Prince Harry shipping out!!!

davidmc

Jun 23, 2004
Third in line to British throne could be first royal to see combat in 25 years
LONDON - Prince Harry, third in line to the British throne, will be deployed to Iraq, the Ministry of Defense said Thursday.

His regiment, the Blues and Royals, is expected to deploy to Iraq this spring, and he could become the first royal to see combat since his uncle, Prince Andrew, served in the Falklands war against Argentina in 1982.

Harry — a second lieutenant — has expressed his desire to serve alongside his comrades in Iraq, saying that there was “no way” he was going to undergo rigorous training and then stay away from the battlefield. He graduated last year from Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst.
what are your thoughts :confused:

the politicos stateside, whilst letting despot bush have his way to wreak a trail of havoc, fight like hell to keep their privileged kids the out of anything remotely military.

sending harry off, albeit for (hopefully) low risk duty, flies in the face of this policy of poverty draft the us so hypocritically relies on for its' escalation, er, wait, per the latest jingoism, "surge".

davidmc said:
what are your thoughts :confused:

willocrew said:
Very good move on the part of the monarchy... very good
I think it is a good move as he will be doing what most of the others in the U.K.'s military are doing. I beleive he will be commanding two artillery vehicles w/ crew :confused:

It's a horrible idea and a very selfish act. His unit now will be a target for the enemy.. I would not want to be near him...
Nothing but a publicity stunt by someone.

wolfix said:
It's a horrible idea and a very selfish act. His unit now will be a target for the enemy.. I would not want to be near him...
Nothing but a publicity stunt by someone.
On the contrary. The Prince, as others before him, will have to see action of some sort, no :confused: I'm sure his unit will be non-descript so as not to draw attn to themselves.

davidmc said:
On the contrary. The Prince, as others before him, will have to see action of some sort, no :confused: I'm sure his unit will be non-descript so as not to draw attn to themselves.
With what is going on, he will be considered a trophy. His unit will be put at a much higher risk then without him. In a war with defined battle lines it might be a different story. But with suicidal bombers a common thing....... I just see it as selfish.
They will not be able to blend him in. The press will be all over it. The press would not care if it endangered a soldiers life to get a story. { That is why whenever a journalist gets kidnapped..... well, I don't really think....]

wolfix said:
With what is going on, he will be considered a trophy. His unit will be put at a much higher risk then without him. In a war with defined battle lines it might be a different story. But with suicidal bombers a common thing....... I just see it as selfish.
They will not be able to blend him in. The press will be all over it. The press would not care if it endangered a soldiers life to get a story. { That is why whenever a journalist gets kidnapped..... well, I don't really think....]
Perhaps you are right. I shudder to think of the implications if he were...say...captured. What would the Queen do :confused: How do you think the U.K. citizenry would react however if he were given "a pass", as it were, in this conflict & not req'd to go :confused:

wolfix said:
Prince Andrew fought in the Falklands war and Prince Phillip fought in WWll.
The British Royal family still has some sense of leading by example.

stevebaby said:
I rememeber the "Terrible Seige of the Falklands." Damn bloody episode in the history of GB..... Kinda comparable to the battles that Ronald and Nancy Reagan fought in the "War on Drugs."

Harry is O.K. He's a real down-to-earth guy. However, I'd sooner see Blair and his pal Bush go into action and fight their own war seeing as they're both in favour of these kinds of conflicts.

wolfix said:
I rememeber the "Terrible Seige of the Falklands." Damn bloody episode in the history of GB..... Kinda comparable to the battles that Ronald and Nancy Reagan fought in the "War on Drugs."
More British soldiers died in the Falklands than Gulf War 1,Gulf war 2 and Afghanistan combined.

stevebaby said:

That's exactly the point I was going to make.

The Royal Family, loath 'em or love 'em, have a long history of enlisting.
The current generation - Charles, Andrew - enlisted.
Harry and William have done so as well.

The fact that he's going to Iraq, as you point out, follows, what his uncle and his grandfather and forefathers all did as well.

Prince Andrew flew a helicopter as a decoy for exocet missiles.
George Vl as Prince Albert fought in the battle of Jutland, a pretty bloody encounter.
I wonder what George ll of America says to his kids when they ask 'What did you do in the war daddy?'

stevebaby said:
George Vl as Prince Albert fought in the battle of Jutland, a pretty bloody encounter.
I wonder what George ll of America says to his kids when they ask 'What did you do in the war daddy?'

He can't remember - he was ****** at the time.

stevebaby said:
I was trying to think of the name of the Queen's partner's appellation-Prince-Phillip because I remembered that pic's I see of him show him in a military uniform. I didn't mention him because I wasn't sure of his appellation.

limerickman said:
He can't remember - he was ****** at the time.
Yes, this errr..."bunch", doesn't have any vets' in W's inner-circle of "yes-men" hence the term-"chicken-hawks" Lots of talk, little experience & it is translating into frequent policy blunders. However, these blunders may lead to multi-party talks inre:the region.

davidmc said:
Yes, this errr..."bunch", doesn't have any vets' in W's inner-circle of "yes-men" hence the term-"chicken-hawks" Lots of talk, little experience & it is translating into frequent policy blunders. However, these blunders may lead to multi-party talks inre:the region.

The only current international politician of power who has served in combat is ....................Jacques Chirac.

Chirac fought in the Algerian war.

I think that you have hit on a good point.

You guys can rest assured that our guy will still get out there in front and...ride his bike :rolleyes:

stevebaby said:
"I had the most important job of all, son, I started it."