Primary School - no cars, they walk or cycle

Geoff Lane

Guest
I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school. This wasn't in a sleepy rural hollow either - it was in a large
town or city. However, I haven't been able to find the article since. Has
anyone got a link to this? (I do hope I wasn't dreaming!)

--
Geoff

Geoff Lane wrote:
> I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
> achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
> school. This wasn't in a sleepy rural hollow either - it was in a large
> town or city. However, I haven't been able to find the article since. Has
> anyone got a link to this? (I do hope I wasn't dreaming!)

It might be related to this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/learningcurve.shtml

Bob

On Sep 19, 12:11 pm, Geoff Lane <[email protected]> wrote:
> That looks like it - thanks! The school quoted in that piece - New City
> Primary School in Newham, East London - fits the bill very well and shows
> that it can be done, even at primary school age.

Sustrans has an excellent programme called 'Bike It' to encourage
cycling to school, principally in urban areas:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1102425335218

Richard

Geoff Lane wrote:

>That looks like it - thanks! The school quoted in that piece - New City
>Primary School in Newham, East London - fits the bill very well and shows
>that it can be done, even at primary school age.

It's even more impressive given the state of the road surface on New
City Road...

--
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live.
-- Mark Twain, /Taming the Bicycle/

Geoff Lane <[email protected]> wrote:

> I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
> achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
> school. This wasn't in a sleepy rural hollow either - it was in a large
> town or city. However, I haven't been able to find the article since. Has
> anyone got a link to this? (I do hope I wasn't dreaming!)

be easyer in a urban place, a rual school's catchment area will cover a
greater distance.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Geoff Lane wrote:

> I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
> achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
> school.

What about the teachers?

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:49:51 +0100, JNugent
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Geoff Lane wrote:
>
>> I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
>> achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
>> school.

>What about the teachers?

Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

Marc Brett wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Geoff Lane wrote:

>>>I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
>>>achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
>>>school.

>>What about the teachers?

> Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
> who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

It is teachers, other school staff and term-time parents released from
school-holiday-absence from their jobs who make most of the traffic
difference between term-time and holiday-time. That means that
castigating those involved in the "school run" is almost pointless.
The difference cannot be ironed out, even if some foolish people think
it can be.

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:28:33 +0100, JNugent
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Marc Brett wrote:
>
>> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>What about the teachers?

>> Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
>> who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

>It is teachers, other school staff and term-time parents released from
>school-holiday-absence from their jobs who make most of the traffic
>difference between term-time and holiday-time.

An interesting assertion. References?

Marc Brett wrote:

> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Marc Brett wrote:

>>>Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
>>>who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

>>It is teachers, other school staff and term-time parents released from
>>school-holiday-absence from their jobs who make most of the traffic
>>difference between term-time and holiday-time.

> An interesting assertion. References?

Does it need proof?

Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
dropping-off and picking-up time.

Can you not see that all those people (as well as parents taking their
children taking to school - by whatever mode) travel in the rush hour
during term-time but do not do so during school holidays and half-term?

Surely your place of work must have several "term-time-only" workers?
I'd have thought most places have them in abundance nowadays. Not all
of them even need be physically taking their children to school, but
at least they aren't going to work.

JNugent said the following on 20/09/2007 09:02:

> Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
> noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
> times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
> dropping-off and picking-up time.

It isn't just the SE. Anyone who uses the roads just about anywhere in
the country will see the effect during school holidays for themselves.
It doesn't need some statisticians to spend time and money to come up
with what we can see with our own eyes.

Some people here seem to only accept things if some civil service
department somewhere has come up with a set of statistics, rather than
just opening their own eyes and seeing for themselves. The cry "Do you
have proof/references?" comes up on this group often (and only this
group, of all the various usenet and email groups I'm subscribed to).

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Geoff Lane wrote:
> I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
> achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
> school. This wasn't in a sleepy rural hollow either - it was in a large
> town or city.

