Pro spotting

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mark Fennell, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    Well, sort of.

    Last night at our local Santa Barbara 5K evening running race, Roy Knickman shows up and does a
    17:30. It's certainly not national class, but that seems like a respectable time for a ~40 year old
    former bike racer.

    Does anyone know of any high-level runners that crossed over to high-level bike racing, or vice
    versa? (Besides Lance of course.) There used to be a good cat 1 in Northern California named Benton
    Hart who had been a very fast 10K runner, like under 30:00.

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, sort of.
    >
    > Last night at our local Santa Barbara 5K evening running race, Roy Knickman shows up and does a
    > 17:30. It's certainly not national class, but that seems like a respectable time for a ~40 year
    > old former bike racer.
    >
    > Does anyone know of any high-level runners that crossed over to high-level bike racing, or vice
    > versa? (Besides Lance of course.) There used to be a good cat 1 in Northern California named
    > Benton Hart who had been a very fast 10K runner, like under 30:00.
    >
    > Mark

    Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as a
    pro for several years. He could not handle the riding in the pack very well and I am sure this
    affected his results. I don't remember is he ever got his skills together enough to do well. He was
    on some fairly high profile teams though, so there has to be some relatively easy to find history,
    palmares or stories about him.

  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Well, sort of.
    > >
    > > Last night at our local Santa Barbara 5K evening running race, Roy Knickman shows up and does a
    > > 17:30. It's certainly not national class, but that seems like a respectable time for a ~40 year
    > > old former bike racer.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of any high-level runners that crossed over to high-level bike racing, or vice
    > > versa? (Besides Lance of course.) There used to be a good cat 1 in Northern California named
    > > Benton Hart who had been a very fast 10K runner, like under 30:00.
    > >
    > > Mark
    >
    > Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as a
    > pro for several years. He could not handle the riding in the pack very well and I am sure this
    > affected his results. I don't remember is he ever got his skills together enough to do well. He
    > was on some fairly high profile teams though, so there has to be some relatively easy to find
    > history, palmares or stories about him.

    Inga Thompson (Benedict) too.

    -WG

  4. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as a
    > pro for several years. He could not handle the riding in the pack very well and I am sure this
    > affected his results. I don't remember is he ever got his skills together enough to do well.

    You've got your head up your ass.

    Engleman won *a lot*.

  5. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as
    > > a pro for several years. He could not handle
    the
    > > riding in the pack very well and I am sure this affected his results. I don't remember is he
    > > ever got his skills together enough to do well.
    >

    > You've got your head up your ass.
    >

    > Engleman won *a lot*.

    I said I don't remeber. You use that "head up your ass" to cover a lot. Do you have anything to add
    other than that?