Presta valves with Track Pump

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Miles, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. David Miles

    David Miles Guest

    I have a Zefal track pump, and want to pump tyres with presta valves. The basic outlet on the pump
    is for Schrader type valves but it came with an adapter which fitted into the Schrader outlet, and
    had a rubber insert within it which sealed onto the Presta thread. Unfortunately the rubber has worn
    over the years and needs replacing. But all the bike shops I try now offer me a small brass adapter
    which just screws onto the Presta thread, with the other end going into the Schrader outlet of the
    pump. There is no rubber and the seal between the bare threads is poor so that I seem to let out
    more air than I put in!

    Does anyone know a source of a better adapter? Since I need two hands to work the pump, I would
    ideally like something which doesn't need another person to hold it on the valve while pumping.
    Surely this is not an uncommon requirement,, but the bike shops don't seem to have ideas.

    Tags:

  2. Richard

    Richard Guest

    David Miles wrote:
    > ...offer me a small brass adapter which just screws onto the Presta thread, with the other end
    > going into the Schrader outlet of the pump. There is no rubber and the seal between the bare
    > threads is poor so that I seem to let out more air than I put in!

    How about winding a couple of wraps of white PTFE plumbers' tape around the adaptor thread where the
    Schrader clamps around it?

    R.

  3. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    David Miles <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > I have a Zefal track pump, and want to pump tyres with presta valves. The basic outlet on the pump
    > is for Schrader type valves but it came with an adapter which fitted into the Schrader outlet, and
    > had a rubber insert within it which sealed onto the Presta thread. Unfortunately the rubber has
    > worn over the years and needs replacing. But all the bike shops I try now offer me a small brass
    > adapter which just screws onto the Presta thread, with the other end going into the Schrader
    > outlet of the pump. There is no rubber and the seal between the bare threads is poor so that I
    > seem to let out more air than I put in!
    >
    > Does anyone know a source of a better adapter? Since I need two hands to work the pump, I would
    > ideally like something which doesn't need another person to hold it on the valve while pumping.
    > Surely this is not an uncommon requirement,, but the bike shops don't seem to have ideas.

    Try Mike Dyason (http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/). I bought an adaptor from them
    (http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=19&text_company=PUMPS under "Track Pump Twin
    Head Adaptor") to replace the brass push-on thingy at the end of a cheapo track pump. It works
    pretty well.

    But you do have to cut off the old adapter, which may not be what you want to do. If not, there are
    also some other adapters listed on that page, but no idea what they are like.

    Toby

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    David Miles wrote:

    > Unfortunately the rubber has worn over the years and needs replacing.

    Worn, or gone hard? If it's just gone hard you might be able to resuscitate it by soaking it in DOT4
    brake fluid.

    --
    Guy
    ===

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    David Miles wrote:
    > Does anyone know a source of a better adapter?

    I got one from SJS Cycles* with an O-ring. It works (I just have one so I can use garages in
    emergencies) - but I reckon changing the pump head will be better. Chop it off and connect a new
    one. Any brand should do if the hose diameter is appropriate. A _good_ bike shop should be able to
    help you there, or.......

    * http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm - adaptors £1.99, also do Silca heads - ok except has
    tendency to slip so requires pushing on v firmly

    ~PB

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > Silca heads - ok except has tendency to slip so requires pushing on v firmly

    I mean not grip the valve tightly enough.

    ~PB

  7. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > but I reckon changing the pump head will be better.

    And I reckon he's right. A twin-head or works-on-both head is miles better than using adapters IME.
    I've found that adapters are far better at producing those conditions where "pumping the tyre up"
    lets out more air than it puts in...

    Pete.

    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  8. David Miles <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a Zefal track pump, and want to pump tyres with presta valves. The basic outlet on the pump
    > is for Schrader type valves but it came with an adapter which fitted into the Schrader outlet, and
    > had a rubber insert within it which sealed onto the Presta thread.
    [...]
    > Does anyone know a source of a better adapter?

    Topeak Twinhead. Got mine from the CTC online shop. Comes complete with hose: I just unscrewed the
    one already on my Zefal pump and replaced it with the Topeak one. Does away with any extraneous
    adaptors, it's a push fit onto either schraeder or presta valves. Works fine for me.

    - Bill -

  9. David Miles

    David Miles Guest

    Thanks to everyone for such prompt replies. I couldn't find an adaptor at the CTC online shop, but
    I've ordered the Twin Head from Dyason. Everyone seems to think two heads are better than one
    (adaptor!)