Presta valves with Track Pump

David Miles

Guest
I have a Zefal track pump, and want to pump tyres with presta valves. The basic outlet on the pump
is for Schrader type valves but it came with an adapter which fitted into the Schrader outlet, and
had a rubber insert within it which sealed onto the Presta thread. Unfortunately the rubber has worn
over the years and needs replacing. But all the bike shops I try now offer me a small brass adapter
which just screws onto the Presta thread, with the other end going into the Schrader outlet of the
pump. There is no rubber and the seal between the bare threads is poor so that I seem to let out
more air than I put in!

Does anyone know a source of a better adapter? Since I need two hands to work the pump, I would
ideally like something which doesn't need another person to hold it on the valve while pumping.
Surely this is not an uncommon requirement,, but the bike shops don't seem to have ideas.

David Miles wrote:
> ...offer me a small brass adapter which just screws onto the Presta thread, with the other end
> going into the Schrader outlet of the pump. There is no rubber and the seal between the bare
> threads is poor so that I seem to let out more air than I put in!

How about winding a couple of wraps of white PTFE plumbers' tape around the adaptor thread where the
Schrader clamps around it?

R.

David Miles <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> I have a Zefal track pump, and want to pump tyres with presta valves. The basic outlet on the pump
> is for Schrader type valves but it came with an adapter which fitted into the Schrader outlet, and
> had a rubber insert within it which sealed onto the Presta thread. Unfortunately the rubber has
> worn over the years and needs replacing. But all the bike shops I try now offer me a small brass
> adapter which just screws onto the Presta thread, with the other end going into the Schrader
> outlet of the pump. There is no rubber and the seal between the bare threads is poor so that I
> seem to let out more air than I put in!
>
> Does anyone know a source of a better adapter? Since I need two hands to work the pump, I would
> ideally like something which doesn't need another person to hold it on the valve while pumping.
> Surely this is not an uncommon requirement,, but the bike shops don't seem to have ideas.

Try Mike Dyason (http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/). I bought an adaptor from them
(http://www.mwdyason.ltd.uk/shop.asp?no_category=19&text_company=PUMPS under "Track Pump Twin
Head Adaptor") to replace the brass push-on thingy at the end of a cheapo track pump. It works
pretty well.

But you do have to cut off the old adapter, which may not be what you want to do. If not, there are
also some other adapters listed on that page, but no idea what they are like.

Toby

David Miles wrote:

> Unfortunately the rubber has worn over the years and needs replacing.

Worn, or gone hard? If it's just gone hard you might be able to resuscitate it by soaking it in DOT4
brake fluid.

--
Guy
===

David Miles wrote:
> Does anyone know a source of a better adapter?

I got one from SJS Cycles* with an O-ring. It works (I just have one so I can use garages in
emergencies) - but I reckon changing the pump head will be better. Chop it off and connect a new
one. Any brand should do if the hose diameter is appropriate. A _good_ bike shop should be able to
help you there, or.......

* http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm - adaptors £1.99, also do Silca heads - ok except has
tendency to slip so requires pushing on v firmly

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Silca heads - ok except has tendency to slip so requires pushing on v firmly

I mean not grip the valve tightly enough.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> but I reckon changing the pump head will be better.

And I reckon he's right. A twin-head or works-on-both head is miles better than using adapters IME.
I've found that adapters are far better at producing those conditions where "pumping the tyre up"
lets out more air than it puts in...

Pete.

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

David Miles <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a Zefal track pump, and want to pump tyres with presta valves. The basic outlet on the pump
> is for Schrader type valves but it came with an adapter which fitted into the Schrader outlet, and
> had a rubber insert within it which sealed onto the Presta thread.
[...]
> Does anyone know a source of a better adapter?

Topeak Twinhead. Got mine from the CTC online shop. Comes complete with hose: I just unscrewed the
one already on my Zefal pump and replaced it with the Topeak one. Does away with any extraneous
adaptors, it's a push fit onto either schraeder or presta valves. Works fine for me.

- Bill -

Thanks to everyone for such prompt replies. I couldn't find an adaptor at the CTC online shop, but
I've ordered the Twin Head from Dyason. Everyone seems to think two heads are better than one
(adaptor!)