Price of electricity for an electric bicycle.

Michael Press

Guest
I have questions, but no answers. Please help. Thanks.

What is the price of electricity at the wall outlet?
Here it is $0.13 to $0.23 /(kilowatt-hour) + 7.5% tax.
Some electric companies have a stepped price schedule
so that the rate increases with total usage.

How efficient is a battery charger? Does 60% of the
energy out of the wall get into the battery?

How much power goes into overcoming rolling resistance
and wind resistance at 15 mph?

How efficient is the electric motor? 80%?

What is the price of electricity from wall outlet to
rubber on the road?

--
Michael Press

"Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have questions, but no answers. Please help. Thanks.
>
> What is the price of electricity at the wall outlet?
> Here it is $0.13 to $0.23 /(kilowatt-hour) + 7.5% tax.
> Some electric companies have a stepped price schedule
> so that the rate increases with total usage.
>
> How efficient is a battery charger? Does 60% of the
> energy out of the wall get into the battery?

What type of batteries?... but thats sounds about right for a ball park

> How much power goes into overcoming rolling resistance
> and wind resistance at 15 mph?

Depends on the type of bike of course.....120W for a ball park
http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

> How efficient is the electric motor? 80%?

Again sounds like a good enough number

> What is the price of electricity from wall outlet to
> rubber on the road?

So 120W at the wheel equals 250W out of the wall.
So if you carry a big enough battery for 4 hours (1kW/hr) it will cost
between $0.13 to $0.23 + 7.5% tax, not bad for a 60 mile trip, of course at
12V that would be a 50Amp/hr battery

In article
<[email protected]>,
"stu" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have questions, but no answers. Please help. Thanks.
> >
> > What is the price of electricity at the wall outlet?
> > Here it is $0.13 to $0.23 /(kilowatt-hour) + 7.5% tax.
> > Some electric companies have a stepped price schedule
> > so that the rate increases with total usage.
> >
> > How efficient is a battery charger? Does 60% of the
> > energy out of the wall get into the battery?

> What type of batteries?... but thats sounds about right for a ball park
>
> > How much power goes into overcoming rolling resistance
> > and wind resistance at 15 mph?

> Depends on the type of bike of course.....120W for a ball park
> http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm
>

> > How efficient is the electric motor? 80%?
> >

> Again sounds like a good enough number
>
> > What is the price of electricity from wall outlet to
> > rubber on the road?
> >

> So 120W at the wheel equals 250W out of the wall.
> So if you carry a big enough battery for 4 hours (1kW/hr) it will cost

1 kW/hr is not a measure of energy. Could this be 1 kW-hr?

> between $0.13 to $0.23 + 7.5% tax, not bad for a 60 mile trip, of course at
> 12V that would be a 50Amp/hr battery

50 Amp-hr @ 12 volt?

Keep your units straight, and they will keep you straight.

--
Michael Press