Preventing cable abrasion of paint job?

willocrew said:
Never mind the question. Found the answer. Thanks.
Well, I'm having that same problem. Can anybody pitch in and give the answer to the above question? Thanks !!

Cannondale bikes often come with a sheet of clear stickon rectangles. You figure out where the cables will rub and and apply the stickons underneath. If you clean the surface with alcohol first, they are near permenant.

If you go to your local Cannondale dealer and ask nicely, these will probably be available for the asking. The sheet of stickies has eight rectangles and you usually use only three, maybe four, of them per bike. So, at least half of them never get used.

These are made for the purpose posted.

The shifter cable stops on my Giant TCR are on the head tube. Abrasion is not a problem.

fish156 said:
Cannondale bikes often come with a sheet of clear stickon rectangles. You figure out where the cables will rub and and apply the stickons underneath. If you clean the surface with alcohol first, they are near permenant.

If you go to your local Cannondale dealer and ask nicely, these will probably be available for the asking. The sheet of stickies has eight rectangles and you usually use only three, maybe four, of them per bike. So, at least half of them never get used.

These are made for the purpose posted.
Should've thought about that. Thank you all for the quick reply

hmm I decided to just stick on some duct tape, but it looks like I might have to regularly replace it as its already coming off.

willocrew said:
hmm I decided to just stick on some duct tape, but it looks like I might have to regularly replace it as its already coming off.
BBB makes some protective patches in carbon fibre or clear finish. Their about $11 in oz. These have a stronger adhesive and tougher protective layer.

Among the other good answers, this stuff is excellent.

http://guitararmor.com/

It is tough, virtually invisibly clear and (with proper prep) will stay attached forever. It is very similar if not identical to the clear protective material on my and my kids' bikes (e.g. chainstay protector). It is also similar if not identical to the abrasion patches used on my Subaru to protect from contact points of my hood/bug deflector. It comes in sheets, but can be easily cut to any shape and size you want.

I happened to have a partial package because I have actually used it to make a clear pickguard for one of my guitars, so I tried it.

For about $10 you can have a large supply of this stuff for everything from chain protection on the chainstays, to cable protectors, to protection on areas that might rub during transport or on the repair stand, etc. etc.

Another thing I've used many times over the years which works pretty good is clear packing tape. It isn't as tough as the above stuff, but actually works pretty good and stays attached remarkably well.

Camilo said:
Among the other good answers, this stuff is excellent.

http://guitararmor.com/

It is tough, virtually invisibly clear and (with proper prep) will stay attached forever. It is very similar if not identical to the clear protective material on my and my kids' bikes (e.g. chainstay protector). It is also similar if not identical to the abrasion patches used on my Subaru to protect from contact points of my hood/bug deflector. It comes in sheets, but can be easily cut to any shape and size you want.

I happened to have a partial package because I have actually used it to make a clear pickguard for one of my guitars, so I tried it.

For about $10 you can have a large supply of this stuff for everything from chain protection on the chainstays, to cable protectors, to protection on areas that might rub during transport or on the repair stand, etc. etc.

Another thing I've used many times over the years which works pretty good is clear packing tape. It isn't as tough as the above stuff, but actually works pretty good and stays attached remarkably well.
Well, now I know what to do for my guitar and my bike!

Just got a set of protective patches.

They dont seem to work very well around very curved surfaces.

Had it on for less than a day and already the thing is peeling off at the sides to straighten itself up. I had to use duct tape to prevent the thing from peeling off.

Back to square one!

Camilo said:
Yes, and you can use that chain cleaner for your fretboard!
Life is full of surprises!:D

I did think about the paint and cable issue though. I always had the problem during transportation and getting the bike on and off the rack. You really don't bother the cable during a ride. My local LBS gave me these flexible thick plastic wraps that comes on a lot of new frames. It's already pre-rolled and easy to slide on and off and tough as armour. (These are not the foam frame protectors.) Ask your LBS before they pitch them. You can even ride with them and they don't get in the way of anything, but they're definately not a beauty enhancer to your frame. Oh yeah, they're free.:)