Prices War?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Duram, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. Duram

    Duram Guest

    Why recumbents are so expensive?
    What are the differences from normal bikes that pull the price up?
    Can it go down in a near future?

    Tags:

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Duram" <[email protected]@ig.com.br> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    :
    : Why recumbents are so expensive?
    : What are the differences from normal bikes that pull the price up?
    : Can it go down in a near future?

    Think about it for a moment.....it's supply and demand. How much demand do
    you think there is for a recumbent versus a mountain bike? In what volume
    do you suppose the mountain bikes are being produced (and purchased) in
    comparison to the recumbent bike? As the number of units made goes up, the
    price would go down, now, wouldn't it?

    These things just aren't that hard to figure out.

    Pat in TX
    :
    :

  3. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "Duram" <[email protected]@ig.com.br> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Why recumbents are so expensive?
    > What are the differences from normal bikes that pull the price up?
    > Can it go down in a near future?

    I asked these very same questions 25 years ago when I was first getting into
    recumbents. The answers are the same now as they were then. Basically, it
    boils down to the fact that no one wants these kind of bikes. Therefore, the
    few of us who do want them have to pay an arm and a leg for them. Others on
    this group will give you all kinds of details on why this is so. But the
    bottom line is that the damn things are as expensive now as they were 25
    years ago, maybe even more so.

    --
    Regards,

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  4. "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message\
    But the
    > bottom line is that the damn things are as expensive now as they were 25
    > years ago, maybe even more so.

    Actually, the dollar is worth about half what it was years back, so
    prices staying the same for bents means they are less. I don't know
    about 2 wheel bents, but trikes have fallen with WizWheels, Catrike,
    and Sun (certain model of each, of course).

    It is a shame that more people don't see beyond their nose and have
    not prepared for low cost transportation before or during the time
    that big oil made people dependent on higher prices overall. Gas
    prices go up; human power vehicles costs get lower.

    Chris Jordan
    Santa Cruz, CA.

  5. "Duram" <[email protected]@ig.com.br> writes:

    > Why recumbents are so expensive?
    > What are the differences from normal bikes that pull the price up?

    - Recumbents are usually made in countries with high labour costs (US,
    Europe) and involve a fair amount of labour. Other bikes are churned out
    in their hundreds of thousands in Taiwanese or Chinese factories

    - Recumbent specific costs push up the prices.

    - Recumbent manufactures have R&D costs: regular bikes just mix and
    match from the Shimano and paint manufactures catalogues.

    > Can it go down in a near future?

    They are doing, but *slowly* !!

    --
    Simon Kellett, Darmstadt, Germany | http://home.arcor.de/zoxed
    Hase Kettwiesel trike | ex-Pashley PDQ SWB

  6. Duram

    Duram Guest

    What about marketing? can it increase sales? drop prices?
    Here in Brazil we have a plant www.zohrer.com.br
    but prices are still high and they say the cause is the low production rate.
    as not many people buy it as the normal bikes.

    Brazil has a large amount of different kinds of bikes-trikes
    made for stores and markets deliver shopping, but recumbents is not in
    the list of the kind of bike to increase production and drop prices, why is
    that
    all over the world? even china don´t produce them right? let´s change that?

    I just saw in a German TV channel DW about a bike race between San Diego and
    Atlantic City,
    no recumbent were used, why is that? many runners gave up during the trip,
    if there were
    using recumbents how many might gave up comparing to normal mountain bikes?
    why not used those sports competitions ( Tour the France! too) to show
    people
    what new and best in recumbent and marketing, maybe that can increase sales
    and
    drop proces.

    news:[email protected]

  7. On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:19:36 -0300, "Duram" <[email protected]@ig.com.br> wrote:

    >Brazil has a large amount of different kinds of bikes-trikes
    >made for stores and markets deliver shopping, but recumbents is not in
    >the list of the kind of bike to increase production and drop prices, why is
    >that
    >all over the world? even china don´t produce them right? let´s change that?
    >
    >I just saw in a German TV channel DW about a bike race between San Diego and
    >Atlantic City,
    >no recumbent were used, why is that? many runners gave up during the trip,
    >if there were
    >using recumbents how many might gave up comparing to normal mountain bikes?
    >why not used those sports competitions ( Tour the France! too) to show
    >people
    >what new and best in recumbent and marketing, maybe that can increase sales
    >and
    >drop proces.

    You begin with a production level that precludes getting the best
    prices for components from Shimano or others. THese levels also
    preclude getting the best setups on frames (Columbus can deliver more
    quality frame sets to a large custom builder almost ready for the jig
    than most recumbent manufacturers make in a year). Factor in items
    that are by their nature more expensive (seats).

    You then feed it to a distribution system that prefers large
    quantities as well. You can't force the level up as that means having
    a significant percentage of bikes sitting in bike shops that can't or
    won't sell them either before or after the customer gets through the
    door. In most cases, the manufacturer carries the costs of the bike
    until it is sold or returned. Those great deals you get every year
    when a model changes start with the negotiations between bike shop and
    the manufacturer that doesn't want it back. That's also why they
    prefer reputable bike shops - shops that won't butcher tomorrow's
    sales by trying to dump this year's model.

    The risk in returns or no sales means that financing is more difficult
    and that means more expensive - any recumbent manufacturer that
    doesn't have a significant reserve for unsold bikes and/or doubtful
    accounts is probably misreporting their income. So the means to
    finance a major sales attempt puts the source and risk with the
    owners. And it courts financial failure at that point of attempting a
    significant attempt at grabbing market share.

    Recumbents AFAIK have completed the RAAM more than once. Team ALS
    Lightning finished last year in an extremely respectable time.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  8. "Duram" <[email protected]@ig.com.br> writes:

    > I just saw in a German TV channel DW about a bike race between San
    > Diego and Atlantic City, no recumbent were used, why is that? many
    > runners gave up during the trip, if there were using recumbents how
    > many might gave up comparing to normal mountain bikes? why not used
    > those sports competitions ( Tour the France! too)

    Most cycle racing worldwide is run under UCI (www.uci.ch) rules: they
    banned recumbents in the 1930s, and still do.

    --
    Simon Kellett, Darmstadt, Germany | http://home.arcor.de/zoxed
    Hase Kettwiesel trike | ex-Pashley PDQ SWB
    Flux V220 CLWB | Zox20 Lowracer

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Duram wrote:

    > Why recumbents are so expensive?
    > What are the differences from normal bikes that pull the price up?
    > Can it go down in a near future?

    Recumbents are normal - deviants ride uprights. ;)

    --
    Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant