presta v Schrader

montreal5

May 28, 2006
I recently got slicks for my hybrid. The recommended PSI is 80-100. I have schrader tubes, and i noticed that the pressure will drop by 10 psi in a day or so. Will presta tubes hold their pressure longer? Will there be a problem with my rims which are drilled for Schrader vavles? right now I just pump up before every ride, but it might be nice to not worry about it.

If you are losing 10 lbs a day, then you have a high pressure leak in the inner tube. I don't recommend going to pesta as there are no advantages. If you can't find the leak, just replace the tube, about $5.

I pump my tires everyday... my road bike at 120 loses will lose 20lbs every 3 days... it just happens that's why I have a silca super pista floor pump. Nicer tubes and nicer tires will hold the air a bit longer but tubes always lose pressure...

Lighter and thinner tubes lose more air than the thicker heavier ones, regardless of valve type. Presta Valves cater better for double wall and deep-v rims. They break away more cleanly than Schrader, look better too.. :cool: If changing from S to P, the LBS should have some little gromets to fit into the rims.

gclark8 said:
Lighter and thinner tubes lose more air than the thicker heavier ones, regardless of valve type. Presta Valves cater better for double wall and deep-v rims. They break away more cleanly than Schrader, look better too.. :cool: If changing from S to P, the LBS should have some little gromets to fit into the rims.
/lkn;