, ever, have I seen a
    brand-new rim that came drilled out to Schraeder, much less one fitted with an adapter for presta.

    My understanding has always been that better rims come with a presta-sized valve stem hole, and that
    those who want to run schraeder should drill them out.

    > I have four Mavic 317's, which are disk specific rims, and all are drilled for presta.

    The only decent wheel I have that's schraeder is a legend. I had a shop in Ft Collins, CO build me a
    wheel on a 1992 XT hub, with straight 14 guage spokes and a Mavic 260.

    When the builder handed me the wheel, I said, "hey, it's drilled for presta, I wanted schraeder." He
    said, "Rims always come drilled presta. If you want schraeder, go home and drill it out." I did. And
    a year or two later I went back to the shop to ask them for a grommet thingy because by then I'd
    given up on schraeder.

    That wheel was built 10 years ago. I rode it exclusively for years, until I finally gave up on
    7-speed. Now it's on my townie bike. Never been trued, never needed it. Tough as nails, true as a
    laser beam.
    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/ Salida, CO

  11. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    > bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >

    > > > All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted
    > > with
    > > > that grommet - have I only seen part of the story?
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe
    > > >

    > > I have 3 Mavic X517's. 2 schraeder, 1 presta. All bought in UK IIRC.
    >
    > 'K....
    >
    > > bloocow - Presta looks kewler.
    >
    > Bollix - fat valves fer fat tyres, skinny arsed valves fer skinny arsed tyres - duh!
    >
    > Bloody roadie wannabes....
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    hahahahaha.... Well you're partially right, but its skinny arsed valves and skinny arsed tyres fer a
    slim mean aerodynamic macheeeen...

    bloocow - i like being skinny =p

  12. > I've done this with no "grommet" and with one. Using the grommet is perhaps a way to keep sand,
    > etc from getting in there, but it's probably more of an anal retentive instinct, to make it look
    > as though the tube and rim were made for each other.
    >
    > Using schraeder tubes would probably be a fine idea, but if you're like me it would be an
    > exception. All your other bikes/rims use presta, so you'd have to have "special" tubes for
    > this one.
    >
    > > > All the Mavic rims _I've seen_, come drilled for Schraeder, and fitted with that grommet -
    > > > have I only seen part of the story?
    >
    > I've never gotton one of those grommets without asking for it specially. Never, ever, have I
    > seen a brand-new rim that came drilled out to Schraeder, much less one fitted with an adapter
    > for presta.
    >
    > My understanding has always been that better rims come with a presta-sized valve stem hole, and
    > that those who want to run schraeder should drill them out.

    I think you'll find a lot of the beefier freeride rims these days come with Shraeder drilling
    because a lot of these guys use tubes that don't even come in presta. I do find that using a
    presta valve n these rims can result in the valve failing at the base, but if you carefully round
    out the edges with a file and use a stiff plastic rim liner like Michelin or Velox makes, there
    isn't a problem.
    --
    _________________________

  13. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    It won't hurt a thing ,as long as you keep the nut tight.

    Fire up MTB 03

  14. Watimena

    Watimena Guest

    Buy a schrader valved tube?

    I mean they're only five bucks......

    "D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:aig5a.1323$%[email protected]...

    > I know that this was discussed a while ago but I can't find it on Google search.
    >
    > I ordered a Mavic 317 rim without specifying "presta" and of course I got
    > Schrader hole ;-(
    >
    > So, what will it hurt to use a presta tube in a Schrader drilled rim? I would always use the
    > knurled nut thingy.
    >

    > --
    > DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > > bloocow - Presta looks kewler.
    > >
    > > Bollix - fat valves fer fat tyres, skinny arsed valves fer skinny arsed tyres - duh!
    > >
    > > Bloody roadie wannabes....
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > hahahahaha.... Well you're partially right, but its skinny arsed valves
    and
    > skinny arsed tyres fer a slim mean aerodynamic macheeeen...

    Oh hell!

    > bloocow - i like being skinny =p

    Aye, me too at about 160lb ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  16. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Bollix - fat valves fer fat tyres, skinny arsed valves fer skinny
    arsed
    > > > tyres - duh!
    > > >
    > > > Bloody roadie wannabes....
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe
    > >
    > > hahahahaha.... Well you're partially right, but its skinny arsed valves
    > and
    > > skinny arsed tyres fer a slim mean aerodynamic macheeeen...
    >
    > Oh hell!
    >
    > > bloocow - i like being skinny =p
    >
    > Aye, me too at about 160lb ',;~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Me too at 195lb. Woo Hoo!

    Westie

  17. Bloocow

    Bloocow Guest

    "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > arsed

    > > > hahahahaha.... Well you're partially right, but its skinny arsed
    valves
    > > and
    > > > skinny arsed tyres fer a slim mean aerodynamic macheeeen...
    > >
    > > Oh hell!
    > >
    > > > bloocow - i like being skinny =p
    > >
    > > Aye, me too at about 160lb ',;~}
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Me too at 195lb. Woo Hoo!
    >
    > Westie

    Unless you guys are 10 ft tall, go shake your lard asses elsewhere.

    ;-p

    bloocow.

  18. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Anyone tried to blow up a wheel with a shock pump. I did for the last 3 months! Dont do it. As the
    song goes... Presta presta, Ra, Ra, Ra, Presta Presta, Ra, Ra, Raaaaaaaaa Psssssttt! Shite its gone
    down, that bloody nut!

    Kent "bloocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > bloocow <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > arsed

    > valves
    > > > and
    > > >
    > > > Oh hell!

    > > > Aye, me too at about 160lb ',;~}
    > > >
    > > > Shaun aRe
    > > >

    > > Me too at 195lb. Woo Hoo!
    > >
    > > Westie
    > >

    > Unless you guys are 10 ft tall, go shake your lard asses elsewhere.
    >
    > ;-p
    >
    > bloocow.

  19. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Anyone tried to blow up a wheel with a shock pump. I did for the last 3 months! Dont do it. As the
    > song goes... Presta presta, Ra, Ra, Ra, Presta Presta, Ra, Ra, Raaaaaaaaa Psssssttt! Shite its
    > gone down, that bloody nut!

    It is extremely dangerous to put loose shock-pump air in something designed for tight floor-pump
    air. For obvious reasons.

    Bill "used a cherry bomb to blow up my last wheel" S.

  20. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > "Kent" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > Anyone tried to blow up a wheel with a shock pump. I did for the last 3 months! Dont do it. As
    > > the song goes... Presta presta, Ra, Ra, Ra, Presta Presta, Ra, Ra, Raaaaaaaaa Psssssttt! Shite
    > > its gone down, that bloody nut!
    >
    > It is extremely dangerous to put loose shock-pump air in something
    designed
    > for tight floor-pump air. For obvious reasons.

    Isn't that meant to be TIGHT shock pump air and LOOSE floor-pump air? I thought that tight air
    fitted into the tight small space of the air shock better than loose air? Or have I got it wrong and
    it should be positive air in the negative chamber. Or tight air in the loose chamber? Or....

    Westie