Presta Tubes and floor pumps

Sammy Shuford

Guest
I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
can pump with both hands?

Or should I keep using threaded valve stems?

Thanks.

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
> WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
> rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
> can pump with both hands?

Well, mine does. Your pump head may be different (but I doubt it).
Probably you only need to replace the rubber gasket in the head, if one
can be found.

-Mark, who really likes smooth presta valve stems.

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
> WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
> rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
> can pump with both hands?
>
> Or should I keep using threaded valve stems?

The rubber grommet inside the pump head will wear out eventually in any
pump. A new grommet should hold onto smooth presta stems securely. It
can be easily replaced for a dollar or two. Consult your local bike
shop.

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
> WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
> rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
> can pump with both hands?
>
> Or should I keep using threaded valve stems?

The rubber grommet inside the pump head will wear out eventually in any
pump. A new grommet should hold onto smooth presta stems securely. It
can be easily replaced for a dollar or two. Consult your local bike
shop.

On 17 May 2006 16:37:08 -0700, "Sammy Shuford" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
>WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
>rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
>can pump with both hands?
>
>Or should I keep using threaded valve stems?
>
>Thanks.

Checkout the Topeak smarthead, it works fine on smooth stems.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
> WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
> rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
> can pump with both hands?
>
> Or should I keep using threaded valve stems?
>
> Thanks.

Eventually it will even stop holding threaded stems. It's just a
question of wear. You need to replace the grommet that holds the valve
in the head, or the entire head assembly. If you get a new head, make
sure you get one that you can get replacement grommets for. In my area
the LBS tries to sell you an entire new pump. Don't fall for this. You
can get a new head for a reasonable price from Harris cycle Shop in
Newton, Mass (where Sheldon Brown works)
HTH,
EJ in NJ

Sammy Shuford wrote:
> I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
> WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
> rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
> can pump with both hands?
>
> Or should I keep using threaded valve stems?
>
> Thanks.

Normally a new rubber washer helps, as others have said.

In my pump the washer was new enough I didn't think replacing it would
help (for long), so I used 80 grit emery cloth to roughen the
(formerly) smooth valve. Worked for me!

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I have a presta pump head that holds tight to a threaded stem, but it
>WILL NOT HOLD to a smooth stem. Looking inside the pump head, I see
>rubber torn. Will a new pump head hold SMOOTH PRESTA VALVE STEMS so I
>can pump with both hands?
>
>Or should I keep using threaded valve stems?

replace the rubber washer in the pump head.
Alex

To All;
>From the looks of this head, getting it apart and back together is

unlikely. I'm lucky if the LBS has a PUMP, the little gasket forget
it.

Jeff,
I have ordered the Topeak Smart head upgrade kit, with hose and the
smart head. Thanks for the advice!