problem installing SRM FSA

MintID

Sep 22, 2006
So I just bought my SRM FSA.
I have a slight/big problem though.
I can only get the spindle from the FSA, about 2-3 inches into the bottom bracket.
I don't know if i should just use more force, but it doesn't seem to be the solution.
My bottom bracket is a Italian bottom bracket (36x24) I don't know if that makes any difference.
My old spindle looks like this

fsa-ti-cromo-spindle-5.jpg

and the new one on the fsa has a more squared end. (I think it's called Octalink V2)

like this

product_490017.jpg

MintID said:
So I just bought my SRM FSA.
I have a slight/big problem though.
I can only get the spindle from the FSA, about 2-3 inches into the bottom bracket.
I don't know if i should just use more force, but it doesn't seem to be the solution.
My bottom bracket is a Italian bottom bracket (36x24) I don't know if that makes any difference.
This may-or-may-not resolve your problem, BUT ...

If your frame has a plastic cable guide UNDER the bottom bracket shell, the bolt may be "too long" and consequently interfering with the BB ... so, replace the bolt with a shorter one OR simply back the bolt out a bit, insert the BB, & re-tighten the bolt (you may want to add a washer/spacer if the bolt won't snug up).

To state what is hopefully obvious -- DON'T USE FORCE!

I take that you have the FSA SRM - with intergrated spindle and a MegaExo BB unit, right? If so, you should have a sleeve that goes into the MegaExo BB - so there is no way anything should interfere... Maybe the plastic cover of the BB got loose?

MiSzA said:
I take that you have the FSA SRM - with intergrated spindle and a MegaExo BB unit, right? If so, you should have a sleeve that goes into the MegaExo BB - so there is no way anything should interfere... Maybe the plastic cover of the BB got loose?
yeah that's what I have.
Which plastic cover are you talking about?
The dura ace spindle I have, fits without any problems. So I can't really understand why this FSA doesn't fit through.

MintID said:
yeah that's what I have.
Which plastic cover are you talking about?
The dura ace spindle I have, fits without any problems. So I can't really understand why this FSA doesn't fit through.
Okay, now there is a HUGE difference between MegaExo/Hollowtech-II & Octalink ...

If you have a MegaExo-type crank, then try this:
  • Remove the non-driveside cup ...
  • insert the lightly-greased spindle, insert the plastic sleeve, thread the non-driveside cup into the BB shell ...
  • attach the non-driveside arm ...
THAT's one way I have installed a crank with a MegaExo-type BB.

alfeng said:
Okay, now there is a HUGE difference between MegaExo/Hollowtech-II & Octalink ...

If you have a MegaExo-type crank, then try this:
  • Remove the non-driveside cup ...
  • insert the lightly-greased spindle, insert the plastic sleeve, thread the non-driveside cup into the BB shell ...
  • attach the non-driveside arm ...
THAT's one way I have installed a crank with a MegaExo-type BB.
Personally, if you have a $3000 piece of kit and you have questions, I'd be calling SRM first. I know there are some good folk on here but there's a time and a place for 1-800-needhelp.

Since you got an SRM, make sure you use torque the chainring bolts properly. ;)

swampy1970 said:
Personally, if you have a $3000 piece of kit and you have questions, I'd be calling SRM first. I know there are some good folk on here but there's a time and a place for 1-800-needhelp.

Since you got an SRM, make sure you use torque the chainring bolts properly. ;)
FWIW. I heartily agree that the OP may need to contact SRM ... or, bring the crank into his LBS for installation ...

BECAUSE, we're talking about what should be a fairly straight forward installation.

BUT, if I were MintID, I would remove the cups & sleeve from the frame, and try to piece the crank & bottom bracket together to ensure that there aren't issues with the frame (e.g., the previously mentioned BOLT on the chance that it isn't an "external" BB) OR if other discernable issues can be identified.

BTW. If the BB shell needs facing (hopefully, not), then the bearings may not be aligned; and, the spindle MAY conseqently be skewed by a fraction of a millimeter.

alfeng said:
FWIW. I heartily agree that the OP may need to contact SRM ... or, bring the crank into his LBS for installation ...

BECAUSE, we're talking about what should be a fairly straight forward installation.

BUT, if I were MintID, I would remove the cups & sleeve from the frame, and try to piece the crank & bottom bracket together to ensure that there aren't issues with the frame (e.g., the previously mentioned BOLT on the chance that it isn't an "external" BB) OR if other discernable issues can be identified.

BTW. If the BB shell needs facing (hopefully, not), then the bearings may not be aligned; and, the spindle MAY conseqently be skewed by a fraction of a millimeter.
sounds like my best course of action is taking it to my LBS.
I'll let you guys know what happens.

my LBS installed it...
The mechanic told me that he used a rubber hammer to make it fit :eek:.
he said me measured the difference to 0.1mm or something like that. But the powermeter seems to work fine, at least it seems that way from the 5 minutes I've had to test it.