Problem changing small chainring on Campy Record 10 speed crank

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ted, Dec 21, 2003.

  1. Ted

    Ted Guest

    I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
    crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
    small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on the
    small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner cage
    was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the small
    chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank? I'm wondering if a different brand chainring
    would work?

    P.S. I know this doesn't really lower the gear ratios by much, but it was nice when going up some
    steep hills.

    Thanks for any info, Ted

    Tags:

  2. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Campy specifies a maximum fron chainring difference of 23 teeth.
    What is your largest chain ring?
    Can you lower the Front Derailer and still have adequate clearance for the big ring?
    Have you thought of using a chain stop device like Jump Stop by n-gear?
    If you are interested, take a look at URL:
    http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/
    Disclosure: I have no connections to N-gear other than as a satisfied customer. I use them on all my triple front bikes.

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Ted wrote:
    > I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
    > crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
    > small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on
    > the small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner
    > cage was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the
    > small chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank? I'm wondering if a different brand
    > chainring would work?
    >
    > P.S. I know this doesn't really lower the gear ratios by much, but it was nice when going up some
    > steep hills.
    >

    > Thanks for any info, Ted
    Ted, I have the Centaur triple. Originally a 50/40/30 setup. I changed out the 30 for a 26 toothed
    ring made by Salsa. My B/B is a Phil Wood 111mm. Not the asymetrical one that Campy suggests to use
    with Record triple. I hate to say this but, this setup shifts flawlessly. After riding this setup
    for the last couple of months I've yet to drop the chain when shifting to the granny ring. In my
    opinion Record shifters for the front derailor shift better in triple mode than in double mode. I
    did the change over from double to triple by myself. It was very easy.

    My best guess is that you have the limit screws on the front derailor
    set improperly. Another guess is that you have the wrong size B/B.
    Maybe you have the front derailor cage set too far above the big ring.

    Hope this helps, Kenny Lee

  4. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    daveornee wrote:
    > Ted wrote:
    > > I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
    > > crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to
    > > the small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off.
    >
    > Campy specifies a maximum fron chainring difference of 23 teeth.

    Yes, but lots of us know from experience that you can push this limit a bit. For another data point,
    I changed my 30/42/52 Campy Racing-T crank to a 26/42/52 for a long hilly ride. [lower hill gears
    and still the narrow-spaced cassette for pacelines]

    Front shifting to and from the little ring was less smooth, so I took it carefully, but I didn't
    drop the chain. Switched back to 30/42/52 for less epic rides.

    I'd second the earlier suggestion to check that the derailleur cage isn't too high above the rings.
    I'm pretty sure the chainline on the Record triple is different from that on the Racing-T, so maybe
    it's harder to make undersized rings work with the Record.

    Good luck, Mark Janeba

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Ted wrote:
    > I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
    > crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
    > small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on
    > the small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner
    > cage was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the
    > small chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank?

    Not with 10sp but I have done sucessfully with Campag 9sp cranks - to 29, 28, 26 and even 24T

    Angle of front derailleur is absoultely crucial. Keep trying different rotations (and heights and
    cable tensions and limit settings) and you should get it working eventually. If not, a "chain
    watcher" device can be fitted to prevent chain coming off. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-
    adjustment.html

    > I'm wondering if a different brand chainring would work?

    I don't think so if the chain is missing the ring.

    ~PB

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Ted wrote:

    > I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
    > crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
    > small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on
    > the small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner
    > cage was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the
    > small chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank? I'm wondering if a different brand
    > chainring would work?
    >
    > P.S. I know this doesn't really lower the gear ratios by much, but it was nice when going up some
    > steep hills.

    If you easily overshoot the middle to inner shift, just add a "chain watcher". They are designed for
    just that problem and they work quite well. That syndrome is common enough with all brands of
    equipment so you shouldn't feel it's your lack of mechanical skill. Add the chain guide.

    30/28 is about 7%.

  7. tedcamp-<< I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came
    with the crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring
    to the small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. >><BR><BR>

    I have w/o problem, but you may want to invest in a chain watcher..also may bend the outer portion
    of the front der, the foward piece that pushes the chain offa the ring, out a wee bit. Also make
    sure it isn't canted ion toward the ring.

  8. Ted

    Ted Guest

    Thanks for the replies. I checked the front derailleur height and it is about 1.5 to 2mm above the
    big chainring. I'll try further adjustments of the f.d. I was looking at the BrandfordBike.com
    website and it states that they have used Salsa chainrings from 26 to 32 teeth on a Campy 10 spd
    triple crank. So I guess it should work. By the way, it is a 30/40/50 crank.

    Ted

  9. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    --

    Dave, have you looked at your posts here? They would be a lot more
    readable if you fix those little squares.

    --
    Ted Bennett
    Portland OR

  10. ted-<< Thanks for the replies. I checked the front derailleur height and it is about 1.5 to 2mm
    above the big chainring. >><BR><BR>

    Try lowering it. It likes to be low.