Problem Chain..

Mitchell Mandel

Guest
The chain on my Bike has this Dry lube clear stuff on it from the factory.

Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me concerned. is sand crunching
through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?

It makes this horrible sound. not the sound I want it too make which is next to nothing. The rear
deore Clicks every now and then the sound they make when they want to change gears for no reason.. I
cant tell if its the sand crunching or a dodgy derailer. any thoughts or opinions velcom. thankyou

mitchell mandell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The chain on my Bike has this Dry lube clear stuff on it from the factory.
>
> Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me concerned. is sand
> crunching through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?

No - it will cause wear - clean the chain thoroughly with a degreaser of some sort, and apply a
good lube.

> It makes this horrible sound. not the sound I want it too make which is
next
> to nothing. The rear deore Clicks every now and then the sound they make when they want to change
> gears for no reason.. I cant tell if its the sand crunching or a dodgy derailer. any thoughts or
> opinions velcom. thankyou

If this persists after you clean and re lube the chain, check the derailleur is adjusted properly
(small barrely adjusters at each end of the cable).

Shaun aRe

"mitchell mandell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The chain on my Bike has this Dry lube clear stuff on it from the factory.
>
> Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me concerned. is sand
> crunching through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?
>
> It makes this horrible sound. not the sound I want it too make which is
next
> to nothing. The rear deore Clicks every now and then the sound they make when they want to change
> gears for no reason.. I cant tell if its the sand crunching or a dodgy derailer. any thoughts or
> opinions velcom. thankyou

Clean the chain if you want to get rid of the sand. The factory goop (wait a moment for others to
argue about what it is and whether or not it's a lube) is extraordinarily sticky. Just clean it and
relube, should fix the sand problem. After that you can tell if the derailer needs adjusting.

Chris

> Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me concerned. is sand
> crunching through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?

I live in a very dry, dusty climate and I find this situation unavoidable. Now if it's coarse sand
you're talking about, you should definitely clean the drivetrain. I think even if I cleaned my
chain after every ride it would still sound gritty... so instead I use WL wax lube after every
ride. I don't THINK my parts wear out uncommonly fast, but then again, I've never lived anywhere
else to compare.

-John Morgan

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:VhCPa.1190$zy.1043@fed1read06... <snip>
> I don't THINK my parts wear out uncommonly fast, but then again, I've
never
> lived anywhere else to compare.
>
> -John Morgan

Your parts wear out!!??!!- oo-er, poor John...... They shouldn't wear out John!, you're obviously
doing it wrong...and if you're in any doubt, you show me yours and I'll show you mine !...used mine
lots and still looking as good as the first time ;-) Reminds me of the - 'Do you smoke ?'....'Only
if I go real fast!'

cheers, Dave.

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:VhCPa.1190$zy.1043@fed1read06...
> > Sand has attached itself all over it. sparingly. but enough to make me concerned. is sand
> > crunching through the Chain and rear derailer safe ?
>
> I live in a very dry, dusty climate and I find this situation unavoidable. Now if it's coarse sand
> you're talking about, you should definitely clean the drivetrain. I think even if I cleaned my
> chain after every ride it would still sound gritty... so instead I use WL wax lube after every
> ride. I don't THINK my parts wear out uncommonly fast, but then again, I've
never
> lived anywhere else to compare.
>
> -John Morgan

John, I live in the very same climate and have recently changed my lube. For a long time I was using
Triflow, but a year ago the LBS turned me onto White Lightening(WL). The wax lube is nice, easy to
apply, keeps the chain looking good, sheds dust and dirt pretty well ... EXCEPT when it gets wet!
High mountain rides around here usually have a couple of little stream crossings, runoff from some
snow 30 feet up the trail. In almost every case after crossing a creek, the chain begins to go to
sh#t, and gets worse as the ride goes along. My riding buddy recently had the same experience on a
ride we did, he had a WL chain, mine was my back-up bike with TriFlow, and despite very little
maintenence of this chain, it performed great.

I'm back to TriFlow on the both mountain bikes, it picks up a little more dust, but performs better
over the long haul. I'll save the WL for the road bike where I avoid crossing streams :)

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)