Probably not a spoiler - US Postal Team Car

Danny Colyer

Guest
I'm not sure what I pressed on my hard drive recorder remote control
this evening. I was recording the Tour and watching it at the same
time. I paused the coverage as it was being broadcast (that's what I
really love about my hard drive recorder) and rewound it a bit, then I
pressed something that stopped it recording, cleared the buffer on the
broadcast coverage *and* returned me to the bit that was currently being
broadcast.

In all I can't have missed more than a couple of minutes, but the very
last bit that I recorded was one of the commentators saying that the US
Postal team car had been relegated to the back of the procession. The
recording cut out before he said why, so now DW and I are itching to
know the reason.

Why has the US Postal team car been relegated to the back?

On 22-Jul-2004, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Why has the US Postal team car been relegated to the back?

It nearly collided with a motorbike yesterday

Ian

wheelsgoround wrote:

> On 22-Jul-2004, Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Why has the US Postal team car been relegated to the back?

> It nearly collided with a motorbike yesterday
>
> Ian

Wasn't it cos it got between the bike and the rider? Something about a
rule requiring the car not get between the two. Didn't hear it
completely, but I'm watching today's taped, and I know they mentioned it
(complete with footage of motorbike's gesticulations and pointing at the
team car number).

--

Velvet

wheelsgoround wrote:
> It nearly collided with a motorbike yesterday

Thanks.

It must have been quite a challenge driving up the Alpe d'Huez without
knocking over any spectators, let alone keeping an eye out for the
motorbikes as well. Not that that's any excuse.

Danny Colyer said:
I'm not sure what I pressed on my hard drive recorder remote control
this evening. I was recording the Tour and watching it at the same
time. I paused the coverage as it was being broadcast (that's what I
really love about my hard drive recorder) and rewound it a bit, then I
pressed something that stopped it recording, cleared the buffer on the
broadcast coverage *and* returned me to the bit that was currently being
broadcast.

In all I can't have missed more than a couple of minutes, but the very
last bit that I recorded was one of the commentators saying that the US
Postal team car had been relegated to the back of the procession. The
recording cut out before he said why, so now DW and I are itching to
know the reason.

Why has the US Postal team car been relegated to the back?

I think for nearly hitting a spectator...

Danny Colyer wrote:

> It must have been quite a challenge driving up the Alpe d'Huez without
> knocking over any spectators,

Yes. It must have been very tempting! Morons galore up there yesterday.

Danny Colyer wrote:

> I'm not sure what I pressed on my hard drive recorder remote control
> this evening.

> In all I can't have missed more than a couple of minutes, but the very
> last bit that I recorded was one of the commentators saying that the US
> Postal team car had been relegated to the back of the procession. The
> recording cut out before he said why, so now DW and I are itching to
> know the reason.
>
> Why has the US Postal team car been relegated to the back?

The full story is at:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul22news4

Which starts:
As a result of an "dangerous driving" in yesterday's l'Alpe d'Huez time
trial, US Postal director Johan Bruyneel's car was relegated to the back
of the caravan for today's stage 17. The race jury ruled that Bruyneel
hindered a TV cameraman that was filming Armstrong near the start of the
climb. But Bruyneel argued that he had a prior agreement to be there,
and finally persuaded the jury to reinstate him at the front of the
caravan before the start today.

John B

JohnB:
> As a result of an "dangerous driving" in yesterday's l'Alpe d'Huez time
> trial, US Postal director Johan Bruyneel's car was relegated to the back
> of the caravan for today's stage 17.

And what ****ing difference did it make?

d.

JohnB wrote:
> Danny Colyer wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure what I pressed on my hard drive recorder remote control
>> this evening.

>> In all I can't have missed more than a couple of minutes, but the
>> very last bit that I recorded was one of the commentators saying
>> that the US Postal team car had been relegated to the back of the
>> procession. The recording cut out before he said why, so now DW and
>> I are itching to know the reason.
>>
>> Why has the US Postal team car been relegated to the back?

> The full story is at:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul22news4
>
> Which starts:
> As a result of an "dangerous driving" in yesterday's l'Alpe d'Huez
> time trial, US Postal director Johan Bruyneel's car was relegated to
> the back of the caravan for today's stage 17. The race jury ruled
> that Bruyneel hindered a TV cameraman that was filming Armstrong near
> the start of the climb. But Bruyneel argued that he had a prior
> agreement to be there, and finally persuaded the jury to reinstate
> him at the front of the caravan before the start today.
>
> John B

That's nothing! The Gerolsteiner decided to start the wrong way /down/ the
mountain before the riders had finished coming /up/!

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 23:04:39 GMT, JohnB <[email protected]> wrote:

>The full story is at:
>
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jul04/jul22news4
>
>Which starts:
>As a result of an "dangerous driving" in yesterday's l'Alpe d'Huez time
>trial, US Postal director Johan Bruyneel's car was relegated to the back
>of the caravan for today's stage 17. The race jury ruled that Bruyneel
>hindered a TV cameraman that was filming Armstrong near the start of the
>climb. But Bruyneel argued that he had a prior agreement to be there,
>and finally persuaded the jury to reinstate him at the front of the
>caravan before the start today.

Bit OT

Hi John

Re: "There was an agreement before the race with Jean-Marie Leblanc
and John Lelangue that for security reasons, I would go directly
behind Lance until the barriers," Bruyneel explained to Cyclingnews
today.

The commentators occasionally mention that one cannot get a true idea
of the steepness of a slope on TV. I've often thought that a camera
looking downhill, back from in front the rider, gives a far better
impression of the severity of the more gnarly climbs.

James