Presta vs Schrader

Daniel B. Martin

Guest
Hello.

I just got a new road bike, one with Presta tube stems. The other
bikes in my stable (road and MTB) have Schrader stems. I have a stock
of tubes with Schrader stems. Fussing with the inflation adapter is a
nuisance.

The rims are Alexrims AT400. http://alexrims.com/rims/r_at400.htm

Is it okay to drill out the rim holes on the new bike to use Schrader
tubes? If not, why not? Thank you.

Daniel B. Martin

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:59:25 +0000, Daniel B. Martin wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I just got a new road bike, one with Presta tube stems. The other
> bikes in my stable (road and MTB) have Schrader stems. I have a stock
> of tubes with Schrader stems. Fussing with the inflation adapter is a
> nuisance.
>
> The rims are Alexrims AT400. http://alexrims.com/rims/r_at400.htm
>
> Is it okay to drill out the rim holes on the new bike to use Schrader
> tubes? If not, why not? Thank you.

Just put Presta tubes in your MTB tires. Presta are better for bike
tires, because they don't lose air while you're removing the air chuck.

There's no problem using Presta valve stems in the larger Schrader holes.
I've been doing it for years.

Matt O.

Daniel B. Martin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just got a new road bike, one with Presta tube stems. The other
> bikes in my stable (road and MTB) have Schrader stems. I have a stock
> of tubes with Schrader stems. Fussing with the inflation adapter is a
> nuisance.
>
> The rims are Alexrims AT400. http://alexrims.com/rims/r_at400.htm
>
> Is it okay to drill out the rim holes on the new bike to use Schrader
> tubes? If not, why not? Thank you.
>
> Daniel B. Martin

You should have no problem drilling out the presta sized hole up to the
size required for the Schrader valve. Just be careful to remove any
burrs and sharp edges which might cut into the new valve stem.
HTH
EJ in NJ

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:59:25 GMT, "Daniel B. Martin"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I just got a new road bike, one with Presta tube stems. The other
>bikes in my stable (road and MTB) have Schrader stems. I have a stock
>of tubes with Schrader stems. Fussing with the inflation adapter is a
>nuisance.
>
>The rims are Alexrims AT400. http://alexrims.com/rims/r_at400.htm
>
>Is it okay to drill out the rim holes on the new bike to use Schrader
>tubes? If not, why not? Thank you.
>
>Daniel B. Martin

Here's an idea, buy a new head for your pump. Get a Topeak smarthead,
it works on both wwith no adapters.

I wouldn't drill out those rims.

Life is Good!
Jeff

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello.
>
>I just got a new road bike, one with Presta tube stems. The other
>bikes in my stable (road and MTB) have Schrader stems. I have a stock
>of tubes with Schrader stems. Fussing with the inflation adapter is a
>nuisance.
>
>The rims are Alexrims AT400. http://alexrims.com/rims/r_at400.htm
>
>Is it okay to drill out the rim holes on the new bike to use Schrader
>tubes? If not, why not? Thank you.

IMO, that rim is too narrow to allow the base flange of a Schrader
valve to properly seat down between the rim walls. I've got some
wheels that are slightly wider than those (flange to flange) which are
drilled for Schrader valves, and it's often necessary to powder the
tube liberally and then inflate and deflate it several times before
the valve seats firmly in place.

Yes, the Presta adapters are a pain. Flats due to tube failures at
the valve flange are a pain too. I'd stay with the Prestas.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.