prime rib cooking question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Krystonia5, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Krystonia5

    Krystonia5 Guest

    when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says this is normal and
    necessary for it to turn out good.

    She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists that
    she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later back up
    to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.

    any ideas?

    thanks, Paul

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Krystonia5 wrote:
    > when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says this is normal and
    > necessary for it to turn out good.
    >
    > She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists
    > that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later
    > back up to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks, Paul

    Turn on the overhead vent fan?

    I roast standing rib like this all the time, my house isn't filled with smoke when I do it.

    Jill

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Krystonia5 wrote:
    > when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says this is normal and
    > necessary for it to turn out good.
    >
    > She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists
    > that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later
    > back up to 450 until done.
    meanwhile
    > the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks, Paul

    Clean the oven? Turn on the exhaust fan? Cook it outdoors in a grill?

  4. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Krystonia5 wrote:

    > when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says this is normal and
    > necessary for it to turn out good.
    >
    > She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists
    > that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later
    > back up to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >
    > any ideas?

    Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a center temp of 125 for rare, 130
    med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.

    Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked, more tender and more
    flavorful.

    Pastorio

  5. "Krystonia5" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she
    says
    > this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
    >
    > She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep)
    baking
    > pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees,
    then
    > after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done.
    meanwhile
    > the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks, Paul

    The smoke is mainly from the pan drippings burning or juices and fat spattering on to the inside of
    the oven which also burn. As others have suggested you can lower the temperature or if your oven has
    the facility, lower the botton element power to cool the tray and if required compensate by raising
    the top element power to brown the roast.

    David

  6. Krystonia5 wrote:

    > She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists
    > that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later
    > back up to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >
    > any ideas?

    Try a little deeper pan to contain the splattering. We cook it the same way in the bottom of a
    roasting pan, maybe 3" deep. Any splatter from fat stays in the pan for au jus. No smoke in the
    house and a very nice bark on the medium rare roast. -- Ed [email protected]
    http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

  7. Kenneth

    Kenneth Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:22:25 -0500, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Krystonia5 wrote:
    >
    >> when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says this is normal and
    >> necessary for it to turn out good.
    >>
    >> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists
    >> that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later
    >> back up to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >
    >Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a center temp of 125 for rare, 130
    >med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.
    >
    >Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked, more tender and more
    >flavorful.
    >
    >Pastorio

    And keep some beet juice handy in case some of your guests want "rare", and you only have
    "medium." <g>

    --
    Kenneth

  8. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:102tifht79gqj[email protected]...
    > Krystonia5 wrote:
    >
    > > when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she
    says
    > > this is normal and necessary for it to turn out good.
    > >
    > > She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep)
    baking
    > > pan, and insists that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees,
    then
    > > after a while lowers to 350, then later back up to 450 until done.
    meanwhile
    > > the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    > >
    > > any ideas?
    >
    > Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a center temp of 125 for rare, 130
    > med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.
    >
    > Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked, more tender and more
    > flavorful.
    >
    > Pastorio

    Bob's on the right track but his technique does not give you the lovely browned crust that is an
    essential part of a really good rib roast. My favorite is to brown the roast in a pan on the
    stovetop first and then roast at a low temp as he describes.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  9. Jerry Minasi

    Jerry Minasi Guest

    >>Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a center temp of 125 for rare, 130
    >>med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.
    >>

    >>Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked, more tender and more
    >>flavorful.
    >>
    >>Pastorio
    >
    >And keep some beet juice handy in case some of your guests want "rare", and you only have
    >"medium." <g>

    Start outside on a extremely hot barby or charcoal grill, browning the roast on all sides. This way,
    all the smoke is outside! Then, into the oven set at 225degrees F.(107C). then, as above. to see an
    example, go to: www. clubphoto.com. Enter: [email protected] See "Ginger's Roast beef". Jerry

  10. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:
    >
    >Krystonia5 wrote:
    >
    >> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists
    >> that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later
    >> back up to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >
    >Try a little deeper pan to contain the splattering. We cook it the same way in the bottom of a
    >roasting pan, maybe 3" deep. Any splatter from fat stays in the pan for au jus. No smoke in the
    >house and a very nice bark on the medium rare roast. -- Ed

    Elevate roast with a "V" rack, with about a 1/2" of water in pan - zero smoke - and au jus is
    practically made. An added bonus is that pan and rack are much easier to clean.

  11. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 20:22:25 -0500, Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Krystonia5 wrote:
    >
    >> when my wife cooks prime rib, it fills the whole house with smoke. she says this is normal and
    >> necessary for it to turn out good.
    >>
    >> She cooks it in a shallow (sometimes 1/4" deep, sometimes 1 1/2" deep) baking pan, and insists
    >> that she can't cover it. She starts at 500 degrees, then after a while lowers to 350, then later
    >> back up to 450 until done. meanwhile the whole time it spits fat and the house fills with smoke.
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >
    >Low-temperature roast like restaurants do it. Roast at 220F to a center temp of 125 for rare, 130
    >med-rare, 140 medium. Pull and let rest for 20-30 minutes. Carve.
    >
    >Start to finish, one temp. It will be more moist, more evenly cooked, more tender and more
    >flavorful.
    >
    >Pastorio

    I second this!

    If you want it browned, you have to do that first, in a skillet, but then the roasting at the low
    temp (I do 250 degrees f) is wonderful!

    It works and it turns out the best!