Preventive maintenance

peter

Guest
My Cannondale roadbike (Al frame and fork with Shimano 600 [now called
Ultegra] components) is reaching the 100 kmile mark and is nearing an
age of 20 years. Wondering what recommendations people have for parts
that should be replaced for safety or other reasons. I'm about 175
lbs and a tourist-class rider living in a fairly hilly area (Eastbay
of San Francisco).
Parts on the bike that have already been replaced are:
numerous tires/tubes
many chains
about 7 cassettes
a few sets of handlebar tape
three sets of front brake pads
some cables as needed
a few spokes in the rear wheel
front rim
rear wheel bearings regreased twice
front wheel bearings regreased once
bottom bracket spindle
large chainring flipped over once due to wear.

TIA

On Feb 18, 6:04 pm, peter <[email protected]> wrote:
> My Cannondale roadbike (Al frame and fork with Shimano 600 [now called
> Ultegra] components) is reaching the 100 kmile mark and is nearing an
> age of 20 years. Wondering what recommendations people have for parts
> that should be replaced for safety or other reasons.

Stem and bars would be the most crucial things to swap. Cheap too,
Nitto classic bend for $30 and quill stems are still pretty easy to
find. Check your cranks for cracks. Check pedal spindles. Other than
that, I can't think of anything super crucial.