Presta valves and the "duh" response

John Albergo

Guest
How many dumb mistakes does it take to get stranded?

1 - forget to carry your spare tube 2 - stop to fix a flat, fail to find the object that caused the
puncture. Assume it must have been that small cut in the cords wearing through the tube. Use up 2
patches; one for the tube and one for the "cut" tire 3 - in 10 mi stop to fix another flat. Finally
discover the object that caused (both punctures). Use your last patch. 4 - Even though you have a
pump with a hose, manage to snap the brass fitting off of the presta valve while carelessly removing
the chuck.

You recall that presta valves are held shut simply by the air pressure in the tube. Figure you can
make it home no problem. Ride a few miles then go for the gusto...

5 - The tire feels a bit soft. Maybe the valve is leaking a bit after all. Why not pump it up a bit
more? Put another 15 lbs in the tire. Remove the pump. Witness the following sequence in slo motion
:00.00 - remove pump head :00.02 - hear a sound like a gunshot :00.04 - flinch :00.09 - marvel at
how fast the tire is deflating :00.10 - realize your understanding of the presta valve was correct,
and you lost the valve core into the tube when you pumped, there being no more brass nut to keep it
from diving. This triggers the "Duh" response; a unique brainwave pattern often accompanied by
painful facial expressions and pointless ponderings. There are several phases. The timeline in this
case was typical.

:00.15 surprise... "s**t!" :03.00 alarm... "S**t!" :10.00 anger... "S##T." :18.00 remorse ... "why
didn't I pack my spare tube" :35.00 acceptance... "s--t"

provided as a public service announcement

> How many dumb mistakes does it take to get stranded?

I had one of those too: -got a flat -ok, let's fit the spare -fitted the spare and tried to inflate
with CO2 cartridge -s**t, it doesn't inflate, it was punctured by the tools moving around in the
saddlebag -ok, lets patch one -s**t, the glue has dried out Luckely there was a trainstation nearby
where i could use some glue (their last drop).

Lesson learned: check my toolkit once a month or so.

Ronald wrote:
>>How many dumb mistakes does it take to get stranded?
>

> I had one of those too: -got a flat -ok, let's fit the spare -fitted the spare and tried to
> inflate with CO2 cartridge -s**t, it doesn't inflate, it was punctured by the tools moving around
> in the saddlebag -ok, lets patch one -s**t, the glue has dried out Luckely there was a
> trainstation nearby where i could use some glue (their last drop).
>
> Lesson learned: check my toolkit once a month or so.

And, carry a pack of instant patches just in case... :) (Even though they may not hold for long --
they'll get you home in a pinch).

I learned to stay out of bramble patches (mountain biking) -- over 10 holes front and back. Used my
spare tube and all of my patches and still had to pump-up the tire every 5 or so miles!

David

> And, carry a pack of instant patches just in case... :) (Even though they may not hold for long --
> they'll get you home in a
pinch).

Yes i forgot to mention that, i carry a few of those too now. And a little perfume tester bottle
with white spirit to clean the inner tube before patching, works much better/cleaner than
sanding paper.

news:[email protected]...