Problem: saddle tilting

mickeord

Aug 6, 2003
Hi!
I have a Wilier 101 SR from 2014/2015 with a Wilier-branded Selle Italia and a Ritchey Super Logic post on top of the integrated seat post.
Lately my saddle has started to tilt forward/downward in the nose as soon as a ride through a bump.
I doesn't matter how hard I turn the index bolt.
Desperate for a solution I tried a paste for carbon seat post (since it has granulated material) to stop the seat slipping. It didn't help.
Anyone with an idea?
(btw I tried to upload a photo via Imgur, but it didn't work).

Do you have the two bolt micro tilt type seat post?

Or the single bolt ribbed carriage type?

I had a single bolt carriage type on a bike, 2005 model. It started to slip down on the nose when I hit bumps. I tried several times to tighten but seems the ribs along the carriage got stripped or wore down so the tilt would not keep.

I ended up replacing the post with the two bolt micro adjust style and never looked back. Much better setup.

Hi!
I have a Wilier 101 SR from 2014/2015 with a Wilier-branded Selle Italia and a Ritchey Super Logic post on top of the integrated seat post.
Lately my saddle has started to tilt forward/downward in the nose as soon as a ride through a bump.
I doesn't matter how hard I turn the index bolt.
Desperate for a solution I tried a paste for carbon seat post (since it has granulated material) to stop the seat slipping. It didn't help.
Anyone with an idea?
(btw I tried to upload a photo via Imgur, but it didn't work).
That seat post will NEVER stop rotating. What I did was to take some semi-coarse sandpaper and rub in in the through hole NOT to smooth anything out but to leave sand in the way. This works mostly but NOT all the way. The two screw microadjust post like https://www.ebay.com/itm/2938555867...0X9yVvdGY%2BvZSZkBTT|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524 are the only thing that works the way they're supposed to.

If the serrations that give the tilt mechanism traction are worn or stripped, take it apart and freshen them up with a hand-file which has a triangular cross-section. I was working on such a single-bolt seat-post today with some hand files to increase it's range of motion and in test-riding it did not move over rough pavement with my 200 pounds on it. All of my bikes are old with the old single-bolt posts and I have had no trouble with any of them in the last few years, knock on wood.

Hey there! It seems like you're dealing with a worn or stripped tilt mechanism on your seat-post. Taking it apart and using a hand-file with a triangular cross-section to freshen up the serrations might do the trick. I actually had a similar situation today with a single-bolt seat-post. I used some hand files to increase its range of motion, but unfortunately, it didn't move smoothly on rough pavement when I tested it with my 200-pound weight.

By the way, I've been riding bikes for years, focusing on speed and aerodynamics. I've found that the old single-bolt seat-posts have been quite reliable for me. Hope my experience helps you out! Let me know if you have any other questions or need further advice. Keep those wheels spinning!