Problem changing small chainring on Campy Record 10 speed crank

Ted

Guest
I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on the
small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner cage
was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the small
chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank? I'm wondering if a different brand chainring
would work?

P.S. I know this doesn't really lower the gear ratios by much, but it was nice when going up some
steep hills.

Thanks for any info, Ted

Originally posted by Ted
I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on the
small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner cage
was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the small
chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank? I'm wondering if a different brand chainring
would work?

P.S. I know this doesn't really lower the gear ratios by much, but it was nice when going up some
steep hills.

Thanks for any info, Ted

Campy specifies a maximum fron chainring difference of 23 teeth.
What is your largest chain ring?
Can you lower the Front Derailer and still have adequate clearance for the big ring?
Have you thought of using a chain stop device like Jump Stop by n-gear?
If you are interested, take a look at URL:
http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/
Disclosure: I have no connections to N-gear other than as a satisfied customer. I use them on all my triple front bikes.

Ted wrote:
> I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
> crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
> small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on
> the small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner
> cage was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the
> small chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank? I'm wondering if a different brand
> chainring would work?
>
> P.S. I know this doesn't really lower the gear ratios by much, but it was nice when going up some
> steep hills.
>

> Thanks for any info, Ted
Ted, I have the Centaur triple. Originally a 50/40/30 setup. I changed out the 30 for a 26 toothed
ring made by Salsa. My B/B is a Phil Wood 111mm. Not the asymetrical one that Campy suggests to use
with Record triple. I hate to say this but, this setup shifts flawlessly. After riding this setup
for the last couple of months I've yet to drop the chain when shifting to the granny ring. In my
opinion Record shifters for the front derailor shift better in triple mode than in double mode. I
did the change over from double to triple by myself. It was very easy.

My best guess is that you have the limit screws on the front derailor
set improperly. Another guess is that you have the wrong size B/B.
Maybe you have the front derailor cage set too far above the big ring.

Hope this helps, Kenny Lee

daveornee wrote:
> Ted wrote:
> > I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
> > crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to
> > the small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off.
>
> Campy specifies a maximum fron chainring difference of 23 teeth.

Yes, but lots of us know from experience that you can push this limit a bit. For another data point,
I changed my 30/42/52 Campy Racing-T crank to a 26/42/52 for a long hilly ride. [lower hill gears
and still the narrow-spaced cassette for pacelines]

Front shifting to and from the little ring was less smooth, so I took it carefully, but I didn't
drop the chain. Switched back to 30/42/52 for less epic rides.

I'd second the earlier suggestion to check that the derailleur cage isn't too high above the rings.
I'm pretty sure the chainline on the Record triple is different from that on the Racing-T, so maybe
it's harder to make undersized rings work with the Record.

Good luck, Mark Janeba

Ted wrote:
> I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
> crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
> small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on
> the small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner
> cage was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the
> small chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank?

Not with 10sp but I have done sucessfully with Campag 9sp cranks - to 29, 28, 26 and even 24T

Angle of front derailleur is absoultely crucial. Keep trying different rotations (and heights and
cable tensions and limit settings) and you should get it working eventually. If not, a "chain
watcher" device can be fitted to prevent chain coming off. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-
adjustment.html

> I'm wondering if a different brand chainring would work?

I don't think so if the chain is missing the ring.

~PB

Ted wrote:

> I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came with the
> crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring to the
> small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. If I put the chain on
> the small chainring it would stay there. I tried adjusting the front derailleur so that the inner
> cage was very close to the small chainring but this didn't help. Has anybody tried changing the
> small chainring on a Campy Record 10 speed triple crank? I'm wondering if a different brand
> chainring would work?
>
> P.S. I know this doesn't really lower the gear ratios by much, but it was nice when going up some
> steep hills.

If you easily overshoot the middle to inner shift, just add a "chain watcher". They are designed for
just that problem and they work quite well. That syndrome is common enough with all brands of
equipment so you shouldn't feel it's your lack of mechanical skill. Add the chain guide.

30/28 is about 7%.

tedcamp-<< I bought a 28-tooth chainring with 74 bcd to replace the 30-tooth chainring that came
with the crank. It seemed to go on okay, however whenever I switched over from the middle chainring
to the small chainring it would miss the chainring and the chain would fall off. >><BR><BR>

I have w/o problem, but you may want to invest in a chain watcher..also may bend the outer portion
of the front der, the foward piece that pushes the chain offa the ring, out a wee bit. Also make
sure it isn't canted ion toward the ring.

Thanks for the replies. I checked the front derailleur height and it is about 1.5 to 2mm above the
big chainring. I'll try further adjustments of the f.d. I was looking at the BrandfordBike.com
website and it states that they have used Salsa chainrings from 26 to 32 teeth on a Campy 10 spd
triple crank. So I guess it should work. By the way, it is a 30/40/50 crank.

Ted

--

Dave, have you looked at your posts here? They would be a lot more
readable if you fix those little squares.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

ted-<< Thanks for the replies. I checked the front derailleur height and it is about 1.5 to 2mm
above the big chainring. >><BR><BR>

Try lowering it. It likes to be low.