It'd have to be in an urban area.

My schools (I'm caretaker at both an Infants and Junior school) have
catchment areas that cover large areas of rural land with some pupils
travelling 11 miles.

Admittedly the majority travel less than three miles, but maybe 25/30%
travel more than five miles.

--
Paul - *** (mobile)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:02:39 +0100,
JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marc Brett wrote:
>
>> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:

>>>It is teachers, other school staff and term-time parents released from
>>>school-holiday-absence from their jobs who make most of the traffic
>>>difference between term-time and holiday-time.

>> An interesting assertion. References?

> Does it need proof?
>
> Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
> noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
> times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
> dropping-off and picking-up time.
>
> Can you not see that all those people (as well as parents taking their
> children taking to school - by whatever mode) travel in the rush hour
> during term-time but do not do so during school holidays and half-term?

Hmm. Let us consider a primary school of say 300 pupils.

They would have 1 head, 1 admin person, at most 20 teachers and support
staff, maybe a few dinner ladies and a cleaner. Even if all those drove
it still wouldn't be that many. But still quite a problem if the school
has to provide parking places.

Or

A reasonable figure for pupils getting to school by car is 40% (although
some schools do very well and have a much lower figure). Obviously a small
proportion of those will be siblings. So I would say that would be
around 100 cars nearly all of which would be trying to access the same
road at approximately the same time.

I think it is obvious which is the worse problem for congestion. But
I would think that the school should also look at putting together a
travel plan for staff as well as pupils. It would help set a good
example for the kids if they see some of the teachers come in on bikes
or walk. In fact they may well have already done this - I don't know
and I guess you don't know either.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:18:20 +0100, Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet>
wrote:

>JNugent said the following on 20/09/2007 09:02:
>
>> Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
>> noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
>> times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
>> dropping-off and picking-up time.

>It isn't just the SE. Anyone who uses the roads just about anywhere in
>the country will see the effect during school holidays for themselves.
>It doesn't need some statisticians to spend time and money to come up
>with what we can see with our own eyes.

There's no doubt about this. But is it the case that /most/ of the
increase in traffic in the morning commute is made up of this
population, and that school runs constitute only a minor proportion?
This is JN's assertion, which sounds extraordinary to me.

>Some people here seem to only accept things if some civil service
>department somewhere has come up with a set of statistics, rather than
>just opening their own eyes and seeing for themselves. The cry "Do you
>have proof/references?" comes up on this group often (and only this
>group, of all the various usenet and email groups I'm subscribed to).

Maybe this group has all too much experience in suffering the "common
sense" view that a certain cycling accessory (or facility) "obviously"
adds to safety, when detailed studies may well show the opposite.

Andy Leighton wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:02:39 +0100,
> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Marc Brett wrote:

>>>An interesting assertion. References?

>>Does it need proof?
>>
>>Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
>>noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
>>times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
>>dropping-off and picking-up time.
>>
>>Can you not see that all those people (as well as parents taking their
>>children taking to school - by whatever mode) travel in the rush hour
>>during term-time but do not do so during school holidays and half-term?

> Hmm. Let us consider a primary school of say 300 pupils.

> They would have 1 head, 1 admin person, at most 20 teachers and support
> staff, maybe a few dinner ladies and a cleaner. Even if all those drove
> it still wouldn't be that many. But still quite a problem if the school
> has to provide parking places.

> Or

> A reasonable figure for pupils getting to school by car is 40% (although
> some schools do very well and have a much lower figure). Obviously a small
> proportion of those will be siblings. So I would say that would be
> around 100 cars nearly all of which would be trying to access the same
> road at approximately the same time.

But not at 07:00, at which time (on a weekday) even during half-term
in autumn, the traffic is noticeably lighter than it is at the same
time on, say, a Tuesday in early October. The same goes for 17:45 or
even (in the SE) 19:00. That part of the difference is caused by
parents not going to work at those times of the year - not by "the
school run" (which I admit is an easy target, but just not the correct
one). And it is that part of the difference which indicates that there
is something bigger than just the "school run" going on during
term-time. The effect is even bigger during the peak summer months
when hundreds of thousands are not at their desks for stretches of two
or three weeks at a time.

