Presta valves w/o nuts

Patty & Doug

Guest
Help! I tried to save some money and bought 9 tubes that have presta valves but no nuts or threads.
are these any good or did I just get stung? (Airlock Self-Healing made by Specialized: My wife has
the WORST luck while riding averaging a flat every 100 miles or so on PAVED TRAILS!) Doug

No worries. Lots of folks just throw the nuts away.

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Patty & Doug wrote:

>Help! I tried to save some money and bought 9 tubes that have presta valves but no nuts or threads.
>are these any good or did I just get stung? (Airlock Self-Healing made by Specialized: My wife has
>the WORST luck while riding averaging a flat every 100 miles or so on PAVED TRAILS!) Doug

No problem. I do not put the nuts or the caps on mine. Makes inflating them faster (the caps). I
do keep a nut in my seat bag though, as it helps when putting a new tube in as it keeps the valve
stem in place.

Regarding you wife's bad luck. Have you examined the tubes after these flats? What do the holes look
like? If she is having so many flats, I would check on.

The inner rim (is there some rough edges where the rim was welded? If so, just file them smooth (Had
this on a Helium wheel).

Examine the rim tape. If it that cheesy stuff the bike came with, pull it off and replace it with
some nice, sticky fabric tape velox or equiv.

How much air is she putting in the tires? Depending on her weight, which I suggest you don't ask her
about, she may be getting pinch flats. Make certain she is riding with properly inflated tires.

From: John B. Rees [email protected] http://www.jrees.net/

"Patty & Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Help! I tried to save some money and bought 9 tubes that have presta
valves
> but no nuts or threads. are these any good or did I just get stung? (Airlock Self-Healing made by
> Specialized: My wife has the WORST luck
while
> riding averaging a flat every 100 miles or so on PAVED TRAILS!) Doug

There are other brands which have dropped the vestigal threads. And leave those nuts off your own
wheels, too. They don't do anything useful * and can add to problems at the valve base.

*WIth big fat MTB tires, I'm told these are helpful to keep the valve from falling down into the
tire when you begin to pump. Of course if the pump is a sung fit on the valve, that shouldn't be a
problem . . . Comments from the fat tire crowd?

Thanks for the help and advice. The valves don't even have threads on them.

The flats my wife gets are from the craziest things. The latest one was from a tiny little stick.
The one before that was a sharp little stone about the size of a kernel of corn! The strangest thing
is that we ride together 99% of the time and she can find things that penetrate the tire no matter
where we go!

She only weighs about 125 and we keep the tires inflated to 75# (recommended pressure on our
700 X 35C.)

Again, thanks for the info.

Doug "John Rees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Patty & Doug wrote:
>
> >Help! I tried to save some money and bought 9 tubes that have presta
valves
> >but no nuts or threads. are these any good or did I just get stung? (Airlock Self-Healing made by
> >Specialized: My wife has the WORST luck
while
> >riding averaging a flat every 100 miles or so on PAVED TRAILS!) Doug
>
> No problem. I do not put the nuts or the caps on mine. Makes inflating
them
> faster (the caps). I do keep a nut in my seat bag though, as it helps
when
> putting a new tube in as it keeps the valve stem in place.
>
> Regarding you wife's bad luck. Have you examined the tubes after these
flats?
> What do the holes look like? If she is having so many flats, I would
check on.

> The inner rim (is there some rough edges where the rim was welded? If so,
just
> file them smooth (Had this on a Helium wheel).
>
> Examine the rim tape. If it that cheesy stuff the bike came with, pull it
off
> and replace it with some nice, sticky fabric tape velox or equiv.
>
> How much air is she putting in the tires? Depending on her weight, which
> suggest you don't ask her about, she may be getting pinch flats. Make
certain
> she is riding with properly inflated tires.
>
> From: John B. Rees [email protected] http://www.jrees.net/

I know what you mean as far as problems. I tightened one down too far once and ended up with a leak.
Fortunately it made itself known before we left home. And yes, it was on my wife's bike! "A Muzi"

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

> There are other brands which have dropped the vestigal threads. And leave those nuts off your own
> wheels, too. They don't do anything useful * and can add to problems at the valve base.

They keep the valve stem from buzzing when it vibrates against the inside of the stem hole.
Although I've never had unthreaded stems do this, only threaded ones. Maybe the threaded ones are
smaller diameter.

--
Ray Heindl

Ya gotta teach her to ride AROUND the **** in the road, not over it! My ex never did figure