Pro cycling

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by sparknote_s, Oct 22, 2004.

1. sparknote_s

sparknote_s New Member

Two questions about pro cycling:

1) What makes all the Europeans so much better than Americans at cycling? I know it's more popular in their culture, but what I mean is...can the average European pro hold a higher avg speed for a longer time, are there just so many more of them, do they have better tactics, more drug usage, what is it about them that makes them better? I hear people say how much better the euros are than Americans.

2) What is a pro cyclists life like? Any interviews from a pro, or anything like that anyone could provide? Not somebody like Lance Amrstrong, just someone who's main income is cycling. Do they have fun like beer, party, friends, etc or is it cycle carb count and cycle etc?

Tags:

2. Virenque

Virenque New Member

1) I think it just looks like that because there are a lot more riders in Europe than in America! Americans have Rodriguez, Vandevelde, Horner, ...; Europeans have 100 as good riders because the popularity and history of the sport! There is no natural physical difference between Europeans and Americans so I don`t know if there is any other explanation!

2) Of course they have all that! It doesn`t damage you if you enjoy all that in normal limits and at right time! Lance has/does all that, I don`t know why others won`t have/do it! Hehe cyclists are not sectarians, or how would I say!:D

3. velomanct

velomanct New Member

Ask cipo how racing in the US was at the tour de georgia. He did NOT like the finishing circuits, too hard for him.
    The US guys are just as good as the european guys, on average, in shorter criterium style races.
    The US guys are not as good in the long road events because we simply don't have long road races here. How many 140mile road races are there in the US?
    Cycling in europe is like any ball sport in the US, popular.

4. JohnO

JohnO New Member

People ride bikes a lot more in Europe than they do over here. Partially because there is more opportunity - more cyclists on the road, more cycling friendly roads and motorists, mass transit that accomodates cycle storage, that sort of thing. And partially for economic reasons - gasoline is priced like sin over there.

They are no better than us at cycling, they just do it a lot more.

5. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

Take basketball for example, it used to be in the US that we would win every Olympics just because we put so much emphasis on basketball. Now the rest of the world plays more, has alot of players in the NBA and their are alot of other pro leagues.
    If the rest of the world would put more emphasis on cycling I think they would produce riders as good as the Europeans. This is easier said than done since first you have to get all the fans outside of Europe crazy about cycling.

6. Serbian_SPIRIT

Serbian_SPIRIT New Member

Amstrong is American. Maybe because the bigest race's are in Europe (Ture de France, Ciro di Italia, Espania).

7. TeamPlayers

TeamPlayers New Member

I wouldnt go so far as to say Europeans are better than Americans but I will say they ride a hell of alot more than Americans. They also dont have 10,000 fast food chains in every town:D. Plus alot more people care about riders. Just the other day I was going through a busy intersection and cars actually stopped for me. Back home I would have to try to keep up with traffic as if I was a car.

8. FredC

FredC New Member

There is no reason why Americans can't be as good as Europeans at bike racing, It's just a matter of application. I don't know anything about club life in USA.
    There is one thing for sure in western europe and that is that cycling is in decline in the traditional countries. My prediction is for the eastern bloc countries to take a higher profile in future years. It's all down to socio-economics.

9. Virenque

Virenque New Member

Yes, that`s it! I totally agree!

10. donhix1

donhix1 New Member

What about China though, they have more bicycles than anyone else?

11. FredC

FredC New Member

So they have, and they won a lot of medals at the Olympics at other sports. The sleeping giant is coming out of its slumber. Hey listen you clowns out there. ChangChung province make all the carbon frames for various people. you can get one for about $100 US, any colour you want. Fancy a ColnagoC50 sales coup of the century. Well done Ernesto.