Presta tube in a Schrader rim

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ®

Guest
Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® wrote:
> Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.

Wrap the little rubber band that comes on new tubes around the base of the
stem and insert it. Pump and ride.

Bill "no family newsgroup cracks" S.

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® wrote:
> > Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.

> Wrap the little rubber band that comes on new tubes around the base of

the
> stem and insert it. Pump and ride.
>
> Bill "no family newsgroup cracks" S.

In a jam you can wrap a rubber band around the presta valve stem but you
should find one of the metal adapters or a rubber grommet adapter as soon
as you can.

In addition you can take an old tube and cut out a 1" square then punch a
hole in the center with a paper punch. Place the square over the presta
valve stem on the inside of the rim and it will give you a little more
protection from a blowout at the stem.

Chas.

On 2007-06-02 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.

Slight potential for a blow out at the stem if you're running high
presure tyres.

That said back when I was younger (not all that long a go really)
I rode a touring bike with 37-700 tyres with presta stem poking through
schreader hole with no problems at all for 2 years

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
[email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes

Agreed with last post. Slight chance of blowout at stem but I rocked
it for quite a while on an old 10 sp at 75 psi and never had a
problem. Working at a bike shop, we certainly never recommend it but
there we have to worry about liablity and customers being promised
things. In reality, you are unlikely to get a flat from it. Around
here the glass will get you long before the presta tube does. But
don't say we didn't warn you...

marshall
www.bendbikensport.com

On Jun 2, 3:25 pm, Joel Mayes <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2007-06-02 <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.

> Slight potential for a blow out at the stem if you're running high
> presure tyres.
>
> That said back when I was younger (not all that long a go really)
> I rode a touring bike with 37-700 tyres with presta stem poking through
> schreader hole with no problems at all for 2 years
>
> --
> Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
> [email protected] | Affordable second hand bikes
> (03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centrewww.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction

Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® wrote:
> Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.

One set of my XC wheels are shrader and I regularly run presta tubes
with no issues

On Jun 3, 4:28 pm, wizardB <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® wrote:> Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.
>
> One set of my XC wheels are shrader and I regularly run presta tubes
> with no issues

As long as you use the nuts and their tight.

Crazy Fred wrote:
> On Jun 3, 4:28 pm, wizardB <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Hayfever Edition ® wrote:> Is it a really bad idea? I don't have a Presta saver thingie.
>>
>> One set of my XC wheels are shrader and I regularly run presta tubes
>> with no issues

> As long as you use the nuts and their tight.

Sorry Fred but I don't use the tube nuts on any bike I find if you use
care to properly align the valve stem on first fill you'll never have
problems.

On Jun 17, 12:08 pm, "wizardB" wrote:
> ... I don't use the tube nuts on any bike I find if you use
> care to properly align the valve stem on first fill you'll never have
> problems.

If the tube nut is not used, the stem wants to retreat into the tube
when you try to attach the pump head. This may not be a big deal on
skinny road tires, where pushing on the tire will hold the stem in
place, but that action is harder to do on fat tires (particularly
knobby tires with relatively stiff sidewalls).