Pro Average Speed + Distance

mcgr

Aug 11, 2007
What are pros average speed and for how far? What level would I need to approach to become professional? And finally what do they ride in the tour de france.

Thanks

mcgr said:
What are pros average speed and for how far? What level would I need to approach to become professional? And finally what do they ride in the tour de france.

Thanks
I dunno, i'd say the pro's average 42+ kmph on the grand tours, for 200km per day for 3 weeks.

mcgr...don't be getting ahead of yourself. Try to enjoy your cycling, if you want to cycle JUST to become a pro, you won't get there. As limerickman said in an earlier thread, join a local bike club, and try have fun. Then you'll discover yourself whether you have it in you to be as good as the pros.

What can a Ducati do?

A Suzuki GSX?

A Porche?

A cyclist w/o drugs
Just steroids?
Steroids, insulin and EPO?
Steroids, insulin, EPO, RSR-13, cow blood cells?
Steroids, insulin, EPO, corticoids, cow blood and Pot Belge?

The answer to your question is dependent on how unethical you are.

mcgr said:

Thanks

Dr.H leave mcgr alone.
He is a young guy looking to get into and enjoy cycle racing.
He has to start somewhere and hopefully he will race, enjoy and improve.
If he has aspirations of getting to pro level then all well and good.

Your ******** is not helpful and is not welcome!

Trev_S said:
Dr.H leave mcgr alone.

Agreed leave him alone and stay out of his threads.....pick on me.....

Trev_S said:
Dr.H leave mcgr alone.

Fat chance on that. Dr.House trolls every thread with his ****.

mcgr said:

Thanks
Well, first off there are diff. types of pros. For example:

1. Sprinters (e.g. Robbie McEwen)
2. Time Trialists (e.g. Bradley Wiggins)
3. Mountain Climbers (e.g. Michael Rasmussen)

Then there are the all arounders like Lance. Each is diff. in capabilities.

The second thing is that there's the speed they can do on flat ground for, say, 100 miles which is amazing but probably not that far diff. from the top amateurs. HOWEVER, the mountains is where the top guys just blow it out of the water. Example: Lance rode the Col de Maradonna (8 mile long, more than 8%) in 30 minutes 27 seconds. That's 16 mph, up an 8% gradient! So the area where these guys just blow the door off normal cyclists, or even top amateurs, is on climbing.

So if you had 100 miles with three hors category climbs, the pros would destroy everyone by a greater margin than on a flat 100.

I may save a life.

You sir are a fraud and drug cheating apologist.

You are a BS meister. Cow blood dopermeister.

Trev_S said:
Dr.H leave mcgr alone.

Lance is NOT an all rounder. He is a Nike endorsed cow blood doper cheat.

A fraud.

Like Michael Vick or Marion Jones.

donrhummy said:
Well, first off there are diff. types of pros. For example:

1. Sprinters (e.g. Robbie McEwen)
2. Time Trialists (e.g. Bradley Wiggins)
3. Mountain Climbers (e.g. Michael Rasmussen)

Then there are the all arounders like Lance. Each is diff. in capabilities.

The second thing is that there's the speed they can do on flat ground for, say, 100 miles which is amazing but probably not that far diff. from the top amateurs. HOWEVER, the mountains is where the top guys just blow it out of the water. Example: Lance rode the Col de Maradonna (8 mile long, more than 8%) in 30 minutes 27 seconds. That's 16 mph, up an 8% gradient! So the area where these guys just blow the door off normal cyclists, or even top amateurs, is on climbing.

So if you had 100 miles with three hors category climbs, the pros would destroy everyone by a greater margin than on a flat 100.

Doctor.House said:
I may save a life.
So are you suggesting that nobody should ever take up cycle racing,
from club level to pro ranks?
Did I read on another post were it was claimed you have or do coach young riders?
If thats correct it's a little hypocritical don't you think.

mcgr said:

Thanks

The first objective for you is to see if you can race at local level before worrying about the speed of the professional peloton.

I think I suggested to you on another thread that you need to join a local club and ride there and try to get placed in races.
That's the first objective which you need to achieve.

Trev_S said:
Dr.H leave mcgr alone.

I get the feeling that mcgr is full of **** anyway... posting ******** threads like this to get us all going.... we are being taken for a ride and not on a bike.......

whiteboytrash said:
I get the feeling that mcgr is full of **** anyway... posting ******** threads like this to get us all going.... we are being taken for a ride and not on a bike.......
I am a six month old baby looking to break into the big league of cycling - which team should I ride for WBT? I'm scared of needles, so I guess that rules out Astana?

whiteboytrash said:
Nah! because he messaged me earlier to ask about some clubs.
So I figure he is legit, just young and naive.

Nobody should inject cow blood and chemo drusg to race professionally.

Where is the hypocrisy?

Grow up little Trev.

Trev_S said:
So are you suggesting that nobody should ever take up cycle racing,
from club level to pro ranks?
Did I read on another post were it was claimed you have or do coach young riders?
If thats correct it's a little hypocritical don't you think.

Andrija said:
Where's that Col? In Argentina? Check again the name of the climb.
Are you sure about this?
Whoops, i meant to write Madone!

And yes, 8 miles in 30 minutes is 16mph.

mcgr said:

Thanks
Oh, and for a TT, Lance won a 58 kilometer time trial (that's 36 miles) at a speed of 53.896 kph, or 33.48 mph. So he rode for just over an hour at 33.5 mph (and there were some small hills in there). I don't think I could do 10 minutes at 33.5 mph on a flat.