Prevention + Cure of saddle sores?

mzagorski

Jun 17, 2003
Hi,

I've been doing quite a high volume of training lately and getting what I think are saddle sores. Basically, some slightly swollen spots where I make contact with my bike seat. I get this even with quality shorts w/decent padding... I've tried using a bit of vaseline as prevention but doesnt appear to help much.

Any tips on both prevention and cure?

Thanks

Originally posted by mzagorski
Hi,

I've been doing quite a high volume of training lately and getting what I think are saddle sores. Basically, some slightly swollen spots where I make contact with my bike seat. I get this even with quality shorts w/decent padding... I've tried using a bit of vaseline as prevention but doesnt appear to help much.

Any tips on both prevention and cure?

Thanks
Saddle-get a high quality saddle and make sure you have the height set right.
When you get a saddle sore you need to apply a heating pad and a woist wash cloth to the infected area (sit on it) for about twenty minutes. A couple of hours later repet and in the morning it should be history!
Good luck-Jmac

I have the same problem and is exacerbated by training in the rain when chafing is worse. Vaseline is probably OK. I use a zinc barrier cream which is thicker but leaves a white mark on my shorts lining. If I really want better protetection, I cut a small peice of "mole skin" and stick it over the affected area. The mole skin is usually used for padding corns when wearing shoes. It will last about one ride before it starts coming off but you don't want to keep it on too long anyway.
Apart from all that, cleaning the affected area well and drying it off (even with a dab of alcohol) can help toughen the skin area and prevent infection.

Hope this helps, Al

I had some chaffing on my inner part of my leg, eventually narrowed it down to my chamois rubbing on my leg approx. 90 times a minute for 2-3 hours at a time... You can get chamois creams from bike stores, they soften the chamois - problem solved for me.

Hope this helps

Ssushi

assos chamois cream is the donkeys........

not sure of price...maybe £5.....good sized tub.....

never really had a problem since ive started using it...maybe a year....

worth a try....

:cool: