pro tour education...please

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
so from the UCI webite...I gather that the pro tour is a collection of teams..that must compete at every race in a certain set of races. I understand that this is bad for small teams who don't have the budget to compete at all races. Also..this is good for tv and such because big name teams are guarnteed to be there...other than that I am dumb to the pro tour... What kind of people are for it? (who stands to make money?) Who is against the pro tour? (who stands to make less money?) Where do the riders stand? Is there anything else I need to know about the definition of the pro tour? At the risk of a little controversy...what do YOU think about the pro tour? Please answer as little or as much as you wish. thanks.

Looking at the UCI website I didn't realize the ProTour was so extensive in terms of all the events that were under its jurisdiction. I thought it was just the Giro, Tour, and Vuelta. Apart from forcing teams to send riders to more events, it'll probably have little impact on much else.

It replaces the world cup. Hence, most of the world cup races are included in the pro tour.

One of the big sticking points was that the three grand tours did not want to be involved with the whole thing. They're still not happy about it but agreed to take part.

Here are all ProTour races and all ProTour teams must participate in them. There is no World Cup anymore, it`s just Pro Tour! Here is how the rankings will count.
Especially people from UCI are for ProTour, against are mostly smaller teams, who will now not be able to participate in home races - eg. smaller italian teams in Giro, smaller spanish in Vuelta and grand tours organisers, who for example want to be free to choose the teams to ride their tours...

Virenque said:
There is no World Cup anymore, it`s just Pro Tour!

I think I said that. Yes I did.

"It replaces the world cup. Hence, most of the world cup races are included in the pro tour."

World cup races meaning races that at one time were part of the WC.

Eh, you weren`t..often I`m angry too if someone repeats something I have already written..:D

Virenque said:
Eh, you weren`t..often I`m angry too if someone repeats something I have already written..:D
Also the number One rider will be picked by using a point system from the Pro Tour event. The leader will have a special jersey.
Another thing is that all the pro tour teams are automatically in the Tour so the Tour selection won't be as much of a circus.
It really isn't that much different than the old system.