Pro-Lite Merano vs Reynolds Shadow wheelset opinions

hardpenor

May 22, 2005
Hi

Which are better? They are similar price and weight. Both hand-built. Anyone using it? Are you satisfied?

Here's Merano:
http://www.pro-lite.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=58

I can't find Shadows on Reynolds website, but cyclingexpress has some info:
http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/reynolds-shadow-clincher-wheelset-shimano.aspx

Can you recommend other wheels up to $350?

Originally Posted by hardpenor .

Hi

I'm about to buy these wheels. Anyone using it? Are you satisfied?
http://www.pro-lite.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=58
Hi hardpenor, I use the Pro-Lite Bracciano Wheelset ... http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=19 ... these are very good, strong, lightish (1480 gms), wheels. The road tests showed these to be nearly as good as Fulcrum Racing Zeros and preferred to Mavic Cosmics,

The Merano Wheelset ... http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=82 ... that you are thinking of look like a good solid, aero, training wheelset (1670 gms). .Description is
  • This is a heavy duty racing and training wheelset, if you feel that our Bracciano is a little too light for you than this is the next best thing, you're getting a little deeper rim, a little heavier gauge spokes with a little additional weight. We are happy to recommend this wheelset for riders up to 100kg in weight.
The Bracciano Wheelset will handle heavier riders even though they are lighter, according to the Importer. Looking at both wheelsets, if you can afford a little more, the Bracciano is definitely a superior wheelset, although there is nothing wrong with the Merano wheelset. The Bracciano use a less wide, stronger, and more aero spoke (I believe that the spokes are Swedish made), spokes that you would expect to see with a Pinarello build.

Hi hardpenor, I stated above that they were using Swedish made spokes for the Bracciano Wheelset, but I do not think that they are any more. The spokes used are now [SIZE= x-small]"PRO-LITE 2.2mm double butted stainless steel aero spokes"[/SIZE], but they appear to be using the same hubs, but the weight has increased by 40gms???

TBH, I really cannot comment on this wheelset now that spokes have changed. The new spokes may not be as strong or tensioned a strongly. Difference here can completely change the characteristics of the wheelset, such as lateral stiiffness, weight carrying, feel and ride, responsiveness ...

Thank's for reply. Unfortunetly I can't afford Bracciano. However I found similar Reynolds Shadow (look first post).
They are a bit lighter and have DT Competitions spokes. I also think Reynolds is better known company than Pro-Lite.

Hi hardpenor, that's quite tricky. You changed the title and edited your first post after I replied :)

Either will be fine. But Is the Reynolds a 4 bearing rear hub and are they sealed or cone and bearing (the url does not indicate this). Hub quality is important. Actually for an extra $65 you could buy the Bracciano's and even better have something like this built ...

Build to handle upto a 95kg (maybe 100kg) person:
Stan's 340 Alpha Rims (24H front and 28H rear)
Bikehubstore.com Superlight Hubs
Sapim CX-Ray Spokes (very nice spokes, strong & light)
Brass Nipples

Total weight: 1230 grams. More weight could obviously be saved using a 20H/28H spoke arrangement.
Total cost: about $502. This includes all shipping, labor and tax.

I know this is more than $350, but it is just an example :)

There are also the Williams 19 & 30 wheelsets which come with ceramic bearings and low weight :)

105 or Ultregra hubs w/ any number of rims, DT spokes.......will add up to be a better rim than any listed so far and will have hubs that are much better. Much better hubs. Cost will be very close to $300.

But I don't want to build wheels. I also want higher profile, like 30 or 40 mm. Reynolds Shadow are the best so far for me (only 1630g).

Originally Posted by hardpenor .

But I don't want to build wheels. I also want higher profile, like 30 or 40 mm. Reynolds Shadow are the best so far for me (only 1630g).
Hi hardpenor, it sounds like you have answered your own question :)

Are there better factory made wheelsets than those you have listed, well its sound like alienator might know of some Shimano made wheelsets that he considers as good or better for about the same price :)

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi hardpenor, it sounds like you have answered your own question :)

It seems like you are shopping from Australia (Oz), is that right?
So the question is are there better factory made wheelsets than those you have listed that you can from Oz., for the same or less price.
I do not know, but Its sound like alienator might know of some Shimano made wheelsets that he considers as good or better for about the same price or even cheaper. :)

Originally Posted by KLabs .

...well its sound like alienator might know of some Shimano made wheelsets that he considers as good or better for about the same price :)
Hmmm. I'm not a Shimano player, but it can't be denied their upper level wheels are damned fine. Sure, they're not Campy Neutrons or Boras, but it's tough to be perfect when you're not Campagnolo....../img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif