"Newsgroups" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:I keep getting holes at the juncture of the tube and the perpendicular rubber attachment to the
threaded metal sleeve.Question:
Am I inserting the valve stem incorrectly? I try to align the stem perfectly centered and
perpendicular to the rim.Also, I asked my lbs how tight to turn the ring over the stem threads, and they said "not tight at
all: leave it a little loose".Am I missing something here, or am I just unlucky with blowouts at that spot?
TIA
Howard
If it is a wheel that you've used without any valve problems in the past, the problem must be poorly
manufactured tubes. If it is a new wheel, the problem still is probably due to poorly made tubes,
but do check for sharp edges and burrs in the rim's valve hole.
I think well made tubes should have valves that can withstand the rigors of being pumped up with
frame pumps or mini pumps and, of course floor pumps. It is very unlikely that you are doing
anything way wrong in pumping up your tires, but if not sure, review your technique with your LBS.
Perhaps you could see if your LBS has another brand of tube for you to try. If the tubes that give
problems are made in Asia, then try German Continental tubes or visa versa.
Regarding the rings, since everything stays together and works fine without them, I leave them off.
My wife, however, likes them for some reason and that's good enough for me, so I put them on her
bike, screwed on snuggly enough so they don't come off.
Steve Shapiro [email hidden]