Pro spotting

Mark Fennell

Guest
Well, sort of.

Last night at our local Santa Barbara 5K evening running race, Roy Knickman shows up and does a
17:30. It's certainly not national class, but that seems like a respectable time for a ~40 year old
former bike racer.

Does anyone know of any high-level runners that crossed over to high-level bike racing, or vice
versa? (Besides Lance of course.) There used to be a good cat 1 in Northern California named Benton
Hart who had been a very fast 10K runner, like under 30:00.

Mark

"Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well, sort of.
>
> Last night at our local Santa Barbara 5K evening running race, Roy Knickman shows up and does a
> 17:30. It's certainly not national class, but that seems like a respectable time for a ~40 year
> old former bike racer.
>
> Does anyone know of any high-level runners that crossed over to high-level bike racing, or vice
> versa? (Besides Lance of course.) There used to be a good cat 1 in Northern California named
> Benton Hart who had been a very fast 10K runner, like under 30:00.
>
> Mark

Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as a
pro for several years. He could not handle the riding in the pack very well and I am sure this
affected his results. I don't remember is he ever got his skills together enough to do well. He was
on some fairly high profile teams though, so there has to be some relatively easy to find history,
palmares or stories about him.

In article <[email protected]>, Nick Burns <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Mark Fennell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Well, sort of.
> >
> > Last night at our local Santa Barbara 5K evening running race, Roy Knickman shows up and does a
> > 17:30. It's certainly not national class, but that seems like a respectable time for a ~40 year
> > old former bike racer.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any high-level runners that crossed over to high-level bike racing, or vice
> > versa? (Besides Lance of course.) There used to be a good cat 1 in Northern California named
> > Benton Hart who had been a very fast 10K runner, like under 30:00.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as a
> pro for several years. He could not handle the riding in the pack very well and I am sure this
> affected his results. I don't remember is he ever got his skills together enough to do well. He
> was on some fairly high profile teams though, so there has to be some relatively easy to find
> history, palmares or stories about him.

Inga Thompson (Benedict) too.

-WG

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as a
> pro for several years. He could not handle the riding in the pack very well and I am sure this
> affected his results. I don't remember is he ever got his skills together enough to do well.

You've got your head up your ass.

Engleman won *a lot*.

> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Mike Engleman. He was a fairly successful long distance runner and then raced bikes in the US as
> > a pro for several years. He could not handle
the
> > riding in the pack very well and I am sure this affected his results. I don't remember is he
> > ever got his skills together enough to do well.
>

> You've got your head up your ass.
>

> Engleman won *a lot*.

I said I don't remeber. You use that "head up your ass" to cover a lot. Do you have anything to add
other than that?