Presta valve sticks.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Michael Press, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. One of my presta valves sticks. Even though I push it
    before connecting the pump chuck, it requires
    over-pressure of approximately 50 psi to overcome the
    sticky seat and inflate the tire. It does not get better.
    I have considered various chemicals (water, detergent,
    penetrating lubricant, light mineral oil) to fix it, but
    prefer a tried-and-true solution. Anyone? or will I have
    to throw away the tube when it gets too sticky to inflate?

    --
    Michael Press
     
    Tags:


  2. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Michael Press wrote:
    > One of my presta valves sticks. Even though I push it
    > before connecting the pump chuck, it requires
    > over-pressure of approximately 50 psi to overcome the
    > sticky seat and inflate the tire. It does not get better.
    > I have considered various chemicals (water, detergent,
    > penetrating lubricant, light mineral oil) to fix it, but
    > prefer a tried-and-true solution. Anyone? or will I have
    > to throw away the tube when it gets too sticky to inflate?
    >


    All of my presta valves stick -- no biggie.
     
  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Peter Cole wrote:
    > Michael Press wrote:
    >
    >> One of my presta valves sticks. Even though I push it before
    >> connecting the pump chuck, it requires over-pressure of approximately
    >> 50 psi to overcome the sticky seat and inflate the tire. It does not
    >> get better. I have considered various chemicals (water, detergent,
    >> penetrating lubricant, light mineral oil) to fix it, but prefer a
    >> tried-and-true solution. Anyone? or will I have to throw away the tube
    >> when it gets too sticky to inflate?
    >>

    >
    > All of my presta valves stick -- no biggie.


    Nope. I agree with the OP, My valves generally cause over-pressure of
    ca. 1 bar (15 psi) before they open to let air in. In this strange case
    we're talking about almost 4 bar over-pressure. So yes the valve is out
    of spec.

    If the tube (or tyre, if this is a single) is new, then return it for a
    new one. If a worn single, then see if the valve core is replaceable.

    I had this once on a new tube - I just got the LBS to swap it
    (Continental latex).

    /Robert
     
  4. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Peter Cole wrote:
    >
    > All of my presta valves stick -- no biggie.


    I have a bunch of IRC brand tubes and all of them do that. This is the
    only brand I have encountered this problem with. Annoying but still
    reliable.

    -nate
     
  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Llatikcuf wrote:
    > Peter Cole wrote:
    >
    >>All of my presta valves stick -- no biggie.

    >
    >
    > I have a bunch of IRC brand tubes and all of them do that. This is the
    > only brand I have encountered this problem with. Annoying but still
    > reliable.


    I don't think there are that many actual factories producing tubes, so
    there's a lot of re-labeling. I find that virtually all the prestas I
    use need to be tapped a couple of times before I pump. This may have
    more to do with frequency of pumping than anything else. In any case, a
    little stiction doesn't seem to hurt (unless you blow the gauge). It
    doesn't cause over-inflation, just a jump in the needle.
     
Loading...
Loading...