Price for an 86 Centurion Le Mans RS?

Chris H.

Guest
I'm trying to sell my old bike to a friend. I've got an 86 or 87 Centurion LeMans RS 58cm, biopace
rings, stock Araya rims, upgraded 600 bottom bracket, 105 rear 6 spd derailleur, stock saddle,
indexed downtube shifters, stock everything else, etc. Frame is ChroMo TangeII and the paint is in
very good condition, as is the rest of the bike. No immediate maintenance is needed. It has ~
7000+/- miles and the rubber is kinda tired. I paid ~$350 back in 87 and got alot of quality miles.

I don't want to gouge my buddy, but I don't want to give it away either!

Anyone willing to give a gratis appraisal on this old beater??!!

Thanks!

Chris Plano, TX

"Chris H." <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm trying to sell my old bike to a friend. I've got an 86 or 87 Centurion LeMans RS 58cm, biopace
> rings, stock Araya rims, upgraded 600 bottom

Ah, but the biopace chainrings alone must be worth a fortune! Seriously though, if you don't use the
bike, then to you it's worthless. Your friend on the other hand may enjoy it. On that basis I think
you should simply give it to him. You should also take into consideration that he's unlikely to ever
get a replacement 6 speed cassette (except from another old bike or crappy quality), so its lifetime
without having serious money spent on it is going to be short.

Regards,

Suzy (who couldn't bring herself to accept money for her old GT tachyon hybrid with its weird
700D wheels)

--
---
Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

>I don't want to gouge my buddy, but I don't want to give it away either!
>
>Anyone willing to give a gratis appraisal on this old beater??!!

$50 This is not the dave scott bike.

Chris H. <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm trying to sell my old bike to a friend. I've got an 86 or 87 Centurion LeMans RS 58cm,
> biopace rings, stock Araya rims, upgraded 600 bottom bracket, 105 rear 6 spd derailleur, stock
> saddle, indexed downtube shifters, stock everything else, etc. Frame is ChroMo TangeII and the
> paint is in very good condition, as is the rest of the bike. No immediate maintenance is needed.
> It has ~ 7000+/- miles and the rubber is kinda tired. I paid ~$350 back in 87 and got alot of
> quality miles.

> I don't want to gouge my buddy, but I don't want to give it away either!

> Anyone willing to give a gratis appraisal on this old beater??!!

Hard to say. With only 7000 miles on it, the bike still has a lot of life in it, but I doubt anyone
would pay much more than $100 for it (except maybe on eBay).

First, make sure the size and setup is right for your friend. An ill-fitting bike is never a
good deal.

Then, you may want to put on a new pair of IRC Triathlon tires (~$12 ea). A new set of Kool Stop
"Continental" brake pads ($6/pr) would add a nice touch. Have you ever replaced the chain? If not,
the cassette may be worn out. Putting a new chain on now may cause skipping.

Art Harris

>'m trying to sell my old bike to a friend. I've got an 86 or 87 Centurion LeMans RS 58cm, biopace
>rings, stock Araya rims, upgraded 600 bottom bracket, 105 rear 6 spd derailleur, stock saddle,
>indexed downtube shifters, stock everything else, etc. Frame is ChroMo TangeII and the paint is in
>very good condition, as is the rest of the bike. No immediate maintenance is needed. It has ~
>7000+/- miles and the rubber is kinda tired. I paid ~$350 back in 87 and got alot of quality miles.
>
>I don't want to gouge my buddy, but I don't want to give it away either!
>
>Anyone willing to give a gratis appraisal on this old beater??!!
>
>Thanks!
>
>Chris Plano, TX

I see such bikes and buy them at garage sales on a regular basis.

1. I would pay no more than $20 if the bike was in reasonably good shape.

2. I would normally tune it up, clean it up and make sure that it was in riding condition with good
tires and such.

3. Normally I would just try to find a home for it but if I were selling it I would ask no
more than $50.

4. Between friends, find out what your friend is "comfortable" paying you for this bike. First know
what you are "comfortable" getting for this bike. It may be that he wants to pay more than you
are willing to take, I find this to be often the case.

Normally that can be worked out quite easily.

Jon Isaacs