Pro Falcon Saddle Or Sella Italia: Any Thoughts?

Mengtian

Jun 3, 2015
http://www.amazon.com/PRO-Falcon-Bicycle-Saddle-Black/dp/B00G8PXGQ6/ref=sr_1_1?&ie=UTF8&qid=1434418035&sr=8-1&keywords=pro+falcon+saddle

31I10BjhGWL.jpg

Thinking about that one or this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Selle-Italia-Saddle-Black-145mm/dp/B005QG4A9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434418321&sr=8-1&keywords=selle+italia+max+slr+gel+flow

51lPbB3YOfL._SL1000_.jpg

You're looking at two very different saddles here. The Pro is flat, minimally padded, and available in two widths, 132 mm and 142 mm. The Selle Italia is only available in the wider 145 mm, is more thickly and softly padded, is 65 g heavier. Both are flat hand have cutouts.

Selle Itiala has been making excellent saddles for decades, and while I have my favorites, I don't think they've ever made a dud. Pro is a younger components company that's been associated with Shimano for a few years and has recently been fully acquired. While I haven't tried their saddles, I'll say their handlebars and stems are excellent.

Between the two, if you're fit and you have an athletic low posture on the bike, go for the Pro. If you're sit more upright or your posterior is carrying more padding, go for the Selle Italia.

Even better, see if you can try out some saddles at a local dealer, or look at what you're sitting on now, and identify what you like and dislike about it.

Reactions: Mengtian
It should be noted that the 'standard' width for the SLR line of saddles is 131 MM as they are the (kind of) replacement model for the once narrow/131 MM Flite models.

The same model as the 'Max' 145 MM width is available in 131 MM width as just the plain old "SLR FLOW' edition at 170 grams. And by 'same model, the 131 MM SLR FLOW does have less padding than the Max version. The Max has gel padding, which the standard version is designed without and the Max. version also has the shock absorbing interface between the rails and the shell.

The Pro Falcon also has some form of shock absorbing in its design features. As much of a fan as I am of hard, thinly padded, light and stiff racing saddles I will say that the Douglas "Bootie Luv" (could they have chosen a more gay name?!) with shock absorbers at the back of the saddle shell/rails was one of the most comfortable saddles I've ridden in 45 years over our rough roads.

Quote by OBC:
"Selle Itiala has been making excellent saddles for decades, and while I have my favorites, I don't think they've ever made a dud."

Pretty much this, but why in the name of all that is holy did they widen out the Flite line of saddles??? I'm buying up NOS Flites in 131 width like there's no tomorrow. Because when it comes to the new Flites...145 MM is the new tomorrow.

CAMPYBOB said:
Pretty much this, but why in the name of all that is holy did they widen out the Flite line of saddles??? I'm buying up NOS Flites in 131 width like there's no tomorrow. Because when it comes to the new Flites...145 MM is the new tomorrow.
I hadn't looked at their catalog for a while. 145 mm hasn't raised my hackles because I've been pretty happy with it, a Turbo on my commuter, a 1990 Flite on my old Masi, and a 138 mm Bontrager on my Madone. I guess Selle Italia figures if you want 131 mm, you should get an SLR.

Yes, the SLR line seems to be the Flite's replacement and I will snag one to try when my supply of 131 MM Flite's is depleted.

I like that Bontrager offers most of their line in 128, 138 and 148 MM widths. I'm also on a Paradigm R1 in 138 and very happy with it. I would like to try the 128 MM width just to see if it feels closer to the old Flite's.

this is an impossible question to answer, everyones butt is different, so to say that one or this one will work better for you is just a 50% chance I would be right. Amazon has a good return policy so order the one you think you would like and try it. If you can measure your sit bones by sitting on a 2 to 4 inch piece of styrofoam butt naked for best results, allow yourself to settle into the styrofoam, get up and you should see two small indentations, measure those from center to center and that will tell you how wide of a saddle to get.