Prevalance of Bents

Bentriderlon

Sep 21, 2005
Since we can't post to the newsgroups anymore without a great deal of marigmarole, and since I don't much like usenet anyway, I have brought this thread over. It started with a question regarding Bicycling Magazine not covering bents and then moved to how bents are on the rise in North America. A writer posted a challenge to that view.

I think this is all relative. Is bent use increasing? It is for me. I just got one. Is it increasing in any sort of global manner? Probably. The demographic data is conclusive with respect to the North American 'aging' population. In Canada 65% of the population are children of the post war 'baby-boom'. The situation is similar in the US but the boomers are a wee bit older because the boom started there a bit earlier. As these folks get older (and the 'leading edge' of the boom is reaching retirement age now) they will be gravitating towards bents as they will be seeking more comfortable rides that are easier on the body. My prognostication (as a psychologist and demographer) is that the popularity of the bent (and its sales figures) will increase markedly over the next five to ten years. Other opinions?

Charles :)

I have the same opinion, based on direct observation. The bent population of my club (a fairly large one at around a thousand members) is 12-15%, and the percentage is even higher among the most active riders in the club. Every year there are more bents, too. Sometimes, bents will outnumber uprights on a club ride.

Bicycling Magazine, a.k.a. Buycycling Mag, a.k.a. B.M. ceased to be relevant when they fired their recumbent-friendly editors and brought in the youngsters. It wasn't just the deliberate exclusion of recumbent coverage (no tandem coverage either,) but the overall drop in content quality associated with the new staff. After the reorg at their front office I let my subscription lapse. In spite of assurances that nothing would change, it was pretty obvious that the publication was in a death spiral. By some figures I saw, their subscriber base dropped by 60% and has never recovered to pre-reorg levels. I know I haven't bought another issue since.

blazingpedals said:
I have the same opinion, based on direct observation. The bent population of my club (a fairly large one at around a thousand members) is 12-15%, and the percentage is even higher among the most active riders in the club. Every year there are more bents, too. Sometimes, bents will outnumber uprights on a club ride.

Bicycling Magazine, a.k.a. Buycycling Mag, a.k.a. B.M. ceased to be relevant when they fired their recumbent-friendly editors and brought in the youngsters. It wasn't just the deliberate exclusion of recumbent coverage (no tandem coverage either,) but the overall drop in content quality associated with the new staff. After the reorg at their front office I let my subscription lapse. In spite of assurances that nothing would change, it was pretty obvious that the publication was in a death spiral. By some figures I saw, their subscriber base dropped by 60% and has never recovered to pre-reorg levels. I know I haven't bought another issue since.

I still pick it up on the news stand, and when I open it up I wonder why I spent the money. First there are the ads for SUVs. The rest of the ad copy probably accounts for at least 40% of the mag. Then there is the interminable "BikeTown" garbage. "Aren't we great saving America one town at a time." Then there is Selene's fitness column. Gawd, if I took her advice I'd never stay fit! "Buff up with a balance ball!" The corker for me were the ads for that snake oil that was supposed to improve male sexual function. Well, I guess they are catering to the baby-boomers again. However, the last of those ads featured a younger couple in the back seat of a car. What HE would need the product for escapes me entirely.

HeHeHe

Cheers

i got a bent as a focus to spend my cig money on. i wanted something different and i believed in my delusional mind that i would be able to keep up with my wifes df road bike.
and i think i object to being catigorized as an aging rider! like that will do any good!
i like it, it is just a much different ride. and it kept me off the cigs long enough to stay stopped.

aa9t8 said:
i got a bent as a focus to spend my cig money on. i wanted something different and i believed in my delusional mind that i would be able to keep up with my wifes df road bike.
and i think i object to being catigorized as an aging rider! like that will do any good!
i like it, it is just a much different ride. and it kept me off the cigs long enough to stay stopped.
To say that bents appeal to aging riders is not to say that everyone who rides one is aging. (Actually, we are all aging - one day at a time! :)) I ride both a bent and a twitchy li'll Italian racing number. When I want to go faaast, I ride the Bianchi. I don't consider myself to be aging (or aged).

so after i filed my objections to being an aging rider, actually i am. i took out my bent and judging from peoples reactions. the car that almost went off the road. the coments from all the sweet adorable loveing kids (treacher strike) and the teachers. i may as well have landed from another planet. however it is a really good ride and i do like it. i know i have seen 1 other bent and it was a lwb. round here we cause a ruckus going out on our tandem mtb. maybe we are too far north?

aa9t8 said:
so after i filed my objections to being an aging rider, actually i am. i took out my bent and judging from peoples reactions. the car that almost went off the road. the coments from all the sweet adorable loveing kids (treacher strike) and the teachers. i may as well have landed from another planet. however it is a really good ride and i do like it. i know i have seen 1 other bent and it was a lwb. round here we cause a ruckus going out on our tandem mtb. maybe we are too far north?
Over the last three years or so I have had five or six bents, and have only seen two or three around here in the same period. I still ride diamond frames occasionally (I have two Colnagos and a Bianchi), but I LOVE the bent. Right now I have two Challenge Hurricanes, and they are great fun. The only other bents I have seen around these parts (just north of NY City) are Bike E types. I even say one that was a tandem! I am in the midst of a very popular area for road riders, and often see the team from West Point. It is my belief that with the current fuel crisis only getting worse, people may come to their senses. Riding, bent or not, is just GOOD for YOU. If you wish to do it in comfort you choose a bent. You have the same choices of "cruiser" types, or "racer" types, depending upon preference.
I have had some truly great interactions with other cyclists and pedestrians who marvel at the quasi-lowracer Hurricanes. It is the ultimate conversation piece, and I get the satisfaction of knowing that I am promoting both riding and recumbents. People absolutely love the opportunity to climb into the saddle (okay, drop down onto the very low seat). I get a kick out of it.
My feeling is that we are on the verge of the second bicycle boom. The last one (if you remember) was in the 70's following the first gas crisis. The difference now is technology. More choices, better machines. The American market has yet to "discover" recumbents. When it does you will see them everywhere.
Two benefits you will see: Improved recumbent design/technology, and more importantly a move to make value priced recumbents for the "mass" market.
This is an exciting time to be involved with these great machines.

We live in the Northwest, and yes we are baby boomers. My husband bought a Tour Easy this year and everyone stops to watch him go by or stop him and ask questions. Now there are several recumbents in our area and more every day. I am even transitioning to one - different brand. He absolutely loves riding it. It is more relaxing and not so hard on your sholders and head, looking up all the time. We are looking forward to the weather changing so that we can get out again and start pedaling. RECUMBENT IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!:)