> I think it is obvious which is the worse problem for congestion. But
> I would think that the school should also look at putting together a
> travel plan for staff as well as pupils. It would help set a good
> example for the kids if they see some of the teachers come in on bikes
> or walk. In fact they may well have already done this - I don't know
> and I guess you don't know either.

You have forgotten those parents (mainly mothers) who, even though
they may rarely go near the school at all - perhaps their children
even walk or cycle to school - go to work during term-time and do not
go to work during school holidays. That's what makes the difference
outside the (rather narrow) "school run" times.

Making repeatable observations and drawing up hypotheses as to the
causes of observed phenomena is the best way of doing things,
followed, of course, by proper empirical research before making hasty
- but convenient - decisions about who or what is to "blame".

Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
> It isn't just the SE. Anyone who uses the roads just about anywhere in
> the country will see the effect during school holidays for themselves.

Aye, back to gridlock in Worle High Street again yesterday at ten to four.
Noticeable increase in large SUVs and people carriers driven by women with
one or two child passengers.

> [...] The cry "Do you
> have proof/references?" comes up on this group often (and only this
> group, of all the various usenet and email groups I'm subscribed to).

Well, that's reasonable. The above isn't conclusive, but is suggestive,
so let's try a ban and measure the change.

Kewstoke traffic scheme consultation, next Monday, 3pm-9pm, Village Hall.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html tel:+844-4437-237 -

Marc Brett wrote:

> Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:
>>JNugent said the following on 20/09/2007 09:02:

>>>Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
>>>noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
>>>times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
>>>dropping-off and picking-up time.

>>It isn't just the SE. Anyone who uses the roads just about anywhere in
>>the country will see the effect during school holidays for themselves.
>>It doesn't need some statisticians to spend time and money to come up
>>with what we can see with our own eyes.

> There's no doubt about this. But is it the case that /most/ of the
> increase in traffic in the morning commute is made up of this
> population, and that school runs constitute only a minor proportion?
> This is JN's assertion, which sounds extraordinary to me.

Nothing extraordinary about it at all ("this population" including
parents who work term-time but not during school holidays). It is the
only hypothesis which fits the observed facts (see the reply to
another poster).

What else do you say could account for the traffic level differences
two hours (or more) away from school arrival and departure times, even
outside peak package holiday periods?

I don't think many of us believe that significant numbers of children
or teachers have a two hour driven-commute to school, so there has to
be another factor at work.

Andy Leighton wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:02:39 +0100,
> JNugent <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Marc Brett wrote:

>>> An interesting assertion. References?

>> Does it need proof?
>>
>> Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
>> noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
>> times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
>> dropping-off and picking-up time.
>>
>> Can you not see that all those people (as well as parents taking their
>> children taking to school - by whatever mode) travel in the rush hour
>> during term-time but do not do so during school holidays and half-term?

> Hmm. Let us consider a primary school of say 300 pupils.
>
> They would have 1 head, 1 admin person, at most 20 teachers and support
> staff, maybe a few dinner ladies and a cleaner. Even if all those drove
> it still wouldn't be that many. But still quite a problem if the school
> has to provide parking places.

As an example take my Junior school. 297 pupils, I head, 2 admin, 9
class teachers, 23 LSA/School support staff, 1 SEN, 6 lunch supervisors,
5 kitchen staff inc cook, 5 cleaning staff, 1 caretaker(me). Some of
whom are part-time and not all work at the same time.

Out of all those only four walk to work, yet only two live more than 3
miles away. 3 use bicycles. The rest use their cars, none car-share.
All teachers, admin staff and LSA's use their cars.

