Presta Tube in a Shrader-drilled rim

BCDrums

Guest
Do I need a doodad to do this? If so, what is it called?

BC

BCDrums wrote:

> Do I need a doodad to do this? If so, what is it called?

It's a little rubber donut thingy (AKA "doodad"). Don't /need/ one, but
helps a little (less noisy, for one thing).

Bill "wrenched" S.

On Jun 26, 7:17 pm, BCDrums <[email protected]> wrote:
> Do I need a doodad to do this? If so, what is it called?
>
> BC

You can use a "presta stem saver", made by Wheels Mfg. Their part #
PSS-1. Much better than a rubber grommet, IMO.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:17:18 -0400, BCDrums <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Do I need a doodad to do this? If so, what is it called?
>
>BC

Dear B,

Metal doodads:

$2.80 plus shipping:
http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...Accessories&tc=Valve-Adaptors&item_id=WB-PSS1

Or $3.80 plus shipping:
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tire/Tube&sc=Valve&tc=&item_id=WB-PSS1&id=9122038375

Rubber doodads:
$0.60 plus shipping
http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...im Grommet&tc=&item_id=CU-87685&id=9122038375

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:17:18 -0400, BCDrums <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Do I need a doodad to do this? If so, what is it called?
>>
>> BC

> Dear B,
>
> Metal doodads:
>
> $2.80 plus shipping:
> http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...Accessories&tc=Valve-Adaptors&item_id=WB-PSS1
>
> Or $3.80 plus shipping:
> http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tire/Tube&sc=Valve&tc=&item_id=WB-PSS1&id=9122038375
>
> Rubber doodads:
> $0.60 plus shipping
> http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...im Grommet&tc=&item_id=CU-87685&id=9122038375
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

Just a word of warning -- check the clearance. I had one rim with one of
these things and when I went to change the tube found that everything
had corroded tight. I had to cut off the valve stem and drill it out.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:05:57 -0400, Peter Cole
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Just a word of warning -- check the clearance. I had one rim with one of
>these things and when I went to change the tube found that everything
>had corroded tight. I had to cut off the valve stem and drill it out.

Perhaps a light coating of grease inside the fittings is a good idea ?

On Jun 28, 11:12 am, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:05:57 -0400, Peter Cole
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Just a word of warning -- check the clearance. I had one rim with one of
> >these things and when I went to change the tube found that everything
> >had corroded tight. I had to cut off the valve stem and drill it out.

> Perhaps a light coating of grease inside the fittings is a good idea ?

Bingo!

On Jun 28, 1:09 pm, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 28, 11:12 am, still me <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 08:05:57 -0400, Peter Cole

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >Just a word of warning -- check the clearance. I had one rim with one of
> > >these things and when I went to change the tube found that everything
> > >had corroded tight. I had to cut off the valve stem and drill it out.

> > Perhaps a light coating of grease inside the fittings is a good idea ?

> Bingo!

I installed one of these reducers into my winter wheelset in October
and greased it pretty well..

This spring I needed to hammer both of them out.

FYI

John McMurry

still me wrote:
> Perhaps a light coating of grease inside the fittings is a good idea ?

I'm with Peter. I think more clearance was the best solution.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:25:35 -0000, John <[email protected]>
wrote:

>> > Perhaps a light coating of grease inside the fittings is a good idea ?

>> Bingo!

>I installed one of these reducers into my winter wheelset in October
>and greased it pretty well..
>
>This spring I needed to hammer both of them out.
>
>FYI
>
>John McMurry

Maybe the rubber grommet is still the best choice. It doesn't seem
like the type of repair you want to run into on the road.

In article <[email protected]>,
Ozark Bicycle <[email protected]> wrote:
>On Jun 26, 7:17 pm, BCDrums <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Do I need a doodad to do this? If so, what is it called?

>You can use a "presta stem saver", made by Wheels Mfg. Their part #
>PSS-1. Much better than a rubber grommet, IMO.

Incidentally, I use one of these on a _presta_ rim (mavic open
sport). The valve hole at the base of the tube is drilled to the same
diameter as the spoke holes - too large to directly support the metal
of the valve stem. With the hole edge pressing against rubber, tension
from the stem nut pulls on the stem-to-rubber bond, and I suspect this
contributes to valves tearing out for some people. With a washer in
place, the valve base pulls on the washer which presses straight on
the rim - the rubber of the tube doesn't see or care about the stem nut.

I had to cut the stem saver in half to fit the depth of the rim.
It's held in place by my rim tape when I change tubes.

-Luns

[email protected] wrote:

> Metal doodads:
>
> $2.80 plus shipping:
> http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?i...Accessories&tc=Valve-Adaptors&item_id=WB-PSS1
>
> Or $3.80 plus shipping:
> http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tire/Tube&sc=Valve&tc=&item_id=WB-PSS1&id=9122038375
>
> Rubber doodads:
> $0.60 plus shipping
> http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cg...im Grommet&tc=&item_id=CU-87685&id=9122038375

Home Depot sells the proper grommets in the electrical department, I
bought some a week or so ago.

I was lending some 700C tires to a relative who needed some
mountain-bike like tires and I had some and she couldn't find any. All I
had was some presta tubes, so I bought some grommets. I went to install
the tires and tubes, and the presta tube for some reason was just way
too big in diameter. It was the same brand presta tube as the existing
tube she had (Kenda) but it was unusable. So I ended up patching the
schrader tube and not using the presta tubes or the grommets.

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:38:34 -0700, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>BCDrums wrote:
>
>> Do I need a doodad to do this? If so, what is it called?

>It's a little rubber donut thingy (AKA "doodad"). Don't /need/ one, but
>helps a little (less noisy, for one thing).

I've got metal screw-on nuts with an internal presta thread and a
schraeder/dunlop sized exterior. According to the pictures in the catalog,
they're supposed to replace the regularvalve nut, tightening from above
after you've installed the tire. However, if you do that they stand well
proud of the hole because the valve stem protrudes through the larger
hole. If you put them on upside down before installing the tire, though,
they work pretty well.

Jasper