Presta tubes in Schraeder rims?

CZSteve

Jul 15, 2007
Hello

Just picked up an older Specialized mountain bike that I'm going to build into a comfort bike for my wife.

The rims are drilled for Schraeder valves.
Any problem using Presta valved tubes - that's what I'm used too, or just stick w/ the Schraeder?

My floor pump does have a dual head.

Thanks
Steve

No real problems I've noticed. Rode around for ages using Presta's in a rim suited for Schraeder valves. Mind you, this bike was my commuter and didn't go off-road. Others have suggested to vut a piece of old tubing and wrap it around the valve before insertion. I'm sure I read in the forums somewhere that you could buy a little 'adapter' which sits around the valve to stop it from wriggling about. Wouldn't quote me on that one though.

I once had a new bike which was drilled for schraeder and came equipped with presta.
No problems.

Are there any advantages in using a presta tube rather than a schraeder tube?
A common problem that I constantly ran into with schraeder tubes is that their valve stem was simply not long enough to clear the rim with adequate space thus making changing a flat much more complicated. Would switching to a presta tube solve my problem?

Presta tubes can be bought with different length stems to allow for different rim profiles.