Similarly at my Infant school, 275 pupils, 1 head, 2 admin, 10 class
teachers, dunno exactly LSA's etc as it changes frequently but the
school 'staff picture board' has 49 people on it, including me.

Only six walk to work (inc. me), six live more than five miles away, 2
cycle. Rest use cars, only two car-share. Again, all the teachers and
admin staff and most LSA's use their own cars. In addition there's a
Playgroup which has 4 staff, all of whom drive and a Nursery with 7
staff, 1 of whom cycles the rest drive.

* We did a study last year of just this problem as it's exascerbated for
us by having two schools on the same school field area, and accessed
'around the corner' from each other. It was noted that those most
highly paid staff (Teachers) were the only section to solely use cars,
and were the ones most unlikely to give them up, whatever the
alternative offered.

> A reasonable figure for pupils getting to school by car is 40% (although
> some schools do very well and have a much lower figure). Obviously a small
> proportion of those will be siblings. So I would say that would be
> around 100 cars nearly all of which would be trying to access the same
> road at approximately the same time.
>
> I think it is obvious which is the worse problem for congestion. But
> I would think that the school should also look at putting together a
> travel plan for staff as well as pupils. It would help set a good
> example for the kids if they see some of the teachers come in on bikes
> or walk. In fact they may well have already done this - I don't know
> and I guess you don't know either.

Teachers, it was noted, are almost desperate NOT to have to give up
their cars, however good an example it might set. The cleaners and
kitchen staff are the opnly people who use bikes to get to school.
Indeed, Teachers wouldn't even consider giving up their cars. All the
LSA's said they'd consider walking/cycling, with various reasons
(weather, convenience, fitness) being cited both for and against it.

Our big concern recently is that we're shortly to have a 'Community
Health Centre' built which will take up some (more) of the school
grounds, but the architects have promised more car-parking area too ....
We currently use a fair proportion of one side of the school fields for
car-parking. It's a quagmire in winter and I regularly have to bring my
Land-rover to pull cars/delivery trucks out.

Empirical numbers I know, but I think indicative of the problems faced
when trying to educate people into not using their cars. In this case
the educators (teachers) simply don't see any benefits. Indeed when
asked for a benefit/problem balance, they came up with so many problems
with not using their cars it was felt and agreed that the _BEST_
solution was to increase car-parking for staff and make the
entrance/exit gates wider. (We have problems with the gateposts
constantly being hit by female members of staff who have problems
fitting their cars through the gap!)

We are getting a 20 mph limit imposed on all the streets in the area of
the schools, and there are soon to be 'residents only' signs going up on
the most adjacent streets as parental parking is a major problem.
Indeed we close the school gates at 8.20 each moring and 3.15 each
afternoon so parents can't use the car parks to turn around in or drop
their kids off.

--
Paul - *** (mobile)

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:31:56 +0100,
Paul - *** (mobile) <[email protected]> wrote:

>> I think it is obvious which is the worse problem for congestion. But
>> I would think that the school should also look at putting together a
>> travel plan for staff as well as pupils. It would help set a good
>> example for the kids if they see some of the teachers come in on bikes
>> or walk. In fact they may well have already done this - I don't know
>> and I guess you don't know either.

> Teachers, it was noted, are almost desperate NOT to have to give up
> their cars, however good an example it might set. The cleaners and
> kitchen staff are the opnly people who use bikes to get to school.
> Indeed, Teachers wouldn't even consider giving up their cars. All the
> LSA's said they'd consider walking/cycling, with various reasons
> (weather, convenience, fitness) being cited both for and against it.

I think that is quite depressing really. People aren't asking for
everyone to walk or cycle all the time or indeed that it will be
suitable for everyone. But people who don't even consider walking
or cycling a couple of miles seems to be a result of the car being
seen as a status symbol.

I remember when I was at school (much smaller than yours) in the 70s
there were very few teachers who drove in - partly because they wasn't
any parking at the school. As I walk past the same school today there
is a carpark which is full of about 10 cars.