Problem fitting SON dynohub into fork?

Zog The Undeniable

Guest
Does anyone else use one of these, and is it unusually tight in the
dropouts? A wheel built on an XT front hub goes in with no trouble at
all. The SON wheel needs a good push and even then I'm not convinced
it's in straight - both wheels are properly dished but the SON wheel
seems to sit 1-2mm over to one side, possibly because one side of the
axle isn't fully home. Maybe the axle is a little oversize?

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Does anyone else use one of these, and is it unusually tight in the
> dropouts? A wheel built on an XT front hub goes in with no trouble at
> all. The SON wheel needs a good push and even then I'm not convinced
> it's in straight - both wheels are properly dished but the SON wheel
> seems to sit 1-2mm over to one side, possibly because one side of the
> axle isn't fully home. Maybe the axle is a little oversize?

No problem for me. My other front wheel is a 1990 XT.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> Does anyone else use one of these, and is it unusually tight in the
> dropouts? A wheel built on an XT front hub goes in with no trouble at
> all. The SON wheel needs a good push and even then I'm not convinced
> it's in straight - both wheels are properly dished but the SON wheel
> seems to sit 1-2mm over to one side, possibly because one side of the
> axle isn't fully home. Maybe the axle is a little oversize?

I have one and it fits into the dropouts with no problems at all.

--
Dave...

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the
future of the human race. - H. G. Wells

I have one also and have no problems fitting it into my forks dropouts.

John

"Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Does anyone else use one of these, and is it unusually tight in the
> dropouts? A wheel built on an XT front hub goes in with no trouble at
> all. The SON wheel needs a good push and even then I'm not convinced it's
> in straight - both wheels are properly dished but the SON wheel seems to
> sit 1-2mm over to one side, possibly because one side of the axle isn't
> fully home. Maybe the axle is a little oversize?

> "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Does anyone else use one of these, and is it unusually tight in the
> > dropouts? A wheel built on an XT front hub goes in with no trouble at
> > all. The SON wheel needs a good push and even then I'm not convinced it's
> > in straight - both wheels are properly dished but the SON wheel seems to
> > sit 1-2mm over to one side, possibly because one side of the axle isn't
> > fully home. Maybe the axle is a little oversize?

Dropouts are usually plastered with paint. XT axles are threaded and cut
into the paint. The SON axle (and Hugi, and..) doesn't as it is smooth.
Reducing the paintthickness with emerycloth wrapped around a file should
help
--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

m-gineering wrote:

> Dropouts are usually plastered with paint. XT axles are threaded and cut
> into the paint. The SON axle (and Hugi, and..) doesn't as it is smooth.
> Reducing the paintthickness with emerycloth wrapped around a file should
> help

I just tried it without the skewer and it is still stiff but does sit
centrally when all the way in. I might have to try the file.

Got it! The XT axle is M9 (9mm at the widest point of the threads) but
the SON axle is 10mm plain s/s. Time to get the file out...