Preventing accidently operating brake leaver with wheel removed

Tizer

Sep 11, 2003
In regard to hydraulic disc brakes. Is there anything on the market to prevent the brake leavers from accidently being operated once the wheel has been removed?
For example; I remove the front wheel to allow the bike to fit into the car, it is a very delicate operation ensuring the brake leaver is not depressed whilst placing the bike in the boot.
If there is a locking device available, this will save me the time making one.

This may be a stupid Question but what happens if you do press the brake lever with hydraulic discs??? Ive got em and put me bike into the boot heaps without worrying about the brake levers...

Without the disc rotor in place by operating the leaver the pads can pop out, followed by hydaulic oil, requiring the oil to be replaced and the system bleeding to remove all the air. Should this happen on the outward journey it could mean the end of a days riding before it began.

Martin,
Go to a LBS and ask if they have any of the "spacers" that come in hydro kits. When you buy new disc brakes they typically (shimanos always should) come with an orange/yellow plastic spacer that keeps the pistons from "adjusting for pad wear" during shipping/intsall. The shops typically throw them away, but my buddies shop just started keeping them to give to people who have roof racks and such. I have an extra one, but shipping to Australia might be a bit of dough. Give it a shot at the LBS and let me know what happens. Good luck.

Any bike shop should be able to get you spacers if they don't already have them. I have a butt load of them...seriously like 100!!!! I just give them away in my shop to people that have disc brakes. Its really a must have if you transport the bike at all requireing the front wheel to be removed.