Preventing poison oak?

Dave at [email protected] wrote on 6/16/03 7:49 PM:

<snipped good stuff about Lan-Lin>

> If I miss seeing the stuff and don't wash and then get infected - I get a preventative
> prescription of steroids from my doctor which I take. Don't mess with it. Cures the sores
> overnight! If it is REALLY BAD, get a shot.

That's typically a Prednisone pill, and a Cortisone shot. Prednisone can have some complications for
the heart - check up on it in the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference). Also - on Prednisone, follow the
dosage to the letter - typically a big dose with tapering quantities over a week.

I'd rather not mess with either, if possible. But, the last bad case I had (shivering in 90 degree
weather, blisters draining like I was pouring water down my arms), Predni/Corti was a blessing.

"jimbo(san)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Brad and Julie Vaughn wrote:
>
> > "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> type

> picking

> > > I ride in major tick area, as well as an area with lots of poison ivy. I'd love to see
> > > somebody riding during the 90+ degree F, 85% humidity days in long pants. Hell, they'd get
> > > heat stroke, fall in poison ivy, and pick up loads of ticks ;)
> > >
> > > Jon Bond
> >
> > There's an older guy(50~60) here in Missouri that rides the Chubb trail all summer in tights. It
> > looks hot, but he could kick my ass on any trails around here. I guess he knows what he is
> > doing. People think I'm crazy to ride in 90+ degree heat and humidity with Lizard Skin shin
> > guards. I have found that if I use them religiously, I acclimate with them through the summer
> > and it doesn't bother me.
> >
> > Brad Vaughn
>
> So what does a hot looking 50-60 year old guy wearing tights have to do with preventing getting
> poison oak :eek:D
>
> Jimbo(san)

Good one...you did miss the fact that I mentioned wearing knee pads in the same post. I'm
disappointed in you. :)

Brad Vaughn

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:32:37 GMT, "*John*" <[email protected]> wrote:

. .> That's easy: stay on paved roads, where bikes belong. .> === .> I am working on creating
wildlife habitat that is off-limits to .> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the
previous 8 .> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.) .> .>
http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande .> . .Listen jackass, I was asking other mountainbikers, not "people
who have no .facts about others and care to judge them". I've gotten poison oak while .hiking too
(which I believe, in your eyes, is the only allowable form of .off-road transportation).

Yes, but I know what it looks like, so I never get it.

.Now, please tell me how I'm a typical mountain biker, a destroyer of the .environment, and an SUV
driver, blah, blah, blah. You know me so .well............. . .I doubt that this will get through to
you, in fact I don't even know why I .typed it. . .Perhaps you can get a job with the Sierra Club
(with whom I have no problem) .and express your views...............oh, that's right....... .

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande