Presta valve removal

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Eric Bahringer, Feb 18, 2004.

  1. Im trying to install valve extenders on a pair of tubular Vittoria tires. HOw does one go about
    removing the original presta valves? The pictures included with the extenders are useless.

    Eric Bahringer

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 18 Feb 2004 16:05:47 -0800, [email protected] (Eric Bahringer) may
    have said:

    >Im trying to install valve extenders on a pair of tubular Vittoria tires. HOw does one go about
    >removing the original presta valves? The pictures included with the extenders are useless.

    If the valve core isn't removable, you don't. On the one occasion when I extended a presta valve, I
    loctited the small nut to the tip of the valve rod (with the nut backed off several turns) and then
    screwed the extender on. It worked. This is not possible with all presta valve extenders; some only
    work with the type of presta that has a removable core. I've never had any of those.

    More here:

    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/wheel.html

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    Eric Bahringer wrote:
    > Im trying to install valve extenders on a pair of tubular Vittoria tires. HOw does one go about
    > removing the original presta valves? The pictures included with the extenders are useless.

    The extenders I've used, you just unscrew the little nut at the end of the presta valve all the way,
    then screw the extender onto the thread that the valve cap normally screws onto. I also put a bit of
    plumbers teflon tape on the thread to help seal it.

    